Thread: Hearts page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

Hearts

Primal Fuel
    I usually give my dog several lamb's or ox hearts a week as he is on the prey diet. the other day i chucked one thru the mincer and added it to the mince i made a shepherd's pie with. no one noticed. i did notice that it is quite fatty and it is also high in minerals so... i was wondering. does anyone have any good recipes? my current plan is to make liver and heart pate which i will be doing later today. i am also going to mince some and freeze them in small portions so as i can easily mix them in with mince when i am cooking.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The last hearts we got we cubed with the kidneys and turned into steak and kidney pie.

We also minced the heart and the kidney and used it as the basis of meat muffins (along with spices, onions etc) which we then froze and reheated as breakfasts.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've only made beef jerky from hearts. When you cut all the external fat off, it's really super lean and makes good beef jerky.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Pre-primal, my favorite was pronghorn antelope heart sliced thin, dredged in flour and cooked in butter...so good. I am going to have to figure out how.to make that primal. guts are good!
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

i dont have a dehydrator so i can't make jerky. i guess i could try in the oven. the dog will always eat it if it goes wrong. could you either ditch the flour or use coconut flour? i am going to cook the liver and the hearts in butter for the pate with garlic and thyme so i am definitely going to taste some before i blend them all up. still deciding liver to heart ratio.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I've only ever made jerky in the oven.

We lay the marinaded strips (don't use flour) out on a tower of biscuit drying racks, put the oven on the lowest possible setting, stick a spoon in the door (to keep it open a crack) then go to bed.

In the morning, instant jerky.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    If you have a slow cooker you can make an awesome stew out of heart. Cook the heart first with some red wine, garlic, and onions and any spices you like. Then take it out and cut it into cubes then toss back into the yummy broth that has formed along with whatever veggies you have on hand and let it cook a little longer until the veggies are done.

MaritzSmit is offline Junior Member
    The last hearts we got we cubed with the kidneys and turned into steak and kidney pie.

PrimalCon New York
    i never have come across mixing hearts with kidneys but it has occured to me to do heart, liver and kidney something before. and, as it so happens, i just got a slow cooker yesterday so i will give it a go next time i go shopping. i made the pate with one liver and one heart and it is super yummy. the dog got the rest of the raw hearts but he actual acted like a labrador the whole time i was making the pate which is very unusual as he is not a greedy dog at all. his breed just eat till they are full and stop.