Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Too much weight loss? page

  1. #1
    MurphyBea's Avatar
    MurphyBea is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    1

    Too much weight loss?

    Primal Fuel
    I have been on the PB diet for a good six months now, and have lost about 15 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but I weighed just under 100 pounds when I started. I am now down to 85 pounds and can't keep the weight on! I have tried adding more carbs with sweet potato and such but can't seem to add weight. It flies off of me!
    I feel great, have a TON of energy and am very active in my profession and lifestyle... I have never felt better, but I look like I have been in a concentration camp. All my curvy lady bits are disappearing... And as a commercial
    Pilot in the field carrying around over 80 pounds of ballast is a pain in the rear.
    Anyone else having a hard time?

  2. #2
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Wow, that's quite small. How tall are you? Do you know how much body fat you have?

    Part of this might be you are just naturally small, and as long as you're eating when you're hungry and eating until you're full, it doesn't sound like a *major* issue. Good to hear you feel great.

    Have you tried lifting weights to add some muscle? Would probably help you eat more as well.

    -Side note, a lot of my family is in Sandpoint...small world.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  3. #3
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,937
    Are you now trying to gain muscle weight? I second the weight lifting/strength exercise suggestion. Also eat more good, primal carbs.

  4. #4
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyBea View Post
    And as a commercial
    Pilot...
    BTW doing my commercial rating right now...
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  5. #5
    Iron Fireling's Avatar
    Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    446
    Wow...85lbs DOES sound really small... According to my Tanita scales I have about 85lbs of muscle, and I'm only 4'11" (and am despairing of ever getting down to my old weight of 100lbs). So unless you're REALLY small (smaller than me small...which is pretty darn small) I admit 85lbs does sound very very light.

    But that being said, I know people (my SIL is a good example) who are just naturally extremely skinny. Honestly, people accuse her of being anorexic because she looks so gaunt, but I can attest that she eats perfectly normally (not primal though!) and had two healthy babies in her 30s.

    Have you had a body fat measurement?? That's always a good gauge. If it's really low, then you probably do need to put on a bit more fat, but if it's within the normal range, I wouldn't think you have much to worry about.

  6. #6
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyBea View Post
    I have been on the PB diet for a good six months now, and have lost about 15 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but I weighed just under 100 pounds when I started. I am now down to 85 pounds and can't keep the weight on! I have tried adding more carbs with sweet potato and such but can't seem to add weight. It flies off of me!
    I feel great, have a TON of energy and am very active in my profession and lifestyle... I have never felt better, but I look like I have been in a concentration camp. All my curvy lady bits are disappearing... And as a commercial
    Pilot in the field carrying around over 80 pounds of ballast is a pain in the rear.
    Anyone else having a hard time?
    more alcohol may help....
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

  7. #7
    Quies's Avatar
    Quies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    113
    I am having the same issue, but I caught it sooner than 15 pounds down the road. My guess is that with highly active jobs we just aren't eating enough calories to cover what we are using in a day. Instead of carbs though, I'm dialing up on fat which has about 9 calories per gram vs carbs having about 4 cal/g. Time will tell if it works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Wow...85lbs DOES sound really small... According to my Tanita scales I have about 85lbs of muscle, and I'm only 4'11" (and am despairing of ever getting down to my old weight of 100lbs). So unless you're REALLY small (smaller than me small...which is pretty darn small) I admit 85lbs does sound very very light.
    I am a half inch shorter than you and have never seen a three digit weight.

  8. #8
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    My guess is that with highly active jobs we just aren't eating enough calories to cover what we are using in a day.
    The body (usually) is pretty good about telling your to eat more if you need it. Are you listening? =)

    More fat isn't a bad idea though.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  9. #9
    Quies's Avatar
    Quies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    The body (usually) is pretty good about telling your to eat more if you need it. Are you listening? =)

    More fat isn't a bad idea though.
    Yes, I have been listening. However, working out in the heat all day seems to suppress my appetite, which means I end up eating less on days when I am burning more calories. Today, for instance, I would have barely passed 700 calories if I ate only when I was hungry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •