Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for MN State Patrol page

jdebelly is offline Junior Member

Training for MN State Patrol

Primal Fuel
    ***Note*** I'm now keeping a Journal Blog here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66465.html

Hello -

I'm training for the physical test for the Minnesota State Patrol.

The link to the fitness standards is here: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/msp/joi...ds%20Final.pdf

I am 41, and the requirements for a passing score is a minimum of 1 pt in every area (5 areas) AND a minimum score of 50 overall.

In particular, I've been working on my pushups quite a bit, but feel like I've plateaued, or struggle to make muscle and strength gains. What would you do to guarantee 45 pushups in 1/min by March?

I will say that I will pass my run tests, but may not score higher than a 7 combined :-) *if I tested today*.

The test will be in late *March* 2013.

I currently weigh between 205-210, have not been running lately but will at least make the scores.

My strength area is the sit-ups but am shooting for 50, but am plateaued at *around* 35/min. At least right now.

If I took the test today, I'd probably earn:
    2 points from the jump
    14 points from the sit-ups (we'll say)
    1 point from the sprint,
    16 points from the Push-Ups, and
    5 points from the run.

A total of: 38

If I can train myself to confidently complete:
    >40 *good* pushups (score +19)
    >47 *good* situps (score +19)
    speed up the sprint by :14 (score +2)
    speed up the 1.5 mile run by 1 minute (score +7)
    and jump 2 more inches (score +5)

...I'll pass with a 52 :-)

Now, your thoughts?

The great thing for me is -having this workout goal keeps me working out! No matter what I win. I'm *really* trimming up, am 100% confident that I will succeed, and am very happy with my physical life.

And I've kept over 100lbs off for a year.
    Last edited by jdebelly; 09-23-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Without getting into the details too much it would make sense to me to actually focus on the run, sprint and jump - especially as the sprint and jump (and to a degree the run) will actually work interchangeably. Even if you get really, really good at sit-ups and push-ups you're only gonna add a max of 10 or so points whereas you have a potential to earn 52 points from those other elements.

That said, if you do want to focus on getting the push-ups and sit-up numbers up then greasing the groove/frequency method is as good as anything. Regular small sets throughout the day of each exercise (never going to failure) and the occasional max set (perhaps once per week) to see how you're progressing.

jdebelly is offline Junior Member
    Ok!

What are the recommendations for improving the jumping? For the jumping, I'm at *around* 12 inches, jumping with a 3lb weight. I've measured the heights in my garage, and marked off all the inches.

Do you recommend any plyometrics? How and what should I do?

What I had been doing was 100 pushup theme; minimum 3 sets - first set to failure, then a break in between sets - 20 seconds or so. Completing enough sets to complete 40 *good* quality pushups. I'd been doing this several times a day, several times a week.

I also did a brutal - felt great doing it! - workout - light weights on benchpress for as many as possible for 60 seconds. The goal was to exceed 40 per set of weights in the minute.

In *theory* to do good form pushups, I should be able to lift 70% of my body weight for 60 seconds... 70% of 210 would be 147, so... does it make sense to want a goal of doing 40 benchpresses/minute of 150lbs? Is that accurate?

I've lately switched my running to longer stationary biking - specifically to be able to read my homework assignments. I'd done two half marathons this year (my only 2), but they were at a slower pace and I injured my toes, so I've been lifting and biking for now.

I can and will *get back out there* for the running, and concentrate on 1.5 mile runs and then sprints. In my head I have to have something else for fitness, as to me, the 1.5 mile run is just not long enough to really *count*, it's a performance workout.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    box jumps will probably help you with your jumping, along with jump squats.

i was going to recommend the 100 pushups program, but i'm with coach...focus on other things. you won't gain as many points from the additional push ups, and the way the scoring works doesn't really focus on how many you can do...it seems to focus on how fast.

i would focus on a three mile run, doing intervals between telephone poles once per week, and hitting some hills once in a while. practicing at 3 miles, which isn't much, will make 1.5 a breeze so you can pick up your pace during the test. same thing with sprints; practice 400m laps at a track.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Actually the pdf looks like it has good advice for each event to train up.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Simply doing more hits a pretty limited point of diminished returns. Situps and pushups both measure muscular strength endurance- you need both strength and endurance.

Strength is slow to build and slow to fade. Endurance is quick to build and quick to fade.

Build strength now. Work endurance as you get closer.

This means start adding weight to your bench press- 5 pounds every workout, until you stall out, then drop down and build back up.

Pullups are a balancing exercise to pushups. If you are stalled in one, work the other.

You will strengthen your core more from planks and hanging leg raises. Situps don't do much to build anything useful, but they are a fairly accurate demonstration of what you have built.

Heavy squats and deadlifts will build your legs and your core, which will help your sprint, your long run, your jump, and your situps.

Finally, your best return on investment is going to be focusing on your weak areas, not your strong ones. That means the runs and the jump. Start sprinting, start squatting, start deadlifting. A lot of runners neglect their posterior chain, which has a huge impact on both speed, power, and endurance (the three things they are testing in your weak events). You should have a sore ass and hamstrings 2-3 times per week, with the numbers you're showing right now.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    COOL!

I was a city police officer back in my late 20s in WA State. We had departmental physical requirements that were somewhat like yours. In addition, we had to have less than 20% body fat; male/female.

You can do this. You sure can!

I have no thoughts; just admiration and encouragement. Keep us posted.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Take a barefoot running course if you can find one. Typically, workshops will be run by shoe stores that sell predominately Vibrams and the like.

It REALLY helped me reduce injuries and increase comfort by changing the way I ran and the shoes I ran in.

Good luck to you!!!!!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    COOL!

I was a city police officer back in my late 20s in WA State. We had departmental physical requirements that were somewhat like yours. In addition, we had to have less than 20% body fat; male/female.

You can do this. You sure can!

I have no thoughts; just admiration and encouragement. Keep us posted.
    How often were they finding females with 20% bodyfat? That's like requiring 8% from men.

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jdebelly View Post
    *snip*

The great thing for me is -having this workout goal keeps me working out! No matter what I win. I'm *really* trimming up, am 100% confident that I will succeed, and am very happy with my physical life.
    So am I.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast