Thread: News re: CA's prop to label GMO foods page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

News re: CA's prop to label GMO foods

Shop Now
    Coke North America donates against Prop. 37
    Atlanta Business Chronicle by Jacques Couret, Senior Online Editor
    Date: Monday, September 17, 2012, 2:59pm EDT

Atlanta-based Coca-Cola North America donated $1.2 million to fight California's Proposition 37.

A unit of a Fortune 500 based in Atlanta appears on a list of top donors to a campaign against a proposed California law that would require labeling of genetically engineered foods.

Atlanta-based Coca-Cola North America is No. 8 on the list and donated $1.2 million to fight Proposition 37, according to California Right to Know, which supports the proposition.

The top donors against the proposed law:

1.Monsanto Co. -- $7.1 million
    2.E.I. DuPont De Nemours & Co. -- $4.9 million
    3.BASF Plant Science -- $2 million
    4.Bayer Cropscience -- $2 million
    5.Dow Agrosciences LLC -- $2 million
    6.PepsiCo Inc. -- $1.7 million
    7.Nestle USA Inc. -- $1.2 million
    8.Coca-Cola North America -- $1.2 million
    9.Conagra Foods -- $1.1 million
    10.Syngenta Corp. -- $1 million
    Source: Coke North America donates against Prop. 37 - Atlanta Business Chronicle

If GMOs are okay, why hide them? Same old shit, just like the whole BGH thing. Pink slime.

Just as a note, while Monsanto is obviously the big bully here, from Conagra's recent press release:

About ConAgra Foods
    ConAgra Foods, Inc., (NYSE: CAG), is one of North America's leading food companies, with brands in 97 percent of American households. ConAgra Foods provides some of America's long-time favorites. Consumers can find Chef Boyardee, Egg Beaters, Hebrew National, Hunt's Tomato Sauces and Ketchup, Marie Callender's, Orville Redenbacher's, PAM, Reddi-wip, Slim Jim Meat Sticks and Beef Jerky and many other ConAgra Foods brands in grocery, convenience, mass merchandise and club stores. ConAgra Foods operates ReadySetEat.com, an interactive recipe website that provides consumers with Easy Dinner Recipes and more. ConAgra Foods also has a strong business-to-business presence, supplying frozen potato and sweet potato products as well as other vegetable, spice and grain products to a variety of well-known restaurants, foodservice operators and commercial customers. For more information, please visit us at conagrafoods.com.
    Bolding is mine. Source is here: ConAgra Foods, Inc. : Investors : News Article

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Monsanto is the devil.

I know this doesn't add to a discussion, but I just had to say that!

Isn't it interesting, the more fake your food (can you find a cola drink in nature?) the more GMOs are needed to create the fake food? I think mainly it's the HFCS, which is funny, since Pepsi extended it's run of "real sugar" soda do to high demand for it.

We must all speak with our $$$.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    terrible. Nutiva is a big doner for the prop and they are heavily promoting it and trying to make people aware of whats going on. Horizon organic opposes the prop if im not mistaken
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I am sometimes amazed at how difficult it is to find unadulterated food anymore. I will definitely be voting FOR this measure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

I am sometimes amazed at how difficult it is to find unadulterated food anymore. I will definitely be voting FOR this measure.
    Actually the whole thing pisses me off no end. The kicker was when I found out that unless you buy fairly expensive, there is soy in canned tuna. In f***ing tuna. I probably ranted about that to friends for a week. Funny though, a couple of them called me and said, "You know, I looked on my tuna label....." At least my rantings made a couple of people aware.

It's good when CA does these things. About 10-12% of the entire U.S. population lives there, so when CA starts the ball rolling, often other states follow.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Actually the whole thing pisses me off no end. The kicker was when I found out that unless you buy fairly expensive, there is soy in canned tuna. In f***ing tuna. I probably ranted about that to friends for a week. Funny though, a couple of them called me and said, "You know, I looked on my tuna label....." At least my rantings made a couple of people aware.

It's good when CA does these things. About 10-12% of the entire U.S. population lives there, so when CA starts the ball rolling, often other states follow.
    I know I was disappointed to find this out as well. They make the vegetable broth with mostly soy beans as it cheap. Why cant they just pack it in spring water...geez
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

And the thing is, if you have to pay $3.00/can to get it both no soy and in a BPA-free can, you're paying ~$9.60 per pound. Might as well buy fresh fish. Though I did love the convenience of protein in a can.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Our county was the first to ban the growing of GMOs; I can't remember if any other counties were able to pass a similar ban. I suppose the fact that we don't have large scale agriculture made it easier. I'm sure we are a thorn in Monsanto's side.