Thread: Fun House Mirror - or just not used to the change page

Colloid is offline Junior Member

Fun House Mirror - or just not used to the change

Shop Now
    Does anyone else see their reflection in a store window or walking into work, and think wow that window must be distorted because 'that person' looks a lot thinner than me?

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I do! We have these metallic/reflective elevator doors at work, and while I'm waiting for the next one to arrive I end up thinking, "Huh, I have a shape now!" It's kind of cool. But it also wigs me out a little, because -- I'm by no means SMALL yet, but I'm a lot smallER than I was, and there's a weird sense of vulnerability that comes with it for me. Like, by the time I'm my goal weight, I'm scared I'll feel downright fragile.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    I had an experience from the opposite side of the same coin. A few weeks back, I was going through some shots my aunt took of family a couple of Fourths of July ago. I saw one, and wondered, who's the fat guy in the stupid hat? Wait - holy crap, that's ME!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I've had both!

My mother is really fat. So a few years back I am cleaning the bathroom, focused on my work, and suddenly I startle thinking that I saw my mother... but it was only my reflection in the mirror that I caught in my peripheral vision.

These days, yes, I catch my reflection in a store window and think "holy crap, that's me!" It's good and bad. Good because I am healthier, and bad because ... well, I personally don't like being stared at by men, and it's happening more frequently again, even though I am over 50.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I caught a headless photo of myself and wondered who the hot chick was before it clicked that it was me. I've had a few body image issues since my early 20s, so this was a good thing and did wonders for that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's always a surprise riding my bike past a shiny window. I can see muscles, good posture, and no jiggling fat, and abs sometimes. I am still getting used to it. Used to thinking of myself as chubby.
    The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
    At the expense of the American dream, American dream
    Of the American

We don`t give a damn about your world
    With all your global profits
    And all your jeweled pearls
    We don`t give a damn about your world
    Right now, right now!

Misti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colloid View Post
    Does anyone else see their reflection in a store window or walking into work, and think wow that window must be distorted because 'that person' looks a lot thinner than me?
    I am so glad you asked, Colloid. Yep, I get that funhouse mirror effect far too often.

It's a relief to hear that I am not alone in havign some trouble adapting to it emotionally.

I love how I feel, so I wouldn't go back, and I am by no means thin, but I am so much thinner than I was just a few years ago, and it's happened so fast that I have trouble keeping up some days. It's not an entirely positive thing for me, and I am embarrssed and annoyed when people comment on my changing figure. Even more so when they assume that I had "sugical assistance".

But I figure the weight loss will stop eventually, so I ignore it as much as possible and pay attention to how strong I am feeling and relish the fact that I am up to walking 8.2 miles per week and 10 is beginning to look feasible! Not bad for a fat little old lady!
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Colloid is offline Junior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    I am so glad you asked, Colloid. Yep, I get that funhouse mirror effect far too often.

It's a relief to hear that I am not alone in havign some trouble adapting to it emotionally.

I love how I feel, so I wouldn't go back, and I am by no means thin, but I am so much thinner than I was just a few years ago, and it's happened so fast that I have trouble keeping up some days. It's not an entirely positive thing for me, and I am embarrssed and annoyed when people comment on my changing figure. Even more so when they assume that I had "sugical assistance".

But I figure the weight loss will stop eventually, so I ignore it as much as possible and pay attention to how strong I am feeling and relish the fact that I am up to walking 8.2 miles per week and 10 is beginning to look feasible! Not bad for a fat little old lady!

Misti,

Keep focusing on how you are feeling. People don't really know what to say, and generally say the wrong thing. I am so happy that my joint pain is finally gone, and I can go for a walk without it hurting for the next several hours. Keep on walking, your goal sounds fabulous!
    Male, 5'11", 49
    MaxW 246+ 2004
    SW 212 CW 200 GW don't really care
    Goal 12+ pullups per set, current 10