Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimenting with longer fasts... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Experimenting with longer fasts...

Primal Fuel
    I usually do a daily fast of 20 - 24 hours (and eating once a day), but this is now pretty easy for me. As of late, I've been adding in longer fasts, 48 or more and feeling great. Better than EVER I would say!

For me, when I embark on a longer fast, I tend to eat a bit more in the meal before the fast than I would if I were eating daily. Then, I do seem to convert a little bit of that into fat (yeah, this effects me the first day of the fast). By the start of day two though, I'm usually well into ketosis and that extra fat I put on from that meal is coming right off. I then continue my fast until my energy llevels start to wan a bit.

What I am finding though, is... I have MORE energy on the fasts than I do when I eat daily. I'm almost PREFERING this style of eating now. I'm starting to realize that this is almost no longer a "challenge" for me. I'm leaning out, but so far, not losing (or at least not noticabley so) muscle mass, my workouts don't seem to have suffered, my energy levels are UP, my libido has actually increased...

All I can say is... I must be doing SOMETHING right.

So, my question to you folks is this... What do you think of this? Could you do it? WOULD you do it? Do you think that it's healthy because I feel great, or would you still worry about anything as a result of my new habits?

I'll assuage your fears by saying that the fasting hasn't made me want to resort to unhealthy "cheat" meals because of any sort of ravenous hunger or lack of motivation to cook a healthy meal. Whever I break my fast I still do so in a healthy, high fat stick to the ribs meal of meat and veggies. Dr. Mark would be proud!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    These days, I stick to the leangains approach daily and I haven't done a longer fast in ages. I know that I can still go for forty to forty eight hours anytime I need to though. Other than needing protein, I don't think there is anything wrong with fasts that length. That said, I'd never go longer than forty eight hours intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    These days, I stick to the leangains approach daily and I haven't done a longer fast in ages. I know that I can still go for forty to forty eight hours anytime I need to though. Other than needing protein, I don't think there is anything wrong with fasts that length. That said, I'd never go longer than forty eight hours intentionally.
    I just go until I'm hungry which, if I eat the slightly larger meal, seems to be 48 - 50 hours. So I'm about where you are. I've gone longer a handful of times, so I know I can do it, but as Mark says, "when!"

Paleobird Guest
    Have a look at this thread. A bunch of us did a four day one recently and there is a lot of good info referenced in there.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65233.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Have a look at this thread. A bunch of us did a four day one recently and there is a lot of good info referenced in there.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65233.html
    I think you misunderstand. I'm not talking about a four day fast once in a while. I'm talking about 48 hour fasts almost twice a week. In the long run, a four day fast just to see "if you can do it," is one thing, especially if you don't plan on doing it regularly. I've basically started doing my fasts on a regular basis now.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same place as you regarding daily fasts.

Assuming I'm not interested in weight loss, what are the benefits of the 40-48 hour fast over the 20 hr fast?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I'm in the same place as you regarding daily fasts.

Assuming I'm not interested in weight loss, what are the benefits of the 40-48 hour fast over the 20 hr fast?
    You definitely get a more even energy level, and you don;t always have to be thinking about your next meal so you can spend that time doing other things. I'm more productive like I've never been!

And I'm not really losing weight in terms of dropping pounds either. I'm "leaning out" is the best way to put it. Losing body fat more than weight.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I think you misunderstand. I'm not talking about a four day fast once in a while. I'm talking about 48 hour fasts almost twice a week. In the long run, a four day fast just to see "if you can do it," is one thing, especially if you don't plan on doing it regularly. I've basically started doing my fasts on a regular basis now.
    That thread started off being about that one "see if you can" four day event but from there it evolved into a very interesting discussion of all different lengths and frequencies of fasting with some really good resource material brought in if you are interested. The consensus reached seems to have been the very one you are talking about. 48 hours about once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That thread started off being about that one "see if you can" four day event but from there it evolved into a very interesting discussion of all different lengths and frequencies of fasting with some really good resource material brought in if you are interested. The consensus reached seems to have been the very one you are talking about. 48 hours once a week.
    But I'm doing it almost TWICE a week now, not just once. So, consensus in that thread would be that twice is too much?

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    But I'm doing it almost TWICE a week now, not just once. So, consensus in that thread would be that twice is too much?
    You don't need to rolleyes at me. If you will note I went back and edited what I said to be "about once a week". Some people were saying once some two, but, hey , read the thread or not. There's some good info there if you don't already think you know everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast