Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why am I so HUNGRY all the time?!!! page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sophie, to answer your questions about my posts:

-yum or squash: I find that I am sensitive to fructose, but tolerate starch better in terms of satiation. For me the response was actually 'white potato'. On the other hand, the least hungry and the best energy balance that i have achieved was always on the diets that excluded starch and sweets. I did it both Paleo way (less fat, about 30-40% and a lot of non-starchy veggies) and I am doing it now Primal way with <30 g total carb and trying to get fat to over 70%. In both cases, after re-adjustment, I felt significant drop in hunger levels and quality.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with miso, I would have it myself if I knew how to make it, lol. I just make bone broth since it is so easy and makes such lovely big batches.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Miso Soup... Easy Peasy! And fast too.
    You could make it while you are waiting for the bone broth you'll be having tomorrow.
    But you need some stuff from the Asian super market.
    Miso paste- I prefer White or Red Miso (white is mildest, and likely what you have been served in restaurants)
    Kombu kelp
    Bonito flakes
    Dried Wakame seaweed

Making the Dashi:broth (4 cup batch)
    4 cups water
    About 3 (2.5 to 3.5) broken up long sheets of Kombu (there is some leeway for size of pieces here, some will be large others small)
    Two cups Bonito flakes, packed
    Tofu cubes? (You can if you want... I say NO! I use cod loin pan cooked in some butter then flaked into my soup once it's done.)
    Dried wakame seaweed.
    Green onion, sliced thinly to sprinkle in.

Add the kombu to the cold water in a pot on the stove and heat to just under boiling.
    When the kombu is all puffed up and the water is just about to break into boil, turn off the heat and dump in the bonito flakes.
    Let this sit and get happy in the steaming water for about 5 min.
    Pour this through a strainer with some cheese cloth or an ultra-fine sieve.
    You now have beautiful delicious Dashi. It's good on it's own too... or heated with shaved shitake mushrooms and shallot.
    (Dashi will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, so feel free to make a double batch in the winter... Miso soup will not!)

Now, to make it Miso soup... put it back on the stove but on very, very low heat. You do not want to "heat" the Miso, it will kill the good bacteria. To mix in the Miso it is easiest to ladle some of the warm Dashi into a smaller bowl and whisk some clumps of the Miso paste into it until it liquefies, then add it back to the pot. Do this until the desired flavor has been reached...

Sprinkle some wakame into the Miso soup bowl and pour soup over it... careful here... it EXPANDS!!! LOL
    If you've never played with this stuff you will likely over do it.
    Really ... it expands like 5x.. or more.
    Fun stuff.
    Important to add the wakame to the finished Miso though IMO... it soaks up the flavors of the liquid it is in.

Then add tofu cubes and onions for traditional ... or cod loin if you want to up the yum factor a little like me.
    Or... I also just skip it and go for extra wakame somtimes.
    Miso soup with extra greens is good.

Bonus: All the ingredients for basic Miso Soup... the Kombu, Bonito Flake, Miso paste, wakame... are really shelf stable and last a long time. You can always have them on hand. Miso int he refrigerator, and the rest in sealed containers in the pantry.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-20-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Can you get some labs, Sophie?

I've no idea why you would be experiencing what you are. I can see that you might not be eating enough across the whole day, but is that relevant to what you experience just then at that time of day so soon after eating that? I think a meal such as you just described there should absolutely kill hunger for hours and would for most people.
    This breakfast, in a slightly smaller quantity, used to squash my appetite for hours. I don't have any other issues or concerns, or I would be getting some lab work done.

Thank you everyone, these are all great suggestions! We're all so smart, must be all those artery-clogging saturated fats.

I'm going to eliminate the extra dairy, mostly cow's milk cheese, and only eat fruit on Crossfit days. Rice makes me ravenous, but a daily yam or some butternut squash wouldn't hurt. I also added alcohol back in this month. Maybe that's the biggest culprit of them all...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Miso Soup... Easy Peasy! And fast too.
    You could make it while you are waiting for the bone broth you'll be having tomorrow.
    But you need some stuff from the Asian super market.
    Miso paste- I prefer White or Red Miso (white is mildest, and likely what you have been served in restaurants)
    Kombu kelp
    Bonito flakes
    Dried Wakame seaweed

Making the Dashi:broth (4 cup batch)
    4 cups water
    About 3 (2.5 to 3.5) broken up long sheets of Kombu (there is some leeway for size of pieces here, some will be large others small)
    Two cups Bonito flakes, packed
    Tofu cubes? (You can if you want... I say NO! I use cod loin pan cooked in some butter then flaked into my soup once it's done.)
    Dried wakame seaweed.
    Green onion, sliced thinly to sprinkle in.

Add the kombu to the cold water in a pot on the stove and heat to just under boiling.
    When the kombu is all puffed up and the water is just about to break into boil, turn off the heat and dump in the bonito flakes.
    Let this sit and get happy in the steaming water for about 5 min.
    Pour this through a strainer with some cheese cloth or an ultra-fine sieve.
    You now have beautiful delicious Dashi. It's good on it's own too... or heated with shaved shitake mushrooms and shallot.
    (Dashi will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, so feel free to make a double batch in the winter... Miso soup will not!)

Now, to make it Miso soup... put it back on the stove but on very, very low heat. You do not want to "heat" the Miso, it will kill the good bacteria. To mix in the Miso it is easiest to ladle some of the warm Dashi into a smaller bowl and whisk some clumps of the Miso paste into it until it liquefies, then add it back to the pot. Do this until the desired flavor has been reached...

Sprinkle some wakame into the Miso soup bowl and pour soup over it... careful here... it EXPANDS!!! LOL
    If you've never played with this stuff you will likely over do it.
    Really ... it expands like 5x.. or more.
    Fun stuff.
    Important to add the wakame to the finished Miso though IMO... it soaks up the flavors of the liquid it is in.

Then add tofu cubes and onions for traditional ... or cod loin if you want to up the yum factor a little like me.
    Or... I also just skip it and go for extra wakame somtimes.
    Miso soup with extra greens is good.

Bonus: All the ingredients for basic Miso Soup... the Kombu, Bonito Flake, Miso paste, wakame... are really shelf stable and last a long time. You can always have them on hand. Miso int he refrigerator, and the rest in sealed containers in the pantry.
    This looks AWESOME! And gives me a good reason to trek way out east to the Asian market.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    This breakfast, in a slightly smaller quantity, used to squash my appetite for hours. I don't have any other issues or concerns, or I would be getting some lab work done.

Thank you everyone, these are all great suggestions! We're all so smart, must be all those artery-clogging saturated fats.

I'm going to eliminate the extra dairy, mostly cow's milk cheese, and only eat fruit on Crossfit days. Rice makes me ravenous, but a daily yam or some butternut squash wouldn't hurt. I also added alcohol back in this month. Maybe that's the biggest culprit of them all...
    Alcohol affects my sleep, negatively. iIf you are drinking some you may be getting hunger signals, that are actually tired signals.

Jennifer

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Alcohol can be dehydrating. Maybe your "hunger" is not a need to eat, but rather a need to rehydrate.

Moll is offline Member
    Aside from the fact that you might actually have something going on with your system, have you considered adding green veggies? You can eat a ridiculous amount of kale or spinach without racking up calories, and it might fill your stomach up a little more? Kale chips are delicious and you can season them awesomely!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12