Thread: Chicken necks... page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Chicken necks...

Shop Now
    The farmer I get my grass-feed beef and pastured chicken from had a sale yesterday on chicken necks and backs, so I got a couple of packages each with the intention of using them to make bone broth.

I just tossed 3 pounds of semi-frozen chicken necks into my crock pot. Is it work my while to clean the bones when what little meat there they do have is cooked and leave the bones on for another 12 hours or so? I've made bone broth a couple of times now, but I started with bones - and before they were just bones they had far more meat on them than the necks and backs do

momrn is offline Member
    Not sure if you are asking about the backs, but in our family it has a delicious nugget on it we fight over. We call it the oyster. It is the best part of the chicken.

I always buy backs from my farmer as they as loads of meat on them.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by momrn View Post
    Not sure if you are asking about the backs, but in our family it has a delicious nugget on it we fight over. We call it the oyster. It is the best part of the chicken.

I always buy backs from my farmer as they as loads of meat on them.

HTH
    I did get some backs, but tonight I tossed a package of necks in the crockpot. That is good to know about the backs though

momrn is offline Member
    The meat on the necks is sort of stringy. It's dark meat, so very tasty, but a weird texture. I wouldn't fool with it beyond grazing a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by momrn View Post
    The meat on the necks is sort of stringy. It's dark meat, so very tasty, but a weird texture. I wouldn't fool with it beyond grazing a little bit.
    This is good to know - so I will just let the necks cook for 24 hours and consider it stock rather than bone broth. I use both the same way anyway so it doesn't much matter. Since it isn't just bones I will forgo the apple cider vinegar this time.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, there's a bunch of meat on there you can salvage! It might take a while to pick it out of the bones, but it's there if you want to use your money's worth.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

I did try some of the meat, and it isn't bad! I picked some of it tonight and put it back into the broth (which was very thick gelatin for the first time), added spices, mushrooms, turnip and mustard greens and let it simmer for a bit. Lovely! For something like this the texture is fine and all of that protein doesn't get wasted.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    i dont' eat 'em, but my husband does. he also eats the chicken feet. Too much work for me.