Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weakness - What to do? page 2

Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    Just seconding the broth/salt part of this! When you make the switch from processed foods to unprocessed foods, you end up cutting your salt intake dramatically, which is not the good thing CW would have us all believe. So supplementing by salting your foods and adding in the salty broth helps a lot with balancing your electrolytes and staving off the lo-carb flu!
    Hi Merrryish

I get your point of course. As a matter of interest however I'm coming at this from a mostly vegetarian diet. I've also been vegan, and big on the green smoothies... although our food is almost never processed (my wife and I can both cook well) it has always erred on the high-carb-low-fat side.

I can tell you flat out that I do not respond well to vegan or even vegetarian however. Mrs Chorltan thrives on it, but I just feel hungry all the time and my sugar cravings are just insane!

The best I've ever felt was a few years back when I ate a lot of lean meat and did crossfit. I didn't get the paleo thing then though and still ate a lot of bread/rice/musli etc etc. I hope this time round I'll really get some energy once more. Seems a very long time ago I felt like I really had ENERGY!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    unless you have specific reasons not to, double check your total intake. switching to primal/paleo/keto isnt about reducing caloric intake.

most people i have met/talked to simply drop a class of macronutirent and leave the others unchanged and wonder why they are hungry/weak/light headed/ etc

are you certain you are eating enough?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Hi Quelson.

That's a very good point. Im not sure about that at all. I am going to start adding my calories starting tomorrow, at least until I get a handle on this stuff. How many calories should I consume? I'm male, 41 and fairly slim bar a little extra body fat around the waist (but not much). Is the PB recommendation the standard 2500 for the average man?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i can only tell you what I use as a baseline.

the harris benedict equation no multipliers. that is a minimum

then i take that caloric value and apply my own macro ratio to it.

when people ask me that question that is my answer.

English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

so for me that is... 66 + ( 6.23 x 318 ) + ( 12.7 x 71 ) - ( 6.8 x 41 ) = 2670.04 Kcals daily

break that up into my personal macro ratio of 70%f 25%c 5%c and you get. 1869 kcal from fat, 534 Kcal from Protein, and 133 Kcal from carb. do the math to get grams.... 207g fat 133g protein, 33g carbs

your macros may vary.

ps in full disclosure i am not currently following this rule. I am eating far less. however i have been capable of maintaining my weight using this logic.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Well I feel pretty ravenous in the morning because I am also doing 16hr IF
    Dumping carbs, working out, and IF-ing too? If you're still in transition, perhaps you should hold off on the IF-ing until you're sure you're a fat burner. One thing at a time. Let your body heal.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Dumping carbs, working out, and IF-ing too? If you're still in transition, perhaps you should hold off on the IF-ing until you're sure you're a fat burner. One thing at a time. Let your body heal.
    Truth. IF is useful, but is mostly recommended as a something for the last few pounds/%BF. It adds stress to your body, and you want everything in line before you start it.

Okay everyone, here's what Im doing:

• Eating breakfast!
    • Tracking calories!
    • Eating more!
    • Drinking stock cube tea!

So far breakfast added up to just over 600kcal. I'm using the livestrong calorie tracking app on the "maintain current weight" setting as a guide (so it deducts calories spent exercising etc) and will see how this goes

Thanks for all the great advice. I will update this thread when there's something interesting to say...

Thrakk is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing the eat-only-when-hungry type of fasting. I intend to get to a more regular fasting schedule, but I've found this to be a good stepping stone. You sound like a pretty motivated dude, but just be careful you aren't taking on too much at once.

Dropping the carbs can be a big blow for the system. I had about 3-4 days where I actually felt clinically depressed. The world-is-against-me thoughts were going through my head the whole time; I've never had that before so I felt pretty horrible indeed. It passed though, and I attributed it to carb flu. I couldn't imagine trying to do the fasting while going through that. If you find that it is a bit too much for you, my non-expert, purely anecdotal experience would suggest you put the fasting on hold until you get all the other changes you're making in good working order.

Permanent lifestyle changes towards the better ftw. Not sudden dramatic changes that wreck you.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Whoa, Chorlton. I didn't realize you were male. Definitely back to my original statement that you need to eat more food. I'm a 120-lb female and that menu looks sparse to me. I hope that helps. Please keep us updated!

Also, I agree with the sentiment that you might want to wait a while before you start fasting. I didn't even try to fast until I had been eating pretty strictly primal (including plenty of fat) for 4-5 months.
    Last edited by Danielle5690; 09-20-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: thought of something else

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Thrakk. I've dropped the fasting for the time being!

Daniel I weighed myself for the first time in years today: 65.2kg (144lb) before breakfast.

Im working on this, but im struggling to find food sources with enough calories (that I feel i can eat..) for e.g.. i had 4 fresh sardines for lunch with salad and it still only came to 550kcal or so. Im just not used to large portions...

Maybe i should start a new thread on tips for getting enough calories

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast