Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Primal Journal -- Grokini Mary page 2

MaryIM is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Still on track and doing well. Noticed this week that I am sweating more than usual in Bikram Yoga -- which I want to believe is a good thing ... my body is getting better at removing toxins.

I think I got a little crazy on the back bends today, middle back is sore. Either the back bends (as in upward cobra) or the spine twist at the end of class.

Spending alot of time in the kitchen preparing veggies and making salad dressing from scratch. Ready to pop some kale chips into the oven for a snack while we watch TV.
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

MaryIM is offline Member
    On Day-12 of my eating plan. As the Nutritionist calls it "aggressive nutritional therapy". Going strong.

Have a private yoga lesson late this afternoon and am looking for it with eagerness and also some nervousness. Never had a private yoga lesson before (a BDay gift from hubby).

Today we were talking about how well we're doing with our new eating plan --> not hungry, getting a good variety of nutritious foods, starting to see some results. I told him my worries about future social events. Those are generally my downfalls; parties where food and alcohol are the focal point. For instance, we are invited to a Super Bowl party next Sunday. I came up with the idea of telling everyone that I've given up alcohol, for now. Just decided to make a change and will see where it takes me. We bought a portable mini blender today for my trip in 2 weeks with the "girls" ... I plan on having protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and enjoying dinner. They are big drinkers, but they all know I'm seeing the Nutritionist and am not drinking. They were surprised that I could give-up alcohol. Guess that means I drink too much! Make that USED to drink too much. So far, I'm fine without the alcohol. In the first week of my new diet, I found myself in 3 social occasions where wine was served & the only time it bothered me was when we were sitting around a dinner table and I could smell the wine the others were drinking. So I need to keep my distance. The other thing that's not bothering me is going without the coffee (which was a surprise). I didn't even have any caffeine withdrawal. That's probably because I loaded my S'Bux card with $50 just after Christmas, and so most of the $$ is sitting on the card. Guess I'll be treating my daughter to frappacinos.
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

MaryIM is offline Member
    Day-19 and doing well. Staying with the eating program 100% and exercising 6X each week. Am keeping a daily log, which is helpful to see my progress and also what foods we are eating. Looking forward to Wednesdy and another BIA (bio-impedence analysis). Trying not to be too focused on the scale, it's moving downward, but not every day. Total weight loss so far is 12 lbs.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Day-20 on my "aggressive nutritional therapy" eating plan.

Survived a Super Bowl party yesterday that was PURE TORTURE. I stayed on my eating plan while surrounded by about 20 people who were drinking and eating for 5 hours. The food was plentiful and the wine was flowing. I found a safe spot on the sofa, near the TV, and actually watched the game -- with the men. The other women were in the kitchen, surrounded by the food, and having a great time talking. I took a veggie platter to the party, which was my source of food during the party. So I showed EXTREME willpower yesterday, but it's an experience I don't want to repeat. As I wrote, it was TORTURE.

The scale went down a bit this morning ... how many people can say they lost weight on Super Bowl Sunday???!!! I may be the only one in the USA who did. It helped taking a Bikram Yoga class in the morning.

Been on this eating plan for 20 days and have lost 13 lbs. Great start. I use MFP and it's so helpful to track my progress, daily.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Day-26 of my "aggressive nutritional therapy" AKA my new nutritional paradigm for LIFE!

Going strong. Weight loss is now 15lbs. Never had such quick weight loss in so short an amount of time! And I know that the LBs is not the only measurement/indicator of my progress. I wish I could say that I've dropped a pants or a dress size, but that hasn't happened, YET. I do believe that some of my clothing feels a bit looser. AND my Bikram Yoga practice continues to improve -- gaining flexibility. When I resumed practice in December it actually hurt in the forward bends (when trying to get my face on my thighs) and it now longer hurts & I'm able to stretch more fully into the pose. My spine is also gaining flexibility laterally and in backbends. In the final pose of the series (spine twist), I'm now much better able to turn & look over my shoulder while holding onto my knee. And of course, my favorite, signature pose -- camel has also improved. I'm exercising 6 or 7 days per week and I LOVE to exercise!

I like having this diary to chart my progress and my triumphs.

Just went on a 2-day shopping/dining/drinking adventure with my women friends. Of the 8 women on the trip, I'm certain I was the ONLY one who lost weight on the trip!!! That's because I had no alcohol and did not indulge in their unhealthy happy hour. In other words, I stuck to my eating plan 100% ... another victory!

MaryIM is offline Member
    Day-29 & go to see my Nutritionist later this morning. After 28 days on my New Nutritional Paradign AKA "aggressive nutritional therapy" ... have lost 16lbs. Which is amazing. It's become so routine that I expect to see a fractional weight loss every day when I step on the scale. Am thinking about weighing myself every other day, just trust the process.

I did notice feeling a little down and tired the past couple of days. So I checked my diary and found that I've exercised 20 days in a row. So am TAKING A REST DAY TODAY. I think my body needs a break. Am going to the driving range to hit a few golf balls, but that will be it. Decided to sit around and read a book for a change, that plus run errands. I'm not good at sitting for extended periods of time.

One of my friends on MFP has been writing about going LCHF (low carb high fat) and so googled that this morning and checked-out some of the links. The part about purposefully eating high fat (lots of butter, bacon) doesn't seem "natural" to me. It may work for others, but I'm sticking with the plan I'm on because it works, for ME. I'm loving the whole foods approach to eating, eliminating processed foods from my diet (aka bacon). I've eliminated caffeine, sugar, grains, beans, most fruits, starches (like white potatoes, corn) and have unlimited amounts of green veggies, 4 servings of orange veggies, 4 servings of other veggies and some lean protein (tuna, eggs, salmon, chix).

Had my blood drawn yesterday and see my PCP next week to get the results. Am excited about that and expect to see improvement in the various measurements for cholesterol as well as glucose.

Am still doing well, eliminating alcohol (my beloved wine) from my diet. I want to see how long I can go without drinking wine.
    Last edited by MaryIM; 02-13-2013 at 08:02 AM.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Friday, Day-31. MET MY FIRST GOAL TODAY! Scale registered exactly 180.0. That's a 17lb weight loss in one month!!! Yippee for me!!!

It helped having a day of rest on Wednesday (after exercising for 20 days in a row). I did Bikram Yoga yesterday & today. Noticing that the flexibility in my spine is improving on forward bends and the final spine twist. Plus when we do the forward bends I can actually breathe now (without my midsection preventing it).

Am also starting a Lenten discipline. Our church is working through a book about the Lord's Prayer. My goal is to spend at least half an hour with my devotion, meditation, and journaling. Did this today (for the 2nd time) and actually had some insight that came to me during the meditation.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Tuesday, 2/19. That's Day-35 and the end of 5 full weeks on my New Nutrition Plan for Life! Total weight loss is at 19 lbs, the fastest I've ever lost weight. Am staying 99.9% true to the plan. Going strong. Feeling good. Keeping the exercise regimen going. Last night I practically fell asleep on my feet, or within 2 seconds of my head hitting the pillow. Went on a 5.4mi hike with Connie (that was not strenous, but did have a minor hill, and walked through sand in a creek bed); then did 2 hours of yardwork, demolishing a shrub that I've detested since I first saw it a year ago. The demolition was a good upper body workout. It actually felt good to be so tired that I couldn't keep my eyes open. Slept well last nite. Even though my body was a bit tired from yesterday, still took a Bikram class this morning and did fine. Love that yoga!

Am excited for tomorrow 1) see my Nutritionist and he's doing the BIA analysis 2) see my PCP and will get the results from my bloodwork that was done last week, am expecting a noticeable improvement.

MaryIM is offline Member
    Day-38. Got my BEST LAB RESULTS EVER THIS WEEK!!!! The bloodwork was done after 4 weeks on my New Nutrition Plan for Life.

My cholesterol was the LOWEST IT'S EVER BEEN ... 139. I've been keeping a spreadsheet since 2005, charting my lab results. In 09/12 it was 199. In 3/12 was 226. It hit a high back in 2009 of 259. Generally was in the 225 arena.

My LDL particles improved by about 35%. They are still in the high range, but went from 1883 to 1197.

All the metrics (including the BIA analysis) show that this is a FANTASTIC nutrition plan for me!!!

MaryIM is offline Member
    Now I'm preparing for a big challenge ... going on a 6-day Road Trip w/hubby and staying at 3 different places. First two nights with friends and then 2 different hotels. The challenge this week will be to hold to my eating plan. Am pre-measuring protein shake ingredients, getting a snack cooler organized. And most importantly, have told everyone that we're visiting about our New Nutrition Plan ... which for me does not include alcohol. Have gone 37 days without alcohol, caffeine, processed foods, sugar, pasta, rice, white potatoes and want to KEEP GOING STRONG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast