Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladies (or Brave Men): Question Regarding Menstration page 2

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree that maybe it's just early spotting and not a full blown cycle starting. The last few cycles I did actually spot up to a week before my period started.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I would not worry about it - at least not during the first cycle or two if there were no added symptoms/discomfort. I did not have that sort of reaction when I first went primal but when I started superstrict low carb paleo to lower my bodyfat %, for two months I had spotting during my cycle and my normal menstruation (they are usually tiny because I am on a pill).
    Back then I tried to find out what it was all about and seemed to find a lot of reports of smilar experiences - mainly from low carbers.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmieloo View Post
    So, I am sure this has been asked before... but I can't seem to find it.
    And again, sorry if this is TMI, but it is worrying me.

Backdrop: I have been eating Primally for about three weeks 70/30, but for the past nine days have been 100%. In this time that I started this, I lost around 14 pounds in those three weeks. So it is a pretty big weight loss at a quick pace.

It has only 22 days since my last period, and I have started again... I think... I'm not sure because it isn't a normal period by far. I will get descriptive if you need, but I won't for the moment. And my cycle is normally around 35 days, so this one is 12 days early! Or 6-8 days from a regular 28-30 day cycle (which I have sometimes).

Has this happened to any other women? I ate Primally for about four months last year and this never happened.
    Explanations?

Thanks!
    Looking at your picture, I'm thinking I am on the opposite end of the period time-line. I'm 47 and my periods have been very irregular for the past year; maybe getting them every 3 months?

Since going Primal in July 2012 I've had a period each month. I am 100% certain this is a hormonal change (POSITIVE CHANGE) resulting from my dietary changes. It was also a heavier period than I had been used to but not abnormal.

I would not worry about it at all except for the fact that you say it isn't a *normal* period. Honestly, descriptives are probably necessary if you want help from the women or medical people here. Abnormal light or abnormal heavy? I probably should've read all of the replies to avoid repetition. Pregnancy possibility?

Doesn't take much to alter a cycle. Me? I would not be worried based on what you say in your OP.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    emmieloo,

I totally had this happen to me when I first started primal / paleo a year ago. I went strict no sugar, no grains - upped my good fats and got a period - a little lighter than normal, in the middle of my cycle. I am on birth control, so it should not have happened since my hormones were being regulated. after that though it evened out and I am back to regular.
    *disclaimer - NOT a dr! * bear with me here...cholesterol is the precursor to sex hormones, estrogen and progesterone - these and others, LH, FSH control your cycle. If you suddenly increase fat intake (good fat of course ;-) ) then the hormone production 'could' increase. if this happens, then your ratios of hormones may get out of wack, briefly signalling the body to dispense of the uterine lining....

anyway, it happened to me too - nbd, I didn't change my birthcontrol or anything - just kept on goin. it worked it's way back to normal the very next month.

forward,
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmieloo View Post
    So, I am sure this has been asked before... but I can't seem to find it.
    And again, sorry if this is TMI, but it is worrying me.

Backdrop: I have been eating Primally for about three weeks 70/30, but for the past nine days have been 100%. In this time that I started this, I lost around 14 pounds in those three weeks. So it is a pretty big weight loss at a quick pace.

It has only 22 days since my last period, and I have started again... I think... I'm not sure because it isn't a normal period by far. I will get descriptive if you need, but I won't for the moment. And my cycle is normally around 35 days, so this one is 12 days early! Or 6-8 days from a regular 28-30 day cycle (which I have sometimes).

Has this happened to any other women? I ate Primally for about four months last year and this never happened.
    Explanations?

Thanks!
    Being going through this for two months now (6 days earlier) than the 28 day cycle. Not sure what is causing it and was not concerned for some reason....

I'm not afraid of periods.

It's colons I avoid.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I'm not afraid of periods.

It's colons I avoid.
    This is why I like you. Smartassed punctuation humor!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Since being grain-free staring in July (minus a few good stout beers here and there and some rice), my usual 35 day cycle went to 28 last month. I think it's going to be the same this month as well, but now I'm feeling so good in the last 10 days after cutting out dairy that it's hard to tell lol...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    This is why I like you. Smartassed punctuation humor!
    It's very wise not to be afraid as extreme fear can induce a comma, and who knows where that will lead.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My hormones shift too. When i'm off primal, the luteal phase is bonks (ie, brown discharge at the beginning of menstruation). But, when i'm on primal, it's perfect without having to think about it. And fertility is FABU.

My menses follows the moon, so it shifts with that cycle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast