Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dates...the sugary fruit...not the evening out page

Dates...the sugary fruit...not the evening out

I eat damn clean paleo. No dairy, no grains, no sugar, no crap....but I crave dates and once I start eating dates it is harder than hard to stop. I rather eat dates than chocolate any day. Most days the only fruit I eat are dates...I try to stick to three or a single serving but then there are days like today when I ate the dates until they were gone and then walked around looking for something like a date...thankfully nothing to be found.

Am I missing some ingredient...some food group....what the hell makes me want all these dates. I have looked on the internet and sweet cravings can be caused my magnesium deficiency...but I get lots of magnesium...as my doc has me supplementing it.

I have been told that I need to do AI paleo but I can't get a grip on the dates...and I feel like I need to get some control over that so I can do the AI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ab

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    First world problems, hah. Dates are delicious. You'll probably grow out of the obsession. I went through a similar thing with figs for a few months

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Dates make you eat more maybe? Damm when I buy a package of 15, I usually eat them all in a day..
    well then

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From here: Calories in Dates, Domestic, Natural And Dry | Nutrition Information Facts and Data Analysis

An 8.3 gm date (about a third of an ounce), has 23 calories.
    Of that, 6.2 gms are carbohydrate.
    Of the carbohydrate, 5.3 grams are sugars. (5.3 gm x 4 cal/gm of carb/sugar = 21.2)

So, 21.2 out of every 23 calories comes from sugar. This is a whopping 92%.

So, while dates are primal, they are almost all sugar. If you're sensitive to sugar or carbs, it's no wonder they are your binge food.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I went through a similar thing with figs for a few months
    Going through the fig love right now. Wrapped in bacon and baked they are AMAZING. Mmmmmm...figs.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Same here -- eat them until they are gone. Between the delicious texture and taste...yeah. Don't buy them, don't eat them. No control available.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Is eating dates causing you problems? Moodiness, fatigue, weight gain, etc.? If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy them.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Is eating dates causing you problems? Moodiness, fatigue, weight gain, etc.? If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy them.
    Great point!

I would also ask if you're eating any starchy carbs? When I'm not eating enough starchy stuff I seem to crave something sweet.

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I also loves dates. He especially will eat them until they are gone. If I buy them, I don't get very many of them They are definitely our sugary treat, and not purchased regularly.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been craving figs and dates as well recently. Luckily I have had the willpower to restrain most times as I am VLC-ing. I find fig spreads with cheeses like brie to be so yummy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast