Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Primal Journal -- Grokini Mary page 4

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mary, that is great news. WEll done, keep it up, and best wishes as you help out your daughter too.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Day-11 of my New & Improved Eating Plan for Life! Total weight loss is 37 lbs (CW is 160). Scale has been stuck at the same number for 3 days, but that's OK.

Am challenging myself for the daily walking workouts ... timing myself. And have improved my time for the 2.5 mi walk by about a minute and a half. Today, we mapped out a longer walking route 3.2 miles. Will try that tomorrow. It's a good workout at 7,200' elevation.
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

MaryIM is offline Member
    It's been awhile since I've logged into MDA. I'm still doing well on my New & Improved Nutrition Plan for Life. My total weight loss is now 44 lbs. Which is ALOT! I was trying on a top in a clothing store the other day; the sales clerks were nearby & commented on how well the outfit looked. I was just staring in the mirror and thinking "who is that woman ... is it me???" I had gotten used to my old, fat self -- so that seeing a different person in the mirror was a surprise. This is after having been on my "diet" for about 4 months.

Finding summertime quite challenging because we are now at our summertime cabin in the mountains. We're part of a large neighborhood with many, many social events.
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

MaryIM is offline Member
    Now at Day-156 (22 weeks) of my New & Improved Diet for Life!!!

Been celebrating (with food and alcohol) for a few days because I reached my official goal weight -- which is a 47lb weight loss!!! Have strayed, somewhat, from the eating plan -- mostly with the homemade pink cake I made while my daughter & granddaughter were visiting us at our cabin in the mountains of AZ.

Today, is re-group and re-focus and get back on plan. I still want to lose about another 15lbs. THEN MAINTAIN THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had my picture taken with my granddaughter and daughter and see what people are talking about -- because I look very different. Willl upload the photo to the site.

MaryIM is offline Member
    DSCN4820.jpgPhil-Mal-Cigi-Me-June.jpg

First photo is Three generations: my daughter and granddaughter (at her Pre-K graduation). This was taken the 2nd week of May.

Second photo is My husband, granddaughter, daughter's dog. This was taken the 2nd week of June ... I continue to lose weight

I actually enjoy having my picture taken now!
    Last edited by MaryIM; 06-21-2013 at 10:27 AM.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Wow! I haven't posted for awhile. Am still on my journey with my New and Improved Nutrition Plan for Life.

Just got back from a 10-day vacation in CA (where I strayed very much from my Primal diet). Happily, the pounds I gained on vacation are falling off quickly -- had 2 days of eating only green veggies and protein shakes, now I'm adding fish back in. Still unpacking from the trip. Will post more after I get settled and back into my "normal" routine. I must admit that I did enjoy all the junk & crap food I ate on vacation. But that is over. Gone. My hubby didn't even nag me about eating junk (because he also was) and he knew that I would get back on plan.

I did have a great experience -- COMPLIMENT -- two days ago. I was getting fitted for new eyeglasses at Costco. Just happened to have the same technician work with me that I saw 2 years ago. We're both 50-something. At the end of the appt, she had a question for me ... "do you exercise alot because you look really healthy?" I thought that was an awesome thing to say. She stares at people's faces all day long and she obviously saw something different in my coloring & lack of puffiness. She looks fit also and mentioned how important it is to take care of ourselves as we get older. She made my day!

MaryIM is offline Member
    Been backsliding for awhile ... every since our 10-day CA vacation. I Just got off-track over there with drinking and eating non-Paleo foods. Went to see my Nutritionist this week and he stressed the importance of my abstaining from alcohol. Once I start drinking then I want the simple carb-sugary foods. I do better when I have NO alcohol! So I'm going on a 30-day no alcohol "binge". This is only day #2.

My straying from plan has caused my weight to climb this past month; I'm about 7lbs higher than my low-point. Plus I can feel the difference in flab with only that relatively small weight-gain.

So I'm re-focusing and re-dedicating myself!!!! Out to dinner last night with friends, who were shocked when I passed up on the wine. Have another social-event dinner tonight and yet another tomorrow. There are many, many eating & drinking challenges are our summertime cabin in the mountains -- so much socializing revolves around eating and drinking.

Am going back to my healthy habits -- daily logging my food, water, and exercise. Had a protein shake for breakfast and now it's time for a 3-mile walk.

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mary, have just stumbled on your journal and I have to say how inspired I am from reading your chartered success. I have been paleo for just 3 weeks now and your journal has given me great encouragement to stay strong. You look fantastic in both pictures Mary but you look at least 10 years younger in the second photo. In fact I thought it was a pic of your daughter. Congratulations on your awesome success. Keep it up you know you are doing such a great thing for yourself and others!

MaryIM is offline Member
    I'm back to MDA ... YIKES, it's been ages since I've posted.

In 2013 I lost 47 lbs and made great gains in fitness. Towards the end of 2013 and through the holidays I gained back 20 of those lbs.

I could dwell on the negative (those 20 lbs), but instead choose to dwell on the positives that:

1) I'm 27 lbs lighter than when I started this adventure
    2) I'm still seeing the Nutritionist and trying to improve my diet and maintain my focus to lose more weight
    3) My eating habits are much better than they used to be; my husband and I generally have nutritious foods and I've learned many new recipes and ingredients for cooking over the past year. I continue to use MFP to track my daily eating and exericising. And I use a Google docs spreadsheet to track even more detail with my weight, food, and exercise metrics.
    4) I continue to practice Bikram Yoga on a regular basis -- and have made progress in improving strength and flexibility
    5) Am doing something new this spring, with a group of friends at church. It's the Daniel Plan and I really like it. It was developed by Rick Warren (author of the Purpose Driven Life), David Amen (have read some of his books about improving brain health), Dr Hyman (have read some of his books, like the "UltraWellness ... " and Dr Oz (who hasn't heard of him). Anyhow, there is a website that's full of inspiring stories (danielplan.com) and am going to small group meetings each week.
    6) I'm still a rotten golfer, but am actually better than I was last year
    7) I turned 60 last month and am still alive and kicking and setting goals and moving forward
    8) I'm filled with gratitude for my wonderful husband of 29 years, my two adult children, and one perfectly delightful wonderfully magnificent granddaughter

I still struggle with alcohol. I've been told by two doctors that my best approach should be total abstinence (which is very difficult for me) and I still struggle with over-eating (which is my version of binging) while watching TV in the evenings.

MaryIM is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I received some good, common sense advice on the topic of binges with trigger foods. This was from my Nutritionist.

Basic point is not to have the trigger foods in your home. This is because at some point you WILL succumb to eating them, which is a bad decision. Don't put yourself in the position of trying to be "strong" and ignore the trigger foods. Instead -- change your decision point -- decide at the store NOT to buy the trigger foods. You are being strong, making the decision outside of your home. Don't put yourself in the vulnerable situation of having the trigger foods in your home.

The idea is to change the focus of your decision -- to a position of strength. Sounds simple. Now let's see how I do with following-through on this advice!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234