Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half a hog page

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member

Half a hog

Primal Fuel
    So, I'm probably going to buy half a hog soon. 80-ish pounds of Berkshire hog heaven. I can choose how I want it cut up. I definitely want as many chops as I can get out of it and the ribs of course. I'll probably just get the belly rather than have them cure it into bacon, roasts, bones and offal. Are there any good charts or info about what you can have (half) a hog cut into? And any good recipes for pig heart and kidney? My boyfriend's not a liver fan so I'll probably just chop it up and mix it into some ground pork. Not sure if I can get him to eat the heart or kidneys either, but I may try.

paul119 is offline Senior Member

Oh cool, I didn't even think of loooking to see if someone had an order form. I'd forgotten that I want the fat (lard) as well. Thanks!

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    lucky!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Awesome! I ordered a half a cow a couple months ago and I have to make more room in the freezer before I can get any pastured pork or poultry.

If it was my pig, I would certainly get a Boston butt/shoulder roast. That is my favorite cut on the pig I think. They are all delicious, it's so hard to choose. I would also get the skin on it so I could do this:
    The Food Lab: Ultra Crisp-Skinned Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder | Serious Eats

Ask for the trotters and ears too! Maybe even the maw (stomach) if you're feeling extra adventurous! Chichi Wang has some cool recipes for those on her "nasty Bits" column on Serious Eats. I especially want to try the pressed pig ears:

Pressed Pigs' Ears | Serious Eats : Recipes
    The Nasty Bits: Pig Ears Larb | Serious Eats
    The Nasty Bits: Trotters Tom Yum | Serious Eats
    Last edited by yodiewan; 09-21-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Added Roast Recipe

Paleobird Guest
    So, you're not going whole hog?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've found a place near me that does beef, lamb, and goat, all grass fed/finished and halal butchered. I just bought a new freezer so I can fit everything in.

Oh believe me, I'd go 'whole hog' if I had a big enough freezer. This farmer does beef, chicken and goat as well, not sure about the lamb, but I don't know how often they butcher the goat. I've only seen goat offal on their website so far. Their pork though, OMG it is the most amazing I've ever had. I buy raw goat milk and eggs from them too.

Ask for the trotters and ears too! Maybe even the maw (stomach) if you're feeling extra adventurous! Chichi Wang has some cool recipes for those on her "nasty Bits" column on Serious Eats. I especially want to try the pressed pig ears:
    A friend of mine posted a picture of a Chinese pig's ear recipe, I'd forgotten about until after I posted this. I'll definitely be asking for other bits and butts. I love Cuban roast pork and make a really good caldo gallega so soup meats and trotters will go to good use. I've only ever tried brain once, and didn't much care for it, but it could have been something to do with the preparation. Maybe have to look for a good recipe. Also, do people eat the sweetbreads from pig? I love sweet breads.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you can have the whole head, too. Or half a head. Head cheese is pretty tasty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Maybe you can have the whole head, too. Or half a head. Head cheese is pretty tasty.
    Whoa .. I'm not sure I could deal with a pig head. Organs, no problem. But when I think of a pigs head, I think of Lord of the Flies..

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Wow this thread has gotten me thinking..... Hubby bought 2 piglet's (some one is helping us raise them) but I will have to figure out what to do with all the "nasty bits". Hubby is oddly squeamish about eating certain parts of animals. Thanks for the Serious Eats link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast