Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Fearful newbie with ?'s Before I start...again page 2

  1. #11
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,740
    If you have an eating disorder you ought to see a professional or attend group counseling or maybe see a naturopathic doctor who understands women and women's hormones. You will hem and haw about this and really nobody is interested in your reasons why you can't, but it's your only option, really. Eating natural food is not that complicated and with a name like "Dream"Health and being fearful to start a way of life that is natural and healthy means you probably Dream more than you Do and your problems are much bigger than food. Sorry to be so blunt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

  2. #12
    DreamHealth's Avatar
    DreamHealth is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    listen... you don't need to count calories, though you certainly can. it may not be healthy at all in your case. you certainly don't need to count protein! or carbs, either. this sounds like a case of low carb gone off the rails... too much protein converting to glucose? come on now. your body will make the glucose it needs if you don't eat it (why not just eat it? nevermind, separate question), but you're perfectly able to dispose of excess protein without your body converting it to glucose. gluconeogenesis doesn't just happen automatically, in proportion to your protein intake. no.

    another thing. i feel for you - you need to see a psychologist for help with the eating disorder. trying out new diets will not tackle the issue. low carb becomes it's own mythos, and can feed the beast. actually, any structured diet can. therapy will be key in your situation.
    Thank you for everything Yeah, I've mostly conquered the beast, 15 years of "help". After all the psycho stuff, medication etc...I have become convinced that sugar to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic. I've experienced freedom from food obsession: Only when I've managed complete abstinence from sugar-the first 5-7 days being sheer hell. And if I didn't get that "oh I'm free now I can handle just a little bit" feeling, or try to fit in at social situations, I'd stay sugar-free. I think that is where I need to just make the commitment, work my 12 steps and really stay connected to this forum for help/ideas and support. BTW-The medical literature and med opinions seem all over the place when it comes to sugar addiction, I realize that, but I can only describe my experience.

    I'm otherwise pretty healthy and fit, and able to inspire many people around me to get healthier. No one would know that I struggle.

    I'm amazed that people take the time to respond to and support others on this forum. Thank you so much WIsh there was a way to "friend" people here

  3. #13
    DreamHealth's Avatar
    DreamHealth is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you have an eating disorder you ought to see a professional or attend group counseling or maybe see a naturopathic doctor who understands women and women's hormones. You will hem and haw about this and really nobody is interested in your reasons why you can't, but it's your only option, really. Eating natural food is not that complicated and with a name like "Dream"Health and being fearful to start a way of life that is natural and healthy means you probably Dream more than you Do and your problems are much bigger than food. Sorry to be so blunt.

    SBhikes, I find that oftentimes blunt means rude, (at least a little rude) and I wish those that are "blunt" wouldn't try to sugarcoat it. Your line of "you will hem and haw and really nobody is interested in your reasons why you can't" is unnecessary and quite (wrongly, I might add) presumptuous. Keep in mind that you do not know my history, my progress, my current knowledge etc. With one post, one should not write a novel-so I did not include my entire medical history, insights, and pathway. I've made tremendous progress in my eating disorder-mostly in the last year. It is a journey though, and I created this post precisely because I am aware of the fact that eating this way has the potential to become an obsession with me. My rockbottom is that I am exhausted. And even when I manage to stay away from my bulimic behaviors, mainly through the psychological tools I've learned, I am whiteknuckling it-which I believe is physiological and one can only white-knuckle it for so long. This is opposed to running to food in the past to make me feel better because I was upset about something. Please read some of my other replies. I'm trying to get some insights from others on the implementation of this diet for success.

    Dream HEALTH did not come from me "dreaming" about "health". I chose it because I believe that true health begins in the mind by changing our thoughts and subconscious attitudes. It is what I want to do always-dream and think healthy.
    Last edited by DreamHealth; 09-21-2012 at 07:22 AM.

  4. #14
    Danielle5690's Avatar
    Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    521
    A tip from a fellow sugar addict: make sure you get plenty of saturated fat (you have to replace the sugar with something satisfying), and try a chromium picolinate supplement. The combination of those two and absolutely abstaining from anything that tasted sweet helped me finally beat the cravings. Thankfully I got to the point where whole fruit doesn't trigger them, so I didn't have to eliminate it for good.

    I still backslide occasionally if I go to too many birthday parties (cake! ice cream!), but the cravings aren't nearly as all-consuming as they used to be. Just a little nagging voice in the back of my head.

  5. #15
    DreamHealth's Avatar
    DreamHealth is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    A tip from a fellow sugar addict: make sure you get plenty of saturated fat (you have to replace the sugar with something satisfying), and try a chromium picolinate supplement. The combination of those two and absolutely abstaining from anything that tasted sweet helped me finally beat the cravings. Thankfully I got to the point where whole fruit doesn't trigger them, so I didn't have to eliminate it for good.

    I still backslide occasionally if I go to too many birthday parties (cake! ice cream!), but the cravings aren't nearly as all-consuming as they used to be. Just a little nagging voice in the back of my head.
    Haha..It is really nice when you only hear a nagging voice. Right now I'm at the stage still where I have a temper tantrum throwing, screaming and kicking little *$&*# that can make it really hard to focus on or hear anything or anybody! Thanks for the tip. I've noticed when I've gone completely off that I do need to watch fruit, and even my stevia consumption. It's the sweet taste that seems to trigger.
    Choose Freedom!
    No one can defeat you as long as you don't first defeat yourself

  6. #16
    Danielle5690's Avatar
    Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamHealth View Post
    Haha..It is really nice when you only hear a nagging voice. Right now I'm at the stage still where I have a temper tantrum throwing, screaming and kicking little *$&*# that can make it really hard to focus on or hear anything or anybody! Thanks for the tip. I've noticed when I've gone completely off that I do need to watch fruit, and even my stevia consumption. It's the sweet taste that seems to trigger.
    The sweet taste is a powerful trigger. That's why avoiding it completely for at least a few months is so helpful. And it wakes up your tastebuds to other flavors. I think we become desensitized to the constant sugar overload. Unsweetened foods taste so much better to me now than they used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •