Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Cacao Chocolate recipe - expensive! page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Wink High Cacao Chocolate recipe - expensive!

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed many people eat chocolate with 90% cacao, which is cool, because everyone I know in person can't even handle 70%!

But its expensive!

Cheap sources or cost efficient recipes?!!!!!!!
    What is your favourite just chocolate recipe?????

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I just use a good quality but not insanely expensive cocoa powder in various things like chili, was using them in protein smoothies too till the artifical sweeteners started tasting like a$$ to me.

Cacao hype be damned. I won't pay!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    For cooking, I just use cocoa powder. I'm trying to wean off it though - I can go weeks without then go nuts when I buy a tub.
    Although I can chow down on a solid block of 100% cacao...mmm.....

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I used to buy the nibs, and go bezerk with 'em. Now I'd rather spend my money on beef.

I am thinking that when I'm good, and ready I'll try out some coconut milk cocoa herbal smoothies. I've got all kinds of powders, and extracts I can add to a concoction.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Go to the baking needs section of your local grocery store.... you can buy unsweetened baking chocolate there (in Ontario $4 for 200g which is pretty reasonable.) It's not organic or single-origin or whatever but it's 100% chocolate and it's very cost-effective to use for cooking and baking in primalizeable/primalish recipes.

And since you asked, here's one of my favourite primal desserts - chocolate raspberry mousse!

Chop up some super-dark chocolate (200g) and melt with about 6 tbsp heavy cream. Let cool to room temperature.
    Defrost frozen raspberries or use fresh ones. Puree them in a blender and then strain through a sieve.
    Whip a cup of heavy cream to stiff peaks. Using a whisk or a slotted spoon, fold about a third of it into the melted chocolate to "lighten it up." Then gradually fold in the chocolate into the rest of the whipped cream. Now swirl in the raspberry puree. Transfer into martini/wine glasses, ramekins or other serving dishes, cover with foil and leave in the fridge for a few hours. Garnish with fresh berries. Bon appetit!

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    That sounds amazing

Gutted, here in UK they dont have 100% baking chocolate on the shelves, let alone at a good price! the best I can do is buy the cocoa powder and mix it with some coconut oil etc and let it set...

Really? No unsweetened baking chocolate? The one I buy is made by Kraft - aren't their products available in the UK too?

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/produc...chocolate.aspx

Does Cadbury make extra-dark chocolate bars? Those aren't terribly expensive (mind you, I can't say theirs is the best quality either, very chalky but for baking I suppose it would suffice.)

lesliek is offline Member
    Lindt has a 90% bar for just a little over $2 (don't know if it's available or what it would cost in the UK, but they also offer it for a slightly higher price on their website). I only eat a couple squares a day, so each bar usually lasts me almost a week.

If you eat unsweetened/100% cacao chocolate but it's a little too bitter for you, eat some organic raisins (or other dried fruit) with it, and the chocolate tastes a little sweet.

HI Lesliek - a Lindt 90% bar is only $2 something in your neck of the woods? Wow! All the Lindt Excellence bars usually run for $3.50 Canadian and up.

lesliek is offline Member
    Yep, it's $2.29 at the Target stores in Minnesota (and they were on sale last week for $1.99/bar). Target is good at offering products for less than other stores...I guess I'm lucky to have one here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast