Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relatively new and looking for advice, tips, and suggestions! page

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member

Relatively new and looking for advice, tips, and suggestions!

Shop Now
    I changed my eating Monday, Sept 10th. My first couple of days were hard and I kept binging. After getting some advice I got things mostly under control by Wednesday. I wanted to get some advice on how my food looks to everyone though. This is what I've had the last 5 days. I know there is room for improvement. I could probably get more vegetables in. And yes I know that plantains are a starchy food. But overall, how does this look? I am trying to stay in compliance and I would say reasonably within the 80/20 rule.

As of yesterday, my first week weigh in showed a 7.6 lb loss. I am walking everyday and yoga a couple of times a week right now.

I am eating store bought, grain fed meat right now because we don't have a lot of money. I figure every step is a step in the right direction. I have sought out local farmers and discovered a couple of places to get beef, lamb, chickens, turkey, and pork all grass fed and free ranged. But they sell the larger animals by the half and whole so we have to save up to purchase. Therefore at this current time we are starting a savings to put back some money each week and hopefully within the next couple of months we'll have our freezer stocked with the good stuff! I already eat local yard eggs and buy other organic supplies and such from my local health food store. I live in an area that does NOT have a whole foods or trader joes or any other place like that so my options are limited. But I am doing what I can!

Friday
    Breakfast: BP coffee (2 cups coffee, 2 tbsp butter, 1-2 tbsp coconut oil)
    Lunch: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 3 bacon strips, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 plantain fried in butter
    Dinner: Hamburger patty wrapped in lettuce, tomato, pickle, mayo & mustard, homemade gaucamole (avocado, red onion, diced tomato, lime juice, diced jalepeno, garlic powder, salt)

Saturday
    Lunch: 2 small grilled chicken breasts, salad (iceberg lettuce, tomato, pickles), 2 sunnyside eggs
    Snack: Handful fried pork skins
    Dinner: Crockpot chicken (oil rubbed whole chicken, sliced onion, chopped carrot, chopped celery, quartered lemon), 1/2 cup "riced" cauliflower, salad (romaine, cucumber, tomato, shredded cheese, homemade ranch)

Sunday
    Lunch: Hamburger patty wrapped with lettuce, sliced tomato, pickle, and mustard, 2 jalepeno halves stuffed with sausage and cheese and wrapped with bacon
    Dinner: Roasted pork loin with garlic and peppers, salad (romaine, red bellpepper, cucumber, tomato, sunflower seeds, homemade ranch dressing), mashed rutabega with butter and coconut milk

Monday
    Lunch: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2 pork sausage patties, plantain fried in butter
    Snack: BP coffee (2 cups coffee, 1 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup coconut milk)
    Dinner: 3 chicken tenders battered with coconut flour and unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup yellow squash sauteed in coconut oil with onion, 4-5 spears roasted asparagus

Tuesday
    unch: Canned salmon, green onion, parsley, and egg pattied and fried in coconut oil, 1 whole raw carrot stick
    Snack: Homemade BP "ice cream" (This was just an experiment. NOT WORTH IT, BY THE WAY!)
    Dinner: Ground beef browed with onion and "riced" cauliflower and various seasonings, stuffed into halved green bellpeppers and topped with cheddar cheese. I had 2 halves or 1 whole stuffed bellpepper
    Last edited by divadevilsmom; 09-19-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    You said it yourself. More vegetables. That's where the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are. Mark says to eat unlimited produce if I remember right. I eat about 1.5 to 2 lbs of non-starchy vegetables a day. I make sure to eat from leafy, cruciferous and colored each day. They don't add many calories but they do add a lot of nutrition.

Wow, I never thought I'd end up sounding like my Mother.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Looks good to me. And 7.6 pounds down in a week is pretty impressive. Way to go!

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I may get some backlash from this but drop the bulletproof coffee and just drink normal coffee/green tea until you have reached your goals.

The rest looks absolutely fine to me apart from more variety in the veg as Tercio says.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Looks like enough vegetables to me. I'd just keep on keeping on if I were you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Howard44 is offline Junior Member
    I think you're doing great. When I first went 80/20 I suffered (or rather, let myself suffer!) from a lot of bingeing.Now I eat a lot of animal fats I never need to binge and I'm managing to stay lean. I agree that you probably need a lot more veggies, but by staying off the processed stuff, sugary rubbish and carbs you're doing really well. Now, get some heavy things lifted, throw a sprinting session in there and the fat will melt off you and be replaced by lean muscle, good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to say that while I believe I should be consuming MORE vegetables, I wouldn't think variety would be an issue. In 5 days I have had: cauliflower, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, rutabega, asparagus, yellow squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, green red and white onions, carrots, celery, and of course lettuce. I only went back 5 days in this example but the two days prior to those I had broccoli, cabbage, and kale as well. May it be noted that in the next two days I have a new head of cabbage and a spaghetti squash in the plans too!

I will try to consume more though. I just get full easily. And I find more pleasure in eating the meaty portions of my food! HAHA! AdamC29, may I ask why you think I should drop the BP coffee? In another post of mine someone suggested it to help curb binging because it caused satiety. Which it has done wonders for!

Anyway, thanks again!
    Last edited by divadevilsmom; 09-19-2012 at 08:28 AM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I may get some backlash from this but drop the bulletproof coffee and just drink normal coffee/green tea until you have reached your goals.
    yup. if you want to skip breakfast, skip it. otherwise, eat food. melted fat in coffee is not food, it's a high calorie beverage.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    ... may I ask why you think I should drop the BP coffee? In another post of mine someone suggested it to help curb binging because it caused satiety. Which it has done wonders for!
    Maybe he doesn't want you to feel satiety. Does it matter? The PB doesn't say you have to drink it, neither does it say you shouldn't.

I like cream in my coffee, but if you like it like that and it's working for you, as you say it is, why ever would you change just because of what someone announces on an internet board?

I didn't say I was changing what I was doing. I wrote a post and asked for advice and tips from others.....others who have already been where I am and have experience and can share their own opinions. That doesn't mean I am 'set in stone' going to change what I am doing. He said "drop the bulletproof coffee until you reach your goals" but didn't give a reason why that was the way to go in his opinion. So, I am curious as to why that particular route would be 'the way to go' as considered by him.

I thought that was one reason these boards existed...to allow people who need advice, help, encouragement to learn from others. It's all a learning process and yes occasionally I will take advice from someone who has offered. Why belittle my methods of learning and changing things as I see fit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast