Thread: Heart Racing in the PM? page

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member

Heart Racing in the PM?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed this week at work that around 3-5pm my heart races more than usual, with a slight tightness in my chest. Never noticed this before.

Here are a few facts - work 8-5pm, have a standing desk (try to stand at least 3/4 of the day). Food during the day is generally - HB egg/muffin frittata, protein shake w/coconut milk, leftovers (meat & veg of some kind) and then a carrot/capsicum as a crunchy afternoon snack.

I slow move a fair amount, LHT 3x week, am at an optimal weight. No stressors that seem worth mentioning.

Anyone any ideas? Anything I might be eating that is causing it? Eeep!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Do you drink coffee?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Yep, I have a coffee with a little coconut cream as soon as I wake up. But that's it for the whole day...

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    You could be extra sensitive to the caffeine. Or have been sensitive to it all along (don't know how long you have been off SAD), and now the symptoms are not hidden by other "noise." Although you only have one in the morning...

Maybe you are feeling stressed about going home at 5pm? I don't know what to suggest. Except that if you can't figure it out and it continues to bother you, you might get it checked out by a doctor. I had extra hard beating in my chest when I went to bed. Ended up having an ecg and a holter for a day, but it turned out I was simply drinking too much coffee.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    You could be extra sensitive to the caffeine. Or have been sensitive to it all along (don't know how long you have been off SAD), and now the symptoms are not hidden by other "noise." Although you only have one in the morning...

Maybe you are feeling stressed about going home at 5pm? I don't know what to suggest. Except that if you can't figure it out and it continues to bother you, you might get it checked out by a doctor. I had extra hard beating in my chest when I went to bed. Ended up having an ecg and a holter for a day, but it turned out I was simply drinking too much coffee.
    I agree completely. Some people can down the coffee and not feel anything but some can't. And this sensitivity can change over time. Try it as an experiment for a few weeks of life totally decaffeinated and see how you feel. If it doesn't get better then I would see a doctor.

MaritzSmit is offline Junior Member
    I have a coffee with a little coconut cream as soon as I wake up

I've been primal about 9 months, and always had a morning coffee, usually an afternoon one too. But cut down to just one in the morning for some time now. I have just started a new job though, and although I don't find it stressful, who knows? There could be some relation.

Thanks for the help, if it is still happening next week, I'll cut out the coffee and see what happens

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Maybe thyroid. Maybe a lot of things I guess. See your doctor and get some tests run; then you've got more to go on.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    My husband gets tachycardia on occasion at night, and we figured out it was a potassium deficiency. Since potassium is mainly in some fruits like bananas and canteloupe, white potatoes and molasses, is it possible you're low in potassium, too?

Also, an even bigger possibility is a histamine intolerance. It seems like my very lucky husband is now also having issues with foods containing histamines, and foods that trigger the relase of histamines (racing heart is one of his symptoms). It's an easy thing to google to get some more info on, but basically, it's any cured/smoked food like cheeses/meats like bacon or cold cuts, anything fermented like aged cheeses, kombucha, etc..., and a few other things like tomatoes and chicken.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-21-2012 at 09:03 AM.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    My husband gets tachycardia on occasion at night, and we figured out it was a potassium deficiency. Since potassium is mainly in some fruits like bananas and canteloupe, white potatoes and molasses, is it possible you're low in potassium, too?

Also, an even bigger possibility is a histamine intolerance. It seems like my very lucky husband is now also having issues with foods containing histamines, and foods that trigger the relase of histamines (racing heart is one of his symptoms). It's an easy thing to google to get some more info on, but basically, it's any cured/smoked food like cheeses/meats like bacon or cold cuts, anything fermented like aged cheeses, kombucha, etc..., and a few other things like tomatoes and chicken.
    Thank you for this information, I had not made that connection...so much to learn about histamines.