Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what do u feed ur 4-footed furry friends? page 4

waterjen is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    if I let my beagle eat as much as she wants, she'll explode. She acts like she's always hungry, but really she's just a glutton.
    A thought about this -- my last dog (not raw-fed) was like this. She always acted like she was starving, but I don't think she was starving for calories or volume. I think she was starving for nutrition. Your dog may drop the gluttonous behavior if she's getting real nourishment. After all, it works for humans as most people who made the switch from SAD to paleo can attest.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree with this, and the parallel with SAD diet did cross my mind. It's the main reason i'm considering switching her. I do believe it's the best diet, but cost is a factor for us. I'm still having trouble adjusting the mister to higher grocery bills as it is, and we can't even afford grass fed meat for ourselves. But, baby steps, i guess.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    As far as them acting like they could eat 24/7, you may also have to take into account what life was like before they came to live with you.

If food wasn't readily available, they're going to have a completely different mindset. They'll feel like they have to eat as much as possible since they don't understand it will be available again tomorrow and the next day.

Then again, some animals just eat everything in sight for no obvious reason.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    As far as them acting like they could eat 24/7, you may also have to take into account what life was like before they came to live with you.

If food wasn't readily available, they're going to have a completely different mindset. They'll feel like they have to eat as much as possible since they don't understand it will be available again tomorrow and the next day.

Then again, some animals just eat everything in sight for no obvious reason.
    Funny you should say this. The beagle has never known a hungry day - we've had her since she was a very small puppy. She is a vacuum cleaner.

The cat, on the other hand, was a stray that showed up on our doorstep at 8 weeks old, sick. She grazes lightly throughout the day, and sometimes doesn't eat at all. I think she's IFing. She won't even touch people food, ever.

No, my beagle is a pig, no doubt about it. I'm fairly sure it has a lot to do with the dog food, but she also just plain enjoys food. Like me!

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Some breeds tend towards the vaccum cleaner method.. Beagles are at the top of this list LOL (Not that they all do it.. but its a common breed trait)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Mine (170# English Mastiff & a 85#German Shep) get

Duck (Mince, necks & wings)
    Rabbit (Whole & Mince)
    Venison (Mince & Bones)
    Beef (Mince, Bones)
    Tripe(Chunks or mince)
    Oily Fish(mince)
    Lamb (Mince, Bones)
    Turkey (Mince, Necks)
    Mixed Mince (Beef & Liver, Beef & Heart etc)
    Pheasant (Mince, carcass)
    Pig trotters
    Free range eggs, scrambled lightly
    Whatever left over veg/fruit needs using up.
    Really? Your dogs get all this!? I want to come eat at your house!

We have two beaucerons, on the 90# range and I can't imagine feeding them premium food... Doesn't it cost a small fortune? I mean, I buy quality dry food, but free range eggs -- for the dogs??

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Really? Your dogs get all this!? I want to come eat at your house!

We have two beaucerons, on the 90# range and I can't imagine feeding them premium food... Doesn't it cost a small fortune? I mean, I buy quality dry food, but free range eggs -- for the dogs??
    LOL... funny.. I hear that a lot....
    I get the meat from a company that does it just for pet food, They deliver so I fill up a freezer about every 5-6 weeks, it works out around 23-25 a week to feed 2 Large dogs (Or one Large & one Giant )
    & the eggs (2.80 a dozen)come from the farmer up the road from me, I usually just get a couple extra cartons so they get eggs about 3 times a week.

All in I probably spend under 15 per dog each week so really not bad.. Plus my vet bills are pretty much non-exzistant
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234