Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paleo Diet: Healthy Or A Hoax? page 4

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I love how someone always mentions that cavemen had a life expectancy of 30. I want to reply, "That's including infant mortality and death in childbirth, moron." Someone was clearly living a lot longer than 30!

Nobody puts bacon in the corner!

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I love how someone always mentions that cavemen had a life expectancy of 30. I want to reply, "That's including infant mortality and death in childbirth, moron." Someone was clearly living a lot longer than 30!
    I always point out that it wasn't until the 20th century that agriculturalists caught up to the life expectancy that they enjoyed before agriculture.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Totally. Or being eaten by some fierce wild beastie.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bamems is offline Junior Member
    Hi Warmbear,
    I couldn't have said it better myself: the mass producers of the processed garbage they call "food" will do anything to keep us stuck on their teat. It's a sick, sick industry for sure and it has certainly made millions of people sick. Then they send you over to big pharma and they get to profit off the sickness as well. A totally f#%!@d up industry.
    Good luck with your journey and congrats for making it this far with such success. I hope to someday post some successes of my own.
    Beth
    Rochester, NY

waterjen is offline Member
    I love how these factoids are pulled up repeatedly, out of context, without all the applicable qualifiers!

I usually like paleo diets

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I like paleo people, they taste good
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterjen View Post
    I love how these factoids are pulled up repeatedly, out of context, without all the applicable qualifiers!
    Yup, I hate it when people bring up life expectancy now and how much better it is than it was 100 years ago, or 10,000 years ago or whatever. I just want to scream at them "INFANT MORTALITY AND CHILDBIRTH YOU IDIOT!!" because that is THE biggest factor in the change in life expectancy. The fact that most people live to reach adulthood has made an ENORMOUS difference.

When I look at my own family, my grandfather was the only child to survive out of 4 kids (he was born 1899 I believe). My grandmother also lost a sister in childhood (she was born 1917). It was extremely common for kids to die in childhood and infancy even 100 years ago. Women dying in childbirth was also soooo much more common than it is today. It is ridiculous to suggest that our longevity these days is because we've suddenly become wise to the evils of saturated fats.

Modern medicine is good at keeping people alive who would have died from many illnesses, accident or whatever back in the past... but it's not at all good at keeping people HEALTHY!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Life expectancy of major artists has risen only slightly since the medieval period. It's a good yardstick as it's a profession where little has changed regarding lifestyle (apart from the confounder that artists have generally been much wealthier in later life during the modern era).

Life expectancy for major artists was around 75 during the medieval period rising to 85 for those born late eighteenth/nineteenth centuries. This is excluding those who died young from venereal disease, which was very common in both eras.

Appreciating beauty in the world and the act of creativity certainly appear to help people live longer. That's play and nature in the primal laws.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234