Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems seasoning cast iron page 3

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've tried greasing it while cool, warming it before greasing, it gets seasoned several times before I attempt cooking with it

I was paranoid about putting it in the self cleaning cycle because people said it would warp the pan

I haven't tried 3 hours at 300 with some lard, I'll have to tuck it in with a pot roast. Or maybe make some carnitas?

Also, the temperature range makes sense, tho I think I did do several rounds in the electric oven... Which probably means I should get a thermometer, you're right.

This whole thing has been pretty frustrating because there are so many people who can apparently get a perfectly seasoned pan in one try. Also a lot of contradictory info like soap is fine because it doesn't affect the polymer, never use soap, never use metal because it will scrape off the seasoning, always use metal because the continuous scraping is what gives you the flat glassy finish. Right now it sticks worse than my stainless All-Clad! I just want to cook some eggs, dammit!

thanks for all the info, you guys!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    My pan is already warped so I might as well try the cleaning cycle =P

Also, hi ottercat! I feel like you vanished for a while and I could not remember your username, but I wondered where you'd gone to.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    All of my cast iron comes from when I worked in a scrap yard - crane operator. We would frequently find old pans. We stuck them in the daily bonfire, came back the next morning and they were like new -- no warp. I tried the salt and oven and baking with grease, etc. No matter what, they all seasoned on their own eventually.

Also, when we camp with my hyper-neat daughter-in-law they get washed with soap if I'm not looking. They all come back relatively quickly.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I've never personally had a cast iron pan warp. I would think it would be Ok if you let the pan cool slowly, don't go throwing water on it, or take it out of the oven before its cooled off. If you don't want to use the self cleaning option, maybe just try using a high temp for a longer period of time, then going through the seasoning process with lard.

My food gets stuck sometimes, so I just do the salt scrub under running water.

Throw it on our stove, heat it up to get rid of any other moisture, rewipe it out with some olive oil, and put it in the oven (if the oven is still warm) or let it cool off and put it in w/ the other pan.

Just buy a ton of bacon and cook some every day that will season it nicely.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We don't typically need to clean our cast iron pan after cooking meat in it, but my girl has just discovered the joys of deep fried bananas with her bacon for breakfast, and that needs to be cleaned up.

We just use a metal scraper to physically remove the residue (sometimes with a bit of hot water first to soften it up). Since we cook everything in ghee or lard, it's kind of always seasoned.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    *mutters*

Dear Goddess, who comes up with such crap?

If your cast iron is new, scrub it first with whatever soap you like, to get rid of the industrial crap left on it. Dry very well. Wipe it liberally (coat it) with a good non-salty fat of your choice: Lard works great, Suet works great, Coconut oil works great. Bake it at 300F (or, thereabouts) for a couple of hours. Be sure to turn on your vent fan. It will probably smoke a bit.

If you inherited a cast iron item that needs some TLC, scrub it out with salt, rinse, and coat as above.

I once had a pan that was coated in RUST... took a wire brush to it, got it all "shined" up... and then restored the seasoning with coconut oil.

We use almost exclusively coconut oil in our skillet for keeping the seasoning... after cooking, and wiping out, it might need a splash through straight hot water (no soap!!), a good wiping, and then another coat of coconut oil.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I stopped using cast iron cuz it was too hard on my wrists. I bought a nice ceramic nonstick (not Ogreenic ) it's nice and light and eggs are so easy to cook in it.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    Sooo, I seasoned my cast iron pan according to the instructions in Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To
    (i.e. strip with oven cleaner, do the black iron thing, use a very thin film of flaxseed)

And it just falls off every time I cook with it....
    Everything sticks like a bitch and then when I rinse and scrub with only hot water and a plastic scrubber, the "seasoning" comes off leaving bare iron.
    I re-did it in the oven at 450, in the grill at about 500 (several times before cooking with it). Lately I've been greasing it up and leaving it in the oven when I bake something. I even tried a layer of Crisco (don't ask)

A) what am I doing wrong?
    B) why do I need to heat it to 450 when the smoke point of flaxseed is 200 degrees F?

Thanks in advance!!
    I couldn't fathom starting the process out with oven cleaner! So the first thing the surface sees is caustic chemicals. Why on Earth would you ever want to do that?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I absolutely love my three cast iron frypans and one casserole dish. They are really old, and I found them covered in rust in the back shed. I scrubbed as much rust off as possible and then started cooking with them. Wow best feed I ever had !!!! I agree with uncephalized - butter is the best way to cook, althou I do cook with olive oil as well. Once I am done, while the pan is still frying hot, I fill it with hot water. When it comes time to clean, they wipe out beautifully.
    I have noticed that over time, the cooking oils condition them.
    Now for all you people who are over your cast iron pans !!!!!! send them to me. I will use them, or give them away to good homes !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast