Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal/paleo and ADHD? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

Primal/paleo and ADHD?

Shop Now
    Ive probably asked this before but any idea how being primal/paleo effects those with ADHD?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Should be a bit help. As a former teacher I have never seen and ADHD with a good diet even my SAD standards, primal should make a huge difference.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    My brother has ADHD and when we were kids we ate a very clean diet as any additives would have him bouncing off the Walls. An additive free clean diet can only be a good thing

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    My husband and oldest son (and probably middle one) have ADHD. My husband and I are both eating primally, and we are working on getting our boys primal as well. When my husband eats non-primal things, we both see a marked difference in his concentration and mood. The struggle with my oldest son is getting him to give up the breadsd and other bad carbs.

Recently I am doing my best to be even more vigilant about not getting anything with dyes and other additives. These toxins are much harder on those with ADHD than those without. From a recent seminar I attended on ADHD, I learned that the bodies of those with ADHD are unable to process those toxins, and they definitely contribute to the problems involved with the disorder.

Ok, short answer: Yes, a primal food choice will absolutely benefit a person with ADD/ADHD.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I have ADHD and it definitely helps considerably. It doesn't "cure" it but makes it more manageable. Some find that with some coaching and diet that's enough to manage it without meds.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Recently I am doing my best to be even more vigilant about not getting anything with dyes and other additives. These toxins are much harder on those with ADHD than those without. From a recent seminar I attended on ADHD, I learned that the bodies of those with ADHD are unable to process those toxins, and they definitely contribute to the problems involved with the disorder.
    I noticed this with my son, years ago. The very worst were bright food colors, like the kind in Frooty Pebbles and similar foods. And he does have ADD. I have ADD symptoms as well, though I have a feeling mine is more due to numerous concussions, aggravated by food choices over the years.

My son is an adult now and, though he's far from Primal, I have noticed an improvement in his ability to handle frustration since he has started eating better. In my case, Primal has allowed me to focus better and has given me better control over my emotions. It's much easier for me to hold my tongue than it was before, though I still don't have much of a filter once I get started.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Not trying to push the VLC lifestyle by any means, but I had a friend who has adhd and since he started doing a cyclic ketogenic primal style diet (he did it for purely physical reasons, trying to cut down to single digit bf etc but anyway) he noticed he exhibited less of his ADHD symptoms VLC-ing and takes fewer of his meds as well.
    That is his n =1 though and YMMV and but as it has already been written eating clean can only be a good thing.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Check out Emily Deans' blog on Evolutionary Psychiatry, lots on this topic there, excellent info

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I believe it makes a difference. My oldest son (16) went on meds for it due to poor grades/concentration issues in school. He hated being on them, and they took away his appetite. He's an athlete and wanted to gain weight - not drop it! He is now off medication, but not fully primal. Breakfast is bacon and eggs every day, and dinner is meat/veggies. He eats lunch at school and the junk they serve! But I do believe removing the cereal/pancakes, etc. from breakfast along with carbs/starch at dinner has made a great improvement in his concentration/grades without meds as well as mood. Plus he seems to be gaining the weight/muscle he was wanting.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I am ADHD. Being truly Primal has done wonders for me. I can almost concentrate normally. Still need a list to work by, but my memory is fuzzy anyways. I'm sure mine'd be even better if I could work on my O3s, but I'm not worrying about that quite yet. Going grain free REALLY helped, cutting out most sugar helped even more.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast