Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dates...the sugary fruit...not the evening out page 2

Primal Fuel
    I don't eat any starchy carbs, I love the damn dates...it is easiest to leave them at the grocery store. I have auto immune issues up the yang and so shouldn't be eating them. I can't lose weight...ok...not can't but it takes a hell of a lot of effort and not eating dates would probably help. It is more that I don't like the loss of control when they are around. I was a diet coke addict for years and had my last one 4 years ago...I hate not having control.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts...yup it is a 1st world problem...and a delicious one.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I can eat a few at a time as long as I don't gorge on them. What I've been doing lately is for every date I eat I pop two macadamia nuts in my mouth at the same time and chew them up together. It's datey, buttery, creamy goodness and I'm good with two-three as a snack.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Dates are amazing, but the sugar content is staggering, its like 60g sugar/100g of dates.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Thank goodness it's not just me. I'm the same, I buy them and eat them until they're gone! Now I just rush past the date shelf in the store.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    There's a vendor who sells organic dates by the pound at a nearby farmer's market. I sampled one and pretty much ran away. It was so damn good that I wanted to buy the pound and just eat all of it at once =.= But seriously, way better than any dates I could get at Whole Foods.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    There's a vendor who sells organic dates by the pound at a nearby farmer's market. I sampled one and pretty much ran away. It was so damn good that I wanted to buy the pound and just eat all of it at once =.= But seriously, way better than any dates I could get at Whole Foods.
    Oh, yeah there is one like that at my Farmer's Market too. It's seriously like a drug pusher on the corner, "Here just try a taste. It's all natural. There now, You want some more of that sugar, don't you? Here, I'll sell you a whole bag of it." Yep. Run. Dates=adult candy.

primal me is offline Member
    My favourite primal indulgence is dates stuffed with goat cheese and half a pecan. I even tried them wrapped with prosciutto, so salty and savoury! Luckily I am able to stop myself at two or three dates and not eat more than that.

I am sensitive to sugar and must be careful of how much fruit I eat and when I eat it. I like to save the fruit for later in the day, that way my blood glucose stays level for the large part of the day and I sleep any fruit spike off. I also don't have fruit every day. It just seems to be risking all kinds of temptation to eat fruit every day.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Most fruits did the same thing for me before I cut them out (well, mostly).

Raisins were a certified BINGE trigger for me. Yikes!

I can only imagine dates would be a horrible trigger. Some people can handle fruit fine, some can only do small doses of fruits every now and then, some people need to cut them all together. You need to figure out where you fall on that spectrum.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Great point!

I would also ask if you're eating any starchy carbs? When I'm not eating enough starchy stuff I seem to crave something sweet.
    I do eat plenty of starch, but I also eat LOTS of fruit -- as much as I care for, really. I'm one of the most lenient people on this board when it comes to carbohydrates, especially sugar. It's all about what works for you, though.

If you've noticed that starch mitigates your cravings for sweet food, then, by all means, eat more starch! I would have to ask, however, if craving sweet is such a bad thing. After you get your fill, are you still left wanting more and more and more? Do you truly BINGE on dates or are you just eating more than the average person?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I agree, you have to find your happy place with fruit. I eat as much as I want. I am halfway into a Whole 30 and have gotten off a weightloss stall. Prior, I was getting to the point that I thought fruit was the culprit, but it wasn't. I eat 3-4 servings a day. What I was doing was skipping fruit when I wanted it (1-2 pieces a day was it) and was subbing in higher cal treats or just saying F it and eating something worse- chocolate, ice cream.

Iknow many posters here have done thoughtful research into their fruit issues and are not as lucky. But you owe it to yourself to see if you really have an issue before you cut it out or limit it drastically.

For reference, this week I have lost 3 lbs. I ate normal paleo meals and about a pound of figs, a pound of strawberries, 7 bananas and 3-4 plums. They have done the trick of keeping me satisfied on the sweet front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12