Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk steak for a moment. page 5

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Indeed. Kenji is a kitchen master. He reminds me a lot of Alton Brown (of whom Kenji is a fan) in the way that he is extremely good at explaining the science behind how different cooking methods produce their results. I love this because it helps me be a better cook. I can follow a recipe, but if I don't understand the reasons behind all the details, I am likely to "cut corners" when I wing it without following a written recipe. If I understand the reason for following all the finicky details that some recipes have, I am more likely to employ those techniques.
    Yeah, me, too. If I understand the why I will do it. Most recipes are way too fussy and have too many steps, but if they would explain the chemistry and physics behind the steps, I will make the effort.

By the way, some of these techniques also work on lamb. I "accidentally" bought some lamb loin chops recently because they were on sale. I didn't really know the difference between all the chops and so didn't realize that lamb loin chops are the primo version. I cooked them just like I cook steak, low in the oven with the probe, attempting for a nice rare middle. They came out fabulous and I swear lamb loin chops are what they serve in heaven because it was the tenderest meat and so tasty, like butter. Served it with some spearmint/basil pesto on top.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

2tall is offline Member
    I like ribeye, but it feels like too much work to get the meat away from the fat.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I like ribeye, but it feels like too much work to get the meat away from the fat.

Wait, what...

Meat AWAY from fat?
    An angel is weeping and falling from grace right now because of you.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

2tall is offline Member
    You eat the huge chewy veins of fat?

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post

Wait, what...

Meat AWAY from fat?
    An angel is weeping and falling from grace right now because of you.
    Seriously.

As bad as ordering steak well done.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    You eat the huge chewy veins of fat?
    YES. That is where the flavor is. I do prefer my ribeyes cooked at least medium-rare so that the fat has begun to render at least. I like the leaner steaks (strip, filet mignon) pretty much rare as I don't think they benefit at much from the extra cooking.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    2tall, if you are going to learn anything from this forum, it should be this:

Eat the fat.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I always eat the fat lol
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

MaryIM is offline Member
    I believe I've discovered a full-proof way to cook delicious steaks on the gas BBQ. I tenderize them and marinate them before putting on the grill.

I buy steaks from the grocery store, generally New York Strip. I tenderize them with a meat tenderizer/hammer (beat each steak on both sides, puncturing the meat). Then squeeze fresh lemon juice on the just pounded-meat. Then put the steaks in a ziplock bag and pour Italian dressing over the steaks. I keep them in the ziplock for at least 3 hours, turning them and "mushing" the marinade about every 20 minutes.

Remove steaks from the fridge about 30 minutes before putting them on the grill.

Pre-heat the BBQ. Then turn off the central burner (on a 3-burner grill) so that the steaks are cooked over indirect heat. Temp is about 550.

Remove steaks from the marinade and cook 1st side for 6 minutes. Turn the steaks (with tongs, so that you don't puncture the meat), and liberally sprinkle on some Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning. Cook for 7 - 8 minutes and ENJOY!

While the steaks are cooking, I generally prepare a batch of sauteed onions and mushrooms for a topping.

Yummy! This is what we're having tonight for dinner! I like to cook an extra steak and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, great to snack on.
    Last edited by MaryIM; 09-21-2012 at 04:22 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Oh my god that is a HUGE waste of a good ribeye. You are henceforth FORBIDDEN to ever eat a ribeye, you Phillistine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast