Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is YOUR version of "Primal" eating? page 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been gluten/soy/dairy free for 5+ years.

I went whole-hog low-fat paleo around a year and a half ago, mainly to keep my MS in remission.

Started experimenting with being higher fat, totally gained a bunch of weight and felt like crap. In general, my overall health started declining, severe fatigue, huge IBS flares, low blood pressure, sleep quality in the crapper...

Now I'm high carb+high sugar and low fat (still maintaining the most important aspects of paleo, which to me are no gluten/soy/dairy/omega6 crap oils and trying to minimize fiber, lectins, and anti-nutrients. I have to say that I've made some significant health improvements swapping the high fat for high carb, and while philosophically I really want to be gung-ho about high fat primal, my body just doesn't respond well to it anymore, and it's thriving on high carb.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I have to say that I've made some significant health improvements swapping the high fat for high carb, and while philosophically I really want to be gung-ho about high fat primal, my body just doesn't respond well to it anymore, and it's thriving on high carb.

Interesting. Glad to read this. I just heard this week about eating for your metabolic type. Might be snake-oil like hype, but it suggests that some do better on high carb, low fat. That is actually type B. I am thinking I might be a type B, or a Type C - that is if there is anything to this. All I know is that when I was dieting SAD way, my carbs were higher, my fats were low and I was losing 10lbs a month. I switched to primal, and have slowed to 4lbs a month. So I am thinking my balance is primal foods, but shift the macros. But FIRST, I am going to try the type C, which is about a 3rd split, because I am already low carbing, so I don't want to swing that far yet.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Methabolic type is what rendered me half-dead! According to them i was the type to eat 70% from carbs and <15% from fat. Which I did, ending up starved to the point of distraction in a few months. I would devour everything I brought with me by 10 am in the office and have about 1 or 2 hours in the afternoon when I had to hold the desk with my white fingers. I had to search for something else the day I realized that i was not digging out and devouring an orange peel from the trash can, because the evil cleaners emptied the trash-can, and the yummy smell lingered. In a few days I picked Hyman's Super-Methabolism book, started eating fat & cut out processed grains. Then came Paleo. Now I am progressing to Primal. The whole journey is about increasing fat.

Uhm, what i am saying is that it is super-easy to make a mistake when answering the metabolic types questionnaires because I probably confused what I love and what I was addicted to, with what I need to eat to keep my appetite stable. In fact, I think I will be most successful eating the opposite to what I would pick to be on my plate in the theoretical unlimited buffet of options.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Interesting. Glad to read this. I just heard this week about eating for your metabolic type. Might be snake-oil like hype, but it suggests that some do better on high carb, low fat. That is actually type B. I am thinking I might be a type B, or a Type C - that is if there is anything to this. All I know is that when I was dieting SAD way, my carbs were higher, my fats were low and I was losing 10lbs a month. I switched to primal, and have slowed to 4lbs a month. So I am thinking my balance is primal foods, but shift the macros. But FIRST, I am going to try the type C, which is about a 3rd split, because I am already low carbing, so I don't want to swing that far yet.
    Is this metabolic typing? It sounds familiar, and I think I'm supposedly a 'mixed-type', which is probably accurate for me. The even thirds split is what I hope to end up doing, since I really think having some more saturated fat in my diet is ultimately a good thing. Right now, the thought of eating really fatty stuff turns my stomach, but I'm hoping that taking a break from it will help me get past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    In a few days I picked Hyman's Super-Methabolism book, started eating fat & cut out processed grains. Then came Paleo. Now I am progressing to Primal. The whole journey is about increasing fat.

Uhm, what i am saying is that it is super-easy to make a mistake when answering the metabolic types questionnaires because I probably confused what I love and what I was addicted to, with what I need to eat to keep my appetite stable.
    I hear ya. That is why I thought coming from a point of Primal, it might work better. The Carbs would be limited to the good carbs that are more filling, more of the good carbs that I have been hesitant to have, like sweet tators. I was hungrier on higher carbs, I forget that part sometimes, but I still had stuff in there that I shouldnt have.

I have been shooting for 3rds this week. That has been bringing my net carbs still under 100g. 38 - 83. (the 38 was a low cal. day, so fat was more like 60%) We'll see where it takes me.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-21-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Is this metabolic typing? It sounds familiar, and I think I'm supposedly a 'mixed-type', which is probably accurate for me. The even thirds split is what I hope to end up doing, since I really think having some more saturated fat in my diet is ultimately a good thing. Right now, the thought of eating really fatty stuff turns my stomach, but I'm hoping that taking a break from it will help me get past that.
    It was a concept popular a few years back when you answered a lot of questions about your nutrition, how you feel, your general health etc, and determined your ideal macronutrient ratio & what diet would work the best for you macros wise (i.e. Zone, Atkins, South Beach...). It was based on how fast you burn sugars iirc. The terms were 'slow-burner'... I ran accross it in Michael's "Making the Cut" book.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Is this metabolic typing? It sounds familiar, and I think I'm supposedly a 'mixed-type', which is probably accurate for me.
    Yes first I had heard of it. It was just a co-inky dink, as I was trying the higher fat thing, and I gained 4lbs. So this week, I tried something different, and I got it back off - and granted it could have been a number of reasons - but anyways, I tried to change some things and then yesterday or the day before, I heard about this. Here are the notes I saved:

Type B:
    Ifyou’re a Type B, you have a strong penchant for sweets – candy,ice cream, cookies, cake, you name it. Your body is actually cryingout for healthy carbs, but you’re craving sugar instead.

• 70% carbs
    • 20% protein
    • 10% fats

Type A:
      Ifyou’re a Type A, you love salty food, such as potato chips, and arealso prone to anxiety.

Ifyou’re type A, you burn proteins and fats much more efficientlythan you burn carbs. The salty, fatty food cravings you experiencestem from your body’s need for protein. At mealtime, yourplate should be comprised mainly of protein and breakdown asfollowing:

• 50% protein
      • 30% fats
      • 20% carbohydrates

Type C:
        Ifyou are unable to determine whether you’re are a type A or B andlike both sweet and salty foods equally, you’re probably a Type C.Type C’s are mixed types who have fluctuating appetites.

TypeC’s have the ability to metabolize proteins, fats and carbsequally, which is why you crave both salty and sweet foods. Yourmealtime plate should be divided into thirds:

• 33% protein
        • 33% fats
        • 33% carbs

Sorry, I dont know how to undo the indention. Anyways, sort of seems like if you crave sweet carbs, you should reign in the carbs, but also I can see giving your body carbs, just good carbs, then maybe it wont crave carbs. I dont know. I also like the idea of Type B, because I do love protein. Meat meat and more meat. But I never really noticed that I craved salt. And maybe that is because I always have enough meat.

So I thought I would start with the type C since I already have a good grip on my carbs and my hunger, combine it with my primal ways and primal principals. Just add back in things like apples, bananas and sweet tators, which I know are not bad, I just really tried to watch the carbs which left no room for those.

I also do well IFing. 16/19 - 24 is easy enough, so I may find that I need to do something more along the lines of Eat Stop Eat, with aiming for 3rd split for macros on my eating days.

Geesh I just wish I could figure myself out. But at least I have the tools and information with which to experiment.

OH, and OP, sorry to derail your thread

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I think my biggest success being Primal is to stop over thinking everything. I may not be as fit or thin as I would like, or as I used to be, but I feel better mentally about a lot of things.

I eat meat, and veggies and fruit. I try to eat more produce. Dairy happens. Occasionally gluten-free foods made from rice. I generally try to avoid wheat and soy, but slips happen. Life happens.

I eat when I'm hungry, and usually don't eat when I'm not. Meals happen when and where they fall, or sometimes not at all.

This is how I do Primal.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Hey no problem! I think there is some merit in metabolic typing (though, not perfect by any means) as evidenced by the varied primal diets we're eating...and that circles us back to the thread topic...

But feel free to keep discussing. Might help some in their n=1 versions of Primal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I think my biggest success being Primal is to stop over thinking everything. I may not be as fit or thin as I would like, or as I used to be, but I feel better mentally about a lot of things.

I eat meat, and veggies and fruit. I try to eat more produce. Dairy happens. Occasionally gluten-free foods made from rice. I generally try to avoid wheat and soy, but slips happen. Life happens.

I eat when I'm hungry, and usually don't eat when I'm not. Meals happen when and where they fall, or sometimes not at all.

This is how I do Primal.
    This is where I was this week. When I started researching and trying to understand EVERYTHING back in Mid-March, weight loss slowed down to 4lbs. I know it slows as you get closer to your goal, but I am not close. So I stepped back this week, and just ate w/o over thinking it, and I sort of fell into those macros. But then there was also a day of high fat with still some weight loss the next day.

I think that I for one, over think it, everything actually, but especially this. I was doing much better with just dumb luck. Cutting breads, pastas, sugars, sweets... and BAM! I was losing decent amounts of weight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast