Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - Primal foods are messing with my stomach page

dMilo is offline Junior Member

Help - Primal foods are messing with my stomach

Hey everyone, I am new to the primal lifestyle and after reading a lot about it, I decided to take the plunge 5 days ago. But I'm running into some problems. Basically, I am getting stomach pain in my upper and lower abdominal during and after eating lunch and dinner. I basically eat the same thing. For lunch it's 5oz of chicken with mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, green beans, cauliflower) soaked in olive oil, and for dinner it's the same thing but with 5oz of fish. Could all the vegetables and/or olive oil be messing with my stomach?? I feel like it is, yet I don't know what to do since primal eating is all about eating a ton of vegetables a day! Should I just push through the pain for a week or two until my body/stomach gets used to this kind of diet?

It's also important for me to note that I do not have access to a variety of foods. I'm an American expat living in the Middle East and my food options are very limited. For example, I haven't had a salad in 4 weeks because my local super market has been out of lettuce! Also, I am 25 years old, 5'6 tall, 180lbs and probably around 25% bodyfat if that helps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, on a side not I'm wondering how much protein is too much protein. I've read that excess protein will be converted into glucose and thus into fat. Below is a breakdown of my nutrition....is 200g of protein too much???

Screen shot 2012-09-21 at 10.17.18 AM.jpg

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Is it really olive oil? Are the veggies REALLY well-done?

Many people can eat a lot of vegetables jut fine - I'm not one of them. I opt instead for organ meat, eggs, bone broth, some fruits, oysters, and leafy greens which sometimes digest and sometimes don't.

Yeah, that's a lot of meat. But I don't think it's too much. I eat a ton of meat and my health is great.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    150 grams of protein is the upper end of the healthy range typically.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dMilo View Post
    Also, on a side not I'm wondering how much protein is too much protein. I've read that excess protein will be converted into glucose and thus into fat. Below is a breakdown of my nutrition....is 200g of protein too much???

Screen shot 2012-09-21 at 10.17.18 AM.jpg
    Eat more SATURATED FATS & less raw veggies, but do eat naturally pickled foods EVERY DAY, like the preserved lemons, olives & other veggies like radishes etc. Eat/drink fermented whole fat milk products sourced from someone w/ a cow or from a store that has more natural, less processed foodstuffs. CHEW YOUR FOOD MORE SLOWLY & VARY YOUR DIET TOO! Skip lettuces for salads, use other greens like cabbages or parsley salads (tabouleh minus the cracked wheat). You need more fat from butter, olive oil, fatty meats & less veggies initially until your intestinal flora & gut health increases.

High fat, mod veg, mod protein(if you work out & want to build muscles , eat more diverse proteins), minor fruits, mod to minor spices depending on your preferences and tolerances. Spices like garlic & other digestives are excellent & low carb to boot!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Could the broccoli and cauliflower be giving you gas? Are you eating them raw or cooked? Also, primal/paleo is not all about vegetables.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Raw vegetables can cause problems, fermented vegetables can cause problems, most certainly garlic can cause problems. It's just a fact of life and some in the paleo community (Chris Kresser? check his website) are fully aware of it.
    Most certainly, the Weston Price people are aware of it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. Damiana - I buy the carrots and green beans frozen and then boil them in a pot with the broccoli and cauliflower.

So it sounds like maybe my stomach doesn't handle vegetables well and I should cut back. BUT then what do I eat to replace the calories I'm losing from cutting the vegetables? More fat? I'm already at 200g of protein a day, would adding even more meat be bad?

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Raw vegetables can cause problems, fermented vegetables can cause problems, most certainly garlic can cause problems. It's just a fact of life and some in the paleo community (Chris Kresser? check his website) are fully aware of it. Most certainly, the Weston Price people are aware of it.
    Fermented veggies causing problems? I've heard of & known people w/ health issues like but not limited to yeast/candida overgrowth, not tolerating certain fermented foods/ But other than those type people, never have I heard or read anything like what you assert.

Please post links to WAPF & Chris Kresser's website to back up your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by dMilo View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. Damiana - I buy the carrots and green beans frozen and then boil them in a pot with the broccoli and cauliflower.

So it sounds like maybe my stomach doesn't handle vegetables well and I should cut back. BUT then what do I eat to replace the calories I'm losing from cutting the vegetables? More fat? I'm already at 200g of protein a day, would adding even more meat be bad?
    What I do, is 50-60% of my caloric intake, eye balling mind you, is fat. protein varies between 10-30% eyeballed or depending on how I feel (more meat please). Depending on how much you weigh, 200g/day on average sounds like plenty of protein. You need enzymes, probiotics & fermented veggies more than the average person on MDA coz you're eating frozen veggies daily as your sole source. And if you tolerate or like dairy, either fermented veggies or dairty or both are good for you & your digestion. You can buy/consume fermented foods while waiting for your own home ferments to mature.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-21-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me it took some time and adjustments. At the beginning food with lots of olive oil gave me stomach aches after eating. I switched to butter and coconut oil (which may not be available where you are), which was better, especially the butter. But things change. Last night's dinner involved meat and vegetables drenched in olive oil and basil pesto. The bottom of the bowl was a pool of oil which I spooned up and ate with no problem.

I feel best when 50 to 60% of my calories are coming from fat. Fat is really my focus now that I think about it.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast