Thread: Fun House Mirror - or just not used to the change page

Colloid is offline Junior Member

Fun House Mirror - or just not used to the change

Does anyone else see their reflection in a store window or walking into work, and think wow that window must be distorted because 'that person' looks a lot thinner than me?

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I do! We have these metallic/reflective elevator doors at work, and while I'm waiting for the next one to arrive I end up thinking, "Huh, I have a shape now!" It's kind of cool. But it also wigs me out a little, because -- I'm by no means SMALL yet, but I'm a lot smallER than I was, and there's a weird sense of vulnerability that comes with it for me. Like, by the time I'm my goal weight, I'm scared I'll feel downright fragile.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    I had an experience from the opposite side of the same coin. A few weeks back, I was going through some shots my aunt took of family a couple of Fourths of July ago. I saw one, and wondered, who's the fat guy in the stupid hat? Wait - holy crap, that's ME!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I've had both!

My mother is really fat. So a few years back I am cleaning the bathroom, focused on my work, and suddenly I startle thinking that I saw my mother... but it was only my reflection in the mirror that I caught in my peripheral vision.

These days, yes, I catch my reflection in a store window and think "holy crap, that's me!" It's good and bad. Good because I am healthier, and bad because ... well, I personally don't like being stared at by men, and it's happening more frequently again, even though I am over 50.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I caught a headless photo of myself and wondered who the hot chick was before it clicked that it was me. I've had a few body image issues since my early 20s, so this was a good thing and did wonders for that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's always a surprise riding my bike past a shiny window. I can see muscles, good posture, and no jiggling fat, and abs sometimes. I am still getting used to it. Used to thinking of myself as chubby.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Misti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colloid View Post
    Does anyone else see their reflection in a store window or walking into work, and think wow that window must be distorted because 'that person' looks a lot thinner than me?
    I am so glad you asked, Colloid. Yep, I get that funhouse mirror effect far too often.

It's a relief to hear that I am not alone in havign some trouble adapting to it emotionally.

I love how I feel, so I wouldn't go back, and I am by no means thin, but I am so much thinner than I was just a few years ago, and it's happened so fast that I have trouble keeping up some days. It's not an entirely positive thing for me, and I am embarrssed and annoyed when people comment on my changing figure. Even more so when they assume that I had "sugical assistance".

But I figure the weight loss will stop eventually, so I ignore it as much as possible and pay attention to how strong I am feeling and relish the fact that I am up to walking 8.2 miles per week and 10 is beginning to look feasible! Not bad for a fat little old lady!
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Colloid is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    I am so glad you asked, Colloid. Yep, I get that funhouse mirror effect far too often.

It's a relief to hear that I am not alone in havign some trouble adapting to it emotionally.

I love how I feel, so I wouldn't go back, and I am by no means thin, but I am so much thinner than I was just a few years ago, and it's happened so fast that I have trouble keeping up some days. It's not an entirely positive thing for me, and I am embarrssed and annoyed when people comment on my changing figure. Even more so when they assume that I had "sugical assistance".

But I figure the weight loss will stop eventually, so I ignore it as much as possible and pay attention to how strong I am feeling and relish the fact that I am up to walking 8.2 miles per week and 10 is beginning to look feasible! Not bad for a fat little old lady!

Misti,

Keep focusing on how you are feeling. People don't really know what to say, and generally say the wrong thing. I am so happy that my joint pain is finally gone, and I can go for a walk without it hurting for the next several hours. Keep on walking, your goal sounds fabulous!
    Male, 5'11", 49
    MaxW 246+ 2004
    SW 212 CW 200 GW don't really care
    Goal 12+ pullups per set, current 10