Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk steak for a moment. page 4

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, awesome links!
    Indeed. Kenji is a kitchen master. He reminds me a lot of Alton Brown (of whom Kenji is a fan) in the way that he is extremely good at explaining the science behind how different cooking methods produce their results. I love this because it helps me be a better cook. I can follow a recipe, but if I don't understand the reasons behind all the details, I am likely to "cut corners" when I wing it without following a written recipe. If I understand the reason for following all the finicky details that some recipes have, I am more likely to employ those techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    I have a salamander, a wood fired grill and cook with gas.... sort of a food nerd...
    Sounds like you are a kitchen master as well! I am jealous!

The_Undead_Pixie is offline Junior Member
    I introduce the steak to the frying pan but I don't let them get acquainted!

Sometimes I like a sauce with the steak so I will cook it longer, on a high heat for about 2 mins each side. For the sauce I have either mushrooms or cracked pepper. Basically remove the steak and let it sit. In the pan add more butter to the juices and add mushrooms. Fry them off in the butter and juices then add double cream. When reduced add any further juices from the steak, stir and pour over the steak.

When doing a pepper sauce just add the double-cream to the juices in the pan, add butter and stir. Add cracked peppercorns. When reduced add any further juices from the steak and pour over the steak!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Indeed. Kenji is a kitchen master. He reminds me a lot of Alton Brown (of whom Kenji is a fan) in the way that he is extremely good at explaining the science behind how different cooking methods produce their results. I love this because it helps me be a better cook. I can follow a recipe, but if I don't understand the reasons behind all the details, I am likely to "cut corners" when I wing it without following a written recipe. If I understand the reason for following all the finicky details that some recipes have, I am more likely to employ those techniques.
    I love AB, i go see him every time he shows up in Lexington. I wish i had the balls to take him to sushi the first time we met, he was roughing it and it was late and he was hungry.

sigh... next time AB next time
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

I think that my favorite method depends on the cut of beef.. this morning it wa chuck steak, salt pepper, crushed red pepper, coconut oil cast iron skillet. Chuck takes a longer cooking time but can still be med-rare when other steak would be toast so it is fine. I also have them cut thinner. they have become a favorite around the hacienda.

the thing about buying a whole beef... for some reason there are limits to ribeyes. i tried to get him to make a beef with all ribeye, but he said they dont come that way. sigh

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Room temperature, seasoned and rubbed with oil on both sides. Heat pan until SMOKING hot. Steak in. I'm not fussy on how it's cooked so I guess when it's done on that side and flip. While the other side cooks I put a spoonful of clarified butter on top. Guess again when that side is cooked, rest for 5 mins, eat. If it's very rare, doesn't bother me. As long as I don't go beyond medium I am happy.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    Room temperature, seasoned and rubbed with oil on both sides. Heat pan until SMOKING hot. Steak in. I'm not fussy on how it's cooked so I guess when it's done on that side and flip. While the other side cooks I put a spoonful of clarified butter on top. Guess again when that side is cooked, rest for 5 mins, eat. If it's very rare, doesn't bother me. As long as I don't go beyond medium I am happy.
    sigh, love

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

2tall is offline Member
    Tonight's experiment: I tried the heavier salt and let it rest, then rinsed, seasoned... Seared in oil and basted in butter.
    Texture was AMAZING. Very, very tender. Good, but not great crust. Can't wait to try more!

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Tonight's experiment: I tried the heavier salt and let it rest, then rinsed, seasoned... Seared in oil and basted in butter.
    Texture was AMAZING. Very, very tender. Good, but not great crust. Can't wait to try more!
    Why did you rinse it off?

And people lets talk about cuts. What is your favorite cut everybody? Personally nothing beats a fatass ribeye, behind that I top sirloin or stip, then theres always the chuck. they are cheap
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    And people lets talk about cuts. What is your favorite cut everybody? Personally nothing beats a fatass ribeye, behind that I top sirloin or stip, then theres always the chuck. they are cheap
    I agree. For steak, ribeye is king. Next time I order a half beef, I may actually ask for the ribeye cap (The loose-textured, fatty, most delicious part on the top of a ribeye) separately. Kenji sings its praises here:
    Meet the Ribeye Cap, the Tastiest Cut on the Cow | Serious Eats

I am not too much a fan of the other cuts as steaks; I prefer them as roasts. Pot roasted or smoked chuck is divine. And a top sirloin roast, heavily pepperd, cooked rare and served with horseradish cream sauce: heaven.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast