Thread: Alcohol and Weight training? page

Alcohol and Weight training?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys,

This ones a bit ambiguous?

My friend who is a big drinker, Thursday through till Sunday drinking a bottle of wine to himself a night??!!??

What i'm finding hard to understand and hope someone with more knowledge can help is he trains 5 times a week? Hell Run 2.5 miles twice a week then weights and conditioning circuits 3 times a week and hell go hard.

He does not have any adverse effects. The only thing is he does not put muscle on(which i understand from the alcohol consumption).

Now this is what is confusing me?

He has recently given up Alcohol completely? (2 weeks)

His strength and stamina have gone. He has reduced his weight because he cant lift them. Hes pulling muscles and getting cramp that never happened before.

Can anyone give reasons why and and any supplements or foods that would help.

Thanks for your time

P.S Hes been Primal for 20months

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Hydration, magnesium, potassium perhaps.
    He might be dehydrated if he didn't replace all that wine with some water. Also it seems that his training schedule might be too much to allow for muscle growth.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I decided to lay off the nightly wine this week. Two days in and I have achieved a head cold. I am thrilled to pieces. I know, I know. Correlation is not necessarily causation, but still.....

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Hydration, magnesium, potassium perhaps.
    He might be dehydrated if he didn't replace all that wine with some water. Also it seems that his training schedule might be too much to allow for muscle growth.
    yeah, if I gave up wine and coffee at the same time, I would perish in days!
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 09-19-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    I agree with you, OneDelta!

Opera is offline Junior Member
    I have a theory!!! I don't know this person in particular, but I used to be a heavy drinker and went through similar stuff...

A whole bottle of wine has a lot of sugar- probably more than he's getting on his normal primal diet. Tell him to try supplementing with more carbs.

When I quit drinking, I would get really hungry. I figured out that it was because the drinks had a lot of calories, or I would eat while drinking, probably the equivalent to at least one meal!

Anyway, that's one possibility...

Opera is offline Junior Member
    PS

Congratulate your friend for me!!! It is not easy to quit drinking. Let him know that his body, and his wallet, are thanking him right now. Quitting drinking is a hugely important health step. It will take time for his body to re-equillibrate, but when it does he will definitely feel healthier than when he was drinking all the time.

Thanks for the reply guys