Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Liver Palatable! SOAK! page

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member

Make Liver Palatable! SOAK!

Shop Now
    If anyone mentioned this then I apologize for re-posting. For those, like me, who have a strong dislike for the taste of calf/beef liver, try soaking the liver in lemon juice.

Just bought this book: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats: Sally Fallon,Mary Enig: 9780967089737: Amazon.com: Books

In the book she explains a way to reduce the strong "liverly" flavor of beef liver. I decided to brave it and give it a whirl. I soaked my calf liver (100% grass fed, fresh) in lemon juice (completely covered, about 1/2-1 whole lemon) for 5-6 hours in the refrigerator, covered.. You can go anywhere from 2-12 for less/more purity.

I couldn't believe how much more palatable the liver was! It was so easy to eat, and almost enjoyable! I even ate part of it raw, which didn't taste as bad, either. Usually I'm gagging and choking my way through a liver, but not this time! I scarfed that baby down. I didn't even put much on it, in terms of spices/oils. I just fried a bit of garlic, shallots and topped it with EVOO and salt. Couldn't imagine how good it would taste in a pate.

Anyways, I guess the lemon juice sort of draws or siphons out the impurities, improving the taste of the liver. So, for those who want to add any kind of liver to their diet and somewhat enjoy the taste, try soaking it in lemon juice and see if it helps!

Let me know what you all think.

-Ryan

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I'll try this. I actually ate liver for the first time in forever (like, since maybe childhood) today. I pan fried some, added in some ground beef, and threw it all into a big pot with a ton of other stuff to make some stew. It's simmering now. I tried some of the liver while I was cooking it, and it wasn't bad. Tasted like a really rich steak...or...I dunno. I'd eat it straight with some veggies. I'll try out the lemon juice thing though.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I tried making chicken liver pate once, but it was just okay. The liverwurst I found at the local Whole Foods was pretty good though, until I got sick of it. Maybe I should try some again...

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i never soak chicken livers and i usually cant be bothered to soak lamb's fry. if i do, i soak it in milk. i have some in the fridge atm which i covered with milk and soaked overnight which i am going to make pate with.

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    I have heard of soaking it in milk, but I forget why you're supposed to do that. Something to do with taste or texture??

Jfreaksho,

I can almost eat chicken livers without doing anything, but even they get tough for me. I do enjoy them in a pate (recipe Mark posted earlier), but even then they're a bit tough to get down. However, the beef liver was SO much easier to get down than even a chicken liver! I bet I could easily eat em if they were soaked in lemon juice. Might just try em soon, after I finish my calf livers.

Mr. Anthony,

That's exactly what I did. Pan fry it with veggies. The lemon juice will make it so much easier to eat like this, too.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i am not sure why. my aunt used to do it which is why i do but from memory, and i was a very small child then, she said it was for texture. with chicken livers i find if i cook them till they are still pink in the middle and then leave them to sit for a while in the pan, they are way nicer than usual. not sure if that will help you with eating them tho as i already like them.

Thanks for this. I have a liver in the freezer and someone just gave me lemons. Want to try to make some pate, also. I enjoy the liverwurst from US Wellness Meats, but haven't learned to appreciate liver just yet.

MaritzSmit is offline Junior Member
    The liverwurst I found at the local Whole Foods was pretty good though

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I love liver taste as is, and often have a few slices raw while cooking it, just because it is fun, but I might try it next time I cook it to see if it helps my 6 yo.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Liver I tend to soak a bit in red wine and garlic. Kidneys, in milk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast