Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one should be avoided more: Skim Milk or Brown Rice? page

amazingjay is offline Junior Member

Which one should be avoided more: Skim Milk or Brown Rice?

Primal Fuel
    I'm planning to increase my calorie/carb intake on the days when I workout. The 2 cheap sources of carbs for me are Skim Milk and Brown Rice. Skim Milk is cheap for me because I get it from work. Brown Rice, well rice is always cheap when bought in bulk (compared to sweet potato).

From what I understand, both are not really staple primal food items. In any case, which should be avoided more and why?
    Expecto Patronum!!!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Brown rice -- unless it's sprouted or, at LEAST, soaked, it's not really food. If you don't want to sprout it yourself, just buy white rice. Skim milk is worthless, but it's the lesser of two evils in this case.

Go with white rice.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Try white rice instead... cheaper and cleaner source of carbs than brown rice.
    Better than nasty factory skim milk any day.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    BUT the cholesterol in skim milk is heavily oxidized. I would choose the brown rice (white rice is better) for something like a twice a week carb-up. Just eat it by itself if you're worried about mineral binding. But what's wrong with sweet potatoes or carrots, etc.?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

amazingjay is offline Junior Member
    @Everyone
    ...Isn't brown rice superior to white rice? I mean, it's complex carbs and has higher glycemic index, right?

@Knifegill,
    They're just too expensive. Here in San Rafael, a pound of sweet potato is 2 bucks. Carrots are li'l cheaper, but it's still not as cheap as rice.
    Last edited by amazingjay; 09-21-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    Expecto Patronum!!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    white rice is much better from a primal standpoint. the bran, where the anti-nutrients are, has been removed. also, it's not dyed brown and slapped with a "healthy" sticker. i tend to find that good rice, is way more expensive than sweet potatoes, but maybe that's just me. i prefer basmati over uncle ben's.

sweet potatoes are usually the go-to for a lot of people here looking for carbs, but only because they are tastier and more nutrient dense. if you're just looking for straight carbs, white potatoes are cheaper and just as starchy (just discard the skins).

also, consider fall squashes and fruit for carb sources. you can also get those in-season sales to save some money.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    White rice is much better. I would stay far away from skim milk.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    white rice or white potatoes, whichever cheaper and fills you up better. White rice makes me ravenous. White potato does not. You can add skim milk to white potato or white rice to get a boost of protein and flavor.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Go with white rice.
    +1
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    white rice is much better from a primal standpoint. the bran, where the anti-nutrients are, has been removed. also, it's not dyed brown and slapped with a "healthy" sticker. i tend to find that good rice, is way more expensive than sweet potatoes, but maybe that's just me. i prefer basmati over uncle ben's.

sweet potatoes are usually the go-to for a lot of people here looking for carbs, but only because they are tastier and more nutrient dense. if you're just looking for straight carbs, white potatoes are cheaper and just as starchy (just discard the skins).

also, consider fall squashes and fruit for carb sources. you can also get those in-season sales to save some money.
    All of this.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast