Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First week of stronglifts, Last week of stronglifts page 3

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dips are a great compound move which allow you to move more weight. Closegrip bench press is fantastic also.

I used to perform skullcrushers (what you are calling french presses) lying on the floor, so each rep was taken from a dead stop. This eliminated momentum and worked the muscle harder.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 09-24-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Bicep curls (with curled barbell)
    Revers Bicep Curls
    French Curls

The only thing you should ever curl is your hair or your eye lashes. Do some heavy pull ups focusing on the negative and stop wasting your time.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    They're just triceps. No hyphen required. Tks.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You said you want to be a body builder?

Do you know the difference between bodybuilding and powerlifting programs for the first couple of years (starting from novice)?

There isn't one. You are trying to do an intermediate program to focus on bodybuilding without exhausting the gains you can get from a novice program. Having a solid foundation of real strength will get you better results when you actually get into bodybuilding.

Starting Strength or Stronglifts will get you better results faster. In three months of SL you'll be doing 5x5x225 for squats. If you are really too impatient for that, then I doubt you will ever make it as a bodybuilder.

Surefire1017 is offline Junior Member
    Hey just a bit of advice and explanation for others perceived hostility. first off its great you have made progress and want to take the next step. When people ask for advice and ignore what people are saying people get frustrated. Also, when people go through the mistakes of training for mass they get annoyed when they try to give advice since they reflect on the frustrations of their experience.

Okay so first off body building is something you do on top of an advanced muscular frame its the icing on the cake. All pros are roided up and even naturals are taking a slew of supps that I wouldnt say you should shove in your face. I think the best thing for anyone to do is a strength program with accessory work to balance out weaknesses in the core lifts. Muscularity is a benefit of strength, at the end of the day to get bigger you need to progress with heavier weight.

How I train is a combo of 531 triumvarate and west side principals with conditiong for tennis and metcon on the non lifting days. I suggest looking into 531 and doing that for about 4 months and then deciding if its for you (really seems like it would give you desired results) due to setting prs and llowing flexibility in the accessory work. Remember mobility and deep tissue work as well so you dont feel like trash on the reg.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Well I've decided I need to forget what I thought I knew about training. This morning I struggled to bench 115lbs, it was sad. I'm not strong and I need to get strong. When I first started training again at the end of September my goals were really more cosmetic than anything. This is a bad approach and my goals changed today when I could barely put up 115lbs. This is a major turning point for me, I felt really weak. I actually look pretty decent, I was just so obsessed with cutting the rest of the body fat, that's what cardio and dieting is for. I need to focus on strength when I lift, not calorie burn. I'm going to reread stronglifts and start again either wed or next Monday. You guys were right
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

patrickh is offline Member
    You need to stick with a Linear Progression program until you no longer progress. The beginner routine outlined in Starting Strength is good, but I prefer something more along the lines of the Greyskull method. Something like Greyskull should have you progressing for atleast a couple of years. Then you can switch to a modified weekly progression or some other intermediate program (ie Texas Method).

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I don't mean to butt in, but I've been doing stronglifts for about half a year now, and I've gotten great results so far - with my legs. I can squat at least my body weight (I'm not sure what my max is) and my last max deadlift was 250. On the other hand, I'm still using little more than the bar for push presses, and my max bench is only 90. I'm not sure if it's because, as a woman, it's more difficult for me to build upper body strength, or if I'm doing something wrong. What do you think?

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    I don't mean to butt in, but I've been doing stronglifts for about half a year now, and I've gotten great results so far - with my legs. I can squat at least my body weight (I'm not sure what my max is) and my last max deadlift was 250. On the other hand, I'm still using little more than the bar for push presses, and my max bench is only 90. I'm not sure if it's because, as a woman, it's more difficult for me to build upper body strength, or if I'm doing something wrong. What do you think?
    Is stronglift's all your doing? I'm building strength doing bodyweight exercises as well since I'm training for the military. At the end of my stronglifts sessions I do chin-up, dips, push-ups, inverted rows, and sit-ups. Also usually do push-ups and sit-ups when I first wake up. Swimming on off days and going to start running soon. Again I'm training for the military so I need to develop good all around strength and bodyweight exercises are great way to do it on top of the big compound lifts I'm doing with SL.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Start running like a mad man if you're going to the military. Unless you're going navy, then no worries.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast