Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I so HUNGRY all the time?!!! page

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member

Why am I so HUNGRY all the time?!!!

Shop Now
    I'm hoping someone, anyone can help me shed some light on my constant feelings of real, tummy grumbling hunger. I'm 33, female, 5'4ish, 115lbs, no health issues or concerns, other than hunger. I Crossfit 2x/week, walk 2-3 hours, and throw in the occasional yoga class. I've been Primal since 11/11, and haven't had this issue until the last few weeks, since finishing a Whole30 last month.
    I'm pretty certain that I eat enough, my weight has not changed since I started Crossfit this May.

Typical menu for the day, which happens to be today's meal plan:

Coffee with coconut oil
    3 eggs cooked in ghee (had to choke some of it down, it's really difficult for me to eat more than 2 eggs at a time)
    6 slices bacon
    Avocado

BAS with EVOO and balsamic
    4 oz skirt steak
    Goat cheese

1.5 apples
    Cashews

If I cared to weigh and add up my calories, it's around 2000, mostly from fats. I ate breakfast around 9:45am, and I'm hungry AGAIN now, only 2.5 hours later. This is pretty typical for me right now. I'm trying to save $$$ and only have 2 meals a day, but this hunger just ain't gonna cut it.

Any insight would be appreciated very much!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you are not eating enough to fuel so much exercise.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Standard question I ask females if they are suddenly hungry or tired beyond norms: could you be pregnant?

Also, if you just came off a Whole30, did you fall into any same meal all the time habits, to make things easier? You might be missing out on something and your body is trying to get you to eat it. (And no, sadly Snickers are not an essential nutrient.)

Any new stress in your life?

That's all I've got.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever eliminated fruit and fresh dairy completely? Fruit are huge hunger triggers for me, I feel far less hungry without fruit and high fructose vegetables. Fresh dairy also rises hunger levels in some people. Try it for a few weeks and see if the hunger goes down. I would also replace cashews with macs or Brazils. Cashews are iirc sweeter.

Also, I find that drinking broth helps a lot.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I don't feel like I exercise very much, actually. I'd rather do more, but I'm afraid I'll get even hungrier!
    Pregnancy is highly unlikely, since I've had my period this month and am on BC.
    I did eliminate all dairy for 30 days, save ghee, and really liked the way I felt. I've been slowly adding it back in, bit by bit. Maybe that's an issue. Oh, goat cheese, why have you forsaken me?!!!
    I do need to cut the fruit. Would something like yams and squash be better for carbs? Low carb totally wipes me out. I'm considering trying <50g carbs a day again, maybe I'll tolerate it better.

Good ideas everyone, keep 'em coming!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I would also replace cashews with macs or Brazils. Cashews are iirc sweeter.

Also, I find that drinking broth helps a lot.
    Cashews are my guilty pleasure right now. But they're probably not the best choice, even soaked. Broth is a great idea. I prefer miso, would that be an acceptable substitute?

I need to add that my stress levels and sleep are adequate. 7-8.5 hours a night. Though sometimes, about once a week, I get shorted a few hours.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    I
    Coffee with coconut oil
    3 eggs cooked in ghee (had to choke some of it down, it's really difficult for me to eat more than 2 eggs at a time)
    6 slices bacon
    Avocado

... I'm hungry AGAIN now, only 2.5 hours later.
    Can you get some labs, Sophie?

I've no idea why you would be experiencing what you are. I can see that you might not be eating enough across the whole day, but is that relevant to what you experience just then at that time of day so soon after eating that? I think a meal such as you just described there should absolutely kill hunger for hours and would for most people.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Lewis... something else might be going on here. Not necessarily, but it does seem odd. I'm roughly the same height, age, weight, and activity level as you and a breakfast like that would keep me full for most of the day.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If you can't eat 3 eggs in one sitting, just eat 2, and have a hard boiled egg later with your apple and cashews.

You're not trying to cut weight/fat, so adding in some carbs wouldn't kill you. A sweet (or white) potato or some rice maybe.

Are you actually hungry when you eat that breakfast? If I eat early, before I'm actually hungry, then I'm hungry again sooner. And I don't think I could stomach that much food very early in the day. If I delay eating until late morning/noonish when I'm actually hungry, I stay fuller longer after that first meal, and I'm able to eat a heartier meal.

Dairy doesn't make me hungry. I find full fat yogurt and good quality cheese to be satisfying. Cheese will kill your budget though!

And if you're eating on a budget, opt for cheaper, fattier cuts of meat so you can eat MORE. Seriously, I don't think you're eating enough.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast