Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladies (or Brave Men): Question Regarding Menstration page 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    If your diet has changed dramatically, it's possible that your cycle could be adjusting to new levels of hormones; for example, boosting your cholesterol intake will likely increase the amount of pregnenolone your body is producing, which as the 'mother of all hormones' which affect your hormonal levels. If it doesn't even out soon, then I'd get things checked out, but personally, I wouldn't worry just yet.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    estrogen is stored in fat cells, so if you're low-carb and you have now become a fat-burner an unusual amount of that hormone is floating around in your system and up[setting the apple cart. it will even itself out.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I am endlessly amused by this cultural notion that men ought to be terrified or disgusted by discussion of menstruation or other women's health issues.
    because most of them are. at work, i heard a 40-something man saying to another:

"why can't you trust a woman?"

"gee why?" said the other guy.

"how can you trust something that bleeds for 7 days every month and doesn't die?"

and the other laughed til he cried.

it's like something you'd hear 8-year old boys saying. i wanted to punch those troglodytes right in the face.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    because most of them are. at work, i heard a 40-something man saying to another:

"why can't you trust a woman?"

"gee why?" said the other guy.

"how can you trust something that bleeds for 7 days every month and doesn't die?"

and the other laughed til he cried.

it's like something you'd hear 8-year old boys saying. i wanted to punch those troglodytes right in the face.
    Oh, I know for the most part it's true; I find it amusing that so many men are idiots.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    All any many needs to do is live through a ruptured hemorrhoid once... and he'll stop that silliness.
    Just ask my husband.

Not that he was ever silly about menses, they never have seemed to bother him a bit.
    But once he got the full experience himself... well, minus the wonky hormones and cramps... he was much kinder.
    He did actually have a full week of bleeding, from a slightly different orifice but still, that necessitated the use of absorbent feminine pads...

He openly and honestly looked me in the eyes and said, "How do women really deal with this ALL the time? It's awful!"
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    Did you happen to consume a significant amount of soy (soymilk, etc.) before you went Primal? I ask because I used to think that my normal cycles were really long (35 days), but I had been drinking a ton of soymilk and soy "dairy" products because of my lactose intolerance. I read about the estrogen connection (we were trying to conceive at the time) and kicked the soy to the curb--that month my cycle was 10 days shorter and has been ever since. Just a thought.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    All any many needs to do is live through a ruptured hemorrhoid once... and he'll stop that silliness.
    Just ask my husband.

Not that he was ever silly about menses, they never have seemed to bother him a bit.
    But once he got the full experience himself... well, minus the wonky hormones and cramps... he was much kinder.
    He did actually have a full week of bleeding, from a slightly different orifice but still, that necessitated the use of absorbent feminine pads...

He openly and honestly looked me in the eyes and said, "How do women really deal with this ALL the time? It's awful!"
    Ugh, that sucks. I have hemorrhoids [TMI ALERT]from ~10 years of daily constipation and consequent occasional expulsion of something resembling a juvenile alligator in size and texture (all cleared up nowadays, thank the gods!) but luckily the worst they've ever done is bleed a little during the movement.[/TMI ALERT] I do not even want to think about bleeding out of my ass all day long.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    At 54 and having had no period for 7 months, with mega hot flashes. I had 2 periods in one month. Very heavy, also continued irregularly since. All hot flashes gone. I feel like I have turned back the clock. So, not all good, i was hoping it was all over LOL

So it does seem a lot of us experience big changes. I am only 3 months in, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Just ask my husband.

You just made my day cori! So funny!

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quick weight can cause havoc for cycles. I've lost around 45lbs since last fall and my periods been all over the place in this time. Now that I'm in maintenance hopefully it will normalize, but I'm now transitioning to primal eating so who knows lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast