Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No going back now - Clothes Purge! page

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member

No going back now - Clothes Purge!

I think it's common for most people not to utilise every item in their wardrobe, and I think that becomes especially true after you've lost weight. My weight has been steady now for the past 4 months or so, and I'm happy where I am.

So..finally decided to purge that wardrobe, I wasn't wearing 60% of what was in there. Out went the shapeless, concealing work clothes, the baggy house clothes and even the stuff that used to fit, but now looks terrible because of the weight loss. Its a little bit scary, but it's all motivation to stop me filling my gut with pasta (like I need more, but you know).

Anyone else had a purge after their weight loss? How long did you wait before you did it?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have to confess, I was terrified to purge my closet after my 50 lb weight loss. I honestly couldn't wear the clothes anymore, but my weight loss was very easy on primal and I sort of felt that purging the closet was going to jinx me in to gaining it all back! My clothes weren't even nice, but I put them all in a vaccuum bag, shrunk them down and stored them in the garage.

Congrats of the weight loss!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

lissee is offline Senior Member
    I did this two weeks ago. I went and put together all my size 18s and threw them out. It made me feel a little bit anxious. But I'm almost a 14 now, so I told myself, no way was I going back! Ditch them!

Congrats to you and Jammies on the weightloss!

Paleobird Guest
    I have suggested a couple of times that we start up a Primal recycling network so the person ingrowing the 14s could send them on to the person ingrowing the 16s and so on down the line. All it would take would be a database and then, for the cost of postage, everybody could get new clothes.

I went through sizes so quickly on the way down that I ended up donating stuff that still had the tags in it, never even worn. Now I wish I had kept at least one pair of 16s just to do one of those "after" shots of size 6 person in size 16 pants. But, at the time I just wanted then out of my closet. I knew that if i kept them around, i was "giving myself permission" to backslide.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to be a part of a clothes recycling network - it was awful to see all those clothes piled up - but I think the postage to Australia would be a bit $$! This weekend we are taking them to a swap meet/car boot sale, and everything we don't sell is going to the charity shop.

It was definetely a bit tempting to keep some things 'just in case', but I was strong!

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    I was just having this conversation with my neighbor on a walk today. I get most of my clothes second hand and am happy to recycle the bigger ones back to the thrift store. I love when I pull something out of my closet that I used to wear and it is too big, too baggy, or too frumpy for the new me. Into the recycling bag with it! I'm not quite at my goal size yet, so this is an ongoing thing. I hope to have fewer but nicer clothes going forward.

I don't know about your neighborhood thrift store, but ours has lots of designer clothes, especially in the smaller sizes. I'm glad I picked up some once too small outfits this last year. They look great on me now! And the money goes to a great cause.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

adameads is offline Senior Member
    A male checking in....

I've also done the clothes purge. We moved recently, and actually went down in closet size, so some of it was necessary anyway. But, anything that had an XL on it or a 38 or above, got the boot! I took a lot to a local consignment shop that accepts men's clothes, and have made over $200! I got a new pair of 34" bootcut 7 For all Mankind jeans. I just tried them on and they fit without sucking in my belly. Needless to say, that was a good thing. They're still a little tight on my derrier, but I could get away wearing them out. A few more pounds ---> watch out ladies, don't get caught staring.

:-)

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I was stuffing myself into size 16 pants when I started and am now comfortably in a 10. Fortunately, I had some old 14s stashed to fill in on the way down. But I've gotten rid of everything (Good Will) as soon as it was big enough that I looked silly in it. I'm not going back!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Misti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Anyone else had a purge after their weight loss? How long did you wait before you did it?
    Me!

I just finally gave in and donated my size 28s a few months ago, along with the size 18s I could no longer wear. It was traumatic, because I had been stable at size 28 long enough to actually invest in some really nice stuff that I bought *new*! (I never buy new.) .

I had to finally admit that I was never going to wear it again, and I was unlikely to get it taken in at this point Becuase taking it in from size 28 to size 14/16 would probably cost more than just buying some nice stuff in my new size. Besides, someone is going to be very excitied to find actualy nice stuff in a size that's hard to find in thrift shops. And there is a lot more to choose from in smaller sizes...
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I may not count, since I do a closet purge on a seasonal basis. The day I got back down to a 2, all the legitimate 4s (I have a couple articles from brands that never vanity sized) and 6s went away. All the size small stuff that was now rather shapeless on me went away. I was determined not to have any excuse to gain weight in the form of clothes that'd let me.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast