Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting primal observation page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Interesting primal observation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This last weekend I was at a family reunion of over 60 adults in NW Washington state. The group included an RN, a dentist and an MD who sits on an advisory/steerage committee for the local hospital. I would say that all 60 of these people are educated. None of them knew what the paleo or ancestral diet was. None of them had heard it. When I tried to explain it, they kept bringing up the Atkins diet. I went to their local farmers market and there was a vender there with grass fed beef and pastured pork. He didn't have a clue what the primal/paleo thing was!

There were two vegetarians in the family group and needless to say, the farmers market seemed to be loaded with them also.

I was amazed. There is a long long ways to go with turning the health of the nation.
    Last edited by Moochy; 09-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I heard of Paleo quite some time ago, Primal Blueprint only recently though. I am disgusted that people in the medical profession haven't heard of paleo! Not surprised, but definitely disappointed!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Actually, even locally if I bring up paleo/primal/ancestral very few people have heard of it much less know what it is. Have seen seven different doctors myself the last 5 years and none of that group had a clue. It goes to say the person on the street I chat up has no idea also.
    Fat will kill you doncha know?
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    My stepmother is a doctor (pathologist) and I get the impression that she doesn't approve of my primal diet (coincidentally her diet is mostly grain-based).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I know what you mean, I've been eating this way for a little over 2 yrs and haven't run into any one that knows what paleo/ primal is. Here's an example: I'm staying with my son in the hospital and the nurse asks how the food is (DS ordered a chicken breast) and I say it's all right if you fix it up with a little butter, cream and lemon, you know fat will fix anything and the nurse says oh how I wish I could eat fat. I'm thinking sure you can, but I didn't say anything.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    paleo is popular here now. everywhere you go, you trip over a paleo person.

WIChuck is offline Member
    Maybe it's more of a midwest thing, but at the same time I started going Primal, two other people I know started similar plans independently. One of them, the husband of a co-worker has lost 60 lbs.

...and I've talked with a few local farmers who have found the market for grass fed and finished meats are really growing. One guy has been able to expand his operation from a few cattle and bison to heritage breed cattle and pigs.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I'd ever heard anyone utter the word "paleo" in person, until I was in CrossFit the other day and the instructor said that they generally follow a paleo diet. I was very excited lol. I guess I just generally hang around with the wrong folks . I'm sure there are some paleo/primal people around... I just don't generally meet them day to day!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My landlord still calls it the caveman diet, but he respects it. This is because he has a friend diagnosed with MS who has not only gotten down to her high school weight, but hasn't had an MS episode in over three years since giving up grains and processed foods.

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member
    I have met only three people who are doing the paleo/primal thing. I have seen one guy (I didn't stop to chat with him) wearing a Grok t-shirt in public. Surprised the heck outta me.

Moochy I live in NW Washington where was this family reunion at?
    All time high weight 262 lbs
    Primal since Spring 2012
    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast