Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not 'leaning out' like i had hoped! page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The 10 PB Laws make it pretty easy for a lot of people to get into a healthy weight range. Mark himself admits that most people can't get lower BF than that without "hacks" or "extreme measures."

I'd suggest you look into IF and or carb cycling/re-feeds if this goal really matters to you. And skip the classes in favor of actual lifting exercises and actual "sprinting" exercises.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    I'd also be wary of going too low in carbs for too long a time, since that will just murder your metabolism.
    Please provide some type of support for this statement. I know there are people who don't deal well with long-term VLC, but there are hundreds or perhaps thousands of MDA users who have thrived this way for extended periods of time.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    lift heavier to lean out. seriously.
    even I at 41, 5'8", and a solid, big - boned, heavy muscled 145# - got considerably leaner when I upped the weights...upper and lower body. my legs did NOT get bigger, the fat went away and you can see the indiv. muscles in my quads and hams.
    shoulders are defined and still working on the tricep - damn weak muscle anyway!
    anyway, I started primal / paleo in sept. 2011 and didn't start a workout program until march. kickboxing and heavy weights got me pretty lean in 6 months with some yet to go!

forward,
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

R1chman is offline Junior Member
    Agree with Leida on this. I started out 3 weeks ago. I'm not anticipating looking like Ben Hur any time soon.

The key is in our changing and adapting our living practice. I'm sticking with the program, and feeling great, full of energy, and happier for the change, will do me for now.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    We do circuits with free weights or on 1 machine or things outside like flipping tires. Kettle bells. Weighted squats. Some dead lifting or snatch pull. It is probably something I could do with heavier weights than I am using now (he gets on me for that), but I have scoliosis which complicates things a bit when it comes to lifting. I am working on core strength again which he incorporates throughout and in a 'finisher' on some days. Heavy weights are 6 reps max; reps 5-6 should feel like you almost cannot do it. Need to wrap my mind around that feeling; I tend to do 6 reps of difficult, but not too difficult.
    There is no thumbs up smiley, but if it was, I would put it here!

You are doing great.

Unfortunately, this leaves the diet to work on. The hard part. Good luck!!!

EDIT: I often feel it is unfair to have to eat like a saint and work out like a martyr to just get the Okay result. Still, I know that Okay is better than being fat, and aiming for better than average may or may not yield the desired, but at least I continue trying.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure that Leida is more right than I am since she has a way better body than me, but one thing that can put fat on your belly is stress. And sometimes I think all this emphasis on all these high-impact, heavy weights, sprinting and to always be doing everything with the volume turned up to 11 can be sort of stressful.

I do not have any evidence of my own that NOT lifting heavy and sprinting and attending high-energy classes where you push yourself hard is the answer. But I am giving it a try right now. Instead of push-push-push I am taking it easier. Riding my bicycle slowly to work. Jogging slowly at lunch. Hiking moderately on the weekend and (hopefully) avoiding the whole push-push-push race to the top thing I normally do.

I normally eat fairly low carb since I'm not a big fruit or potato eater. I mostly am eating meats of all kinds and veggies of all kinds and not worrying too much about macros or anything. Lately I have been eating breakfast later but I don't know if that also causes stress and that maybe I should return to eating earlier in the morning. I may try that when I get some different food in the house.

I'll resume strength training in two weeks, but for now I'm attempting to see if slowing down and engaging in activities that don't result in muscles soreness 4 days a week will reduce stress and help move things forward for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    First I'd cut out the fructose/sweets. The problem is that fructose is in just about everything you'd buy these days in a grocery store or restaurant. The Skinny on Obesity - UCTV Prime - UCTV - University of California Television

What fructose does is raise uric acid in the cell which down regulates mitochondria's ability to produce ATP and set in play a metabolic mechanism to store fat The Fat Switch Book | Weight Control Guide - Mercola.com. The paleo/evolutionary reason for this is to put on fat for winter by down regulating energy output (couch potato) and increasing the hunger signal through insulin and leptin resistance. Originally, fruit was the seasonal signal to trip this weight gain.

The kick in the ass is excess exercise also raises intracellular uric acid through the constant break down of muscle tissue, and excess exercise also increases cortisol levels which also set you up to gain, hold onto, body fat.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Sbhikes, you are making me feel so embarrassed, since it's rather far from the truth.

For the record, every year I go through a month or two of low impact activity only. I have this cycle that kicks in in April-May, when my weight just piles up insanely no matter what I do, so I usually step back, just work in the garden and walk and try to keep calories down. I did it like 3 times. It helps maintaining, but does not lead to fat loss for me. Intense exercise always gave me the best results fat-loss wise; low-impact seem to just do nothing for fat loss, though I love it for well-being.

Nutritionally, I am testing out Scott's hypothesis right now, not touching any fructose (or sugar, but that's duh! no brainer).

I am also testing staying in ketosis - well, as soon as I can get into the perfect ketosis!- without carb ups to see if that can work or if carb cycling is the only option.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm sure that Leida is more right than I am since she has a way better body than me, but one thing that can put fat on your belly is stress.
    My life is stressful, but was maybe more stressful 10yrs ago when I had lower body fat and a flat belly. I have a child with Autism and a marriage on the rocks now, plus a 47 yr old body that is going through a firestorm of hormonal changes. My cortisol levels are all screwed up (too high in the AM/PM). My sleep cycle is off.

I'm considering asking my husband to cut back to part time so I can go back to school. This might sound crazy, but I don't know if I want to go back to school because I worry I'll put my Primal life on the back burner to make it through the 1-2 years of balancing school and family. If my husband doesn't cut back at work it will be beyond stressful! I don't want to stop my work outs and my fun primal cooking.

Ah, another dilemma! First things first. Cut out sugar.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is very true that it's harder to lose fat at a low starting weight. I'm underweight right now having started at the lower end of normal on a CW diet and consequently had a bigger belly pooch than I'd like. 6 months in, it's still there but going away very slowly though I've lost weight overall.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast