Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Mineral Problems? Help! page

  1. #1
    cyro_349's Avatar
    cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    29

    Mineral Problems? Help!

    Primal Fuel
    Hey people,

    I was wondering if you could help. I'm pretty sure I have some form of mineral deficiency... So, originally I was doing a VLC diet (ketosis) and was having dehydration problems, I managed to offset the majority of the problems but upping my salt intake (Himalayan pink salt) and supplementing potassium & magnesium. Then I found this site and started looking in to a Primal lifestyle (which seems to fit me much better), and now my carb intake is much higher (though probably still a bit shy of 100g) but I still seem to be having problems.

    I'll get cramps every now and then, or pain in my calves (sometimes at night - I also seem to be waking up a few times throughout the night, the worst time was about 12 times in a 10 hour period, but is currently averaging about 5 times). But the main problem is craving chocolate and almonds... from what I can find this is generally related to magnesium problems, but from my diet I should be getting adequate amounts, plus I'm supplementing 200mg at the moment to no avail (still waking up slightly dehydrated - dried out lips slightly peeling, and sometimes difficulty swallowing early in the morning).

    My general diet is:
    Breakfast:
    3 egg omlette (with turmeric & salt, fried in coconut oil), (pastured chicken eggs)
    2 beef patties (organic, grass fed beef)
    40g lindt 85% chocolate

    Lunch:
    250g mixed lettuce / spinach
    150g cold chicken pieces (grilled a few days prior, includes breast, thigh & wing meat)
    1-2 tbsp EVOO

    Dinner:
    250g spinnach
    400g mixed broccoli, carrot & cauliflower
    1 tbsp EVOO
    200g porterhouse steak (again organic grass fed beef)
    1 glass or red wine

    Other then that, I drink water (around 1.5 litres per day, with a pinch of salt in every 600g). I also supplement with fish oil, some vitamin D (to top up my levels if it was a low-sun day), potassium, magnesium & probiotics (recently stopped taking a low dose anti-biotic, so the probiotics are to try and undo the damage).

    I generally eat pretty similar food on a daily basis (don't get bored), but I sometimes find myself craving chocolate around lunch time and sometimes when I get home I have a small handful of almonds, and keep going back (I end up eating up to a few ounces while waiting for my vegetables to cook), if not the almonds, then I might want some chocolate.

    Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know. I'd really like to figure out what is going on.

  2. #2
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    Hey people,

    I was wondering if you could help. I'm pretty sure I have some form of mineral deficiency... So, originally I was doing a VLC diet (ketosis) and was having dehydration problems, I managed to offset the majority of the problems but upping my salt intake (Himalayan pink salt) and supplementing potassium & magnesium. Then I found this site and started looking in to a Primal lifestyle (which seems to fit me much better), and now my carb intake is much higher (though probably still a bit shy of 100g) but I still seem to be having problems.

    I'll get cramps every now and then, or pain in my calves (sometimes at night - I also seem to be waking up a few times throughout the night, the worst time was about 12 times in a 10 hour period, but is currently averaging about 5 times). But the main problem is craving chocolate and almonds... from what I can find this is generally related to magnesium problems, but from my diet I should be getting adequate amounts, plus I'm supplementing 200mg at the moment to no avail (still waking up slightly dehydrated - dried out lips slightly peeling, and sometimes difficulty swallowing early in the morning).

    My general diet is:
    Breakfast:
    3 egg omlette (with turmeric & salt, fried in coconut oil), (pastured chicken eggs)
    2 beef patties (organic, grass fed beef)
    40g lindt 85% chocolate

    Lunch:
    250g mixed lettuce / spinach
    150g cold chicken pieces (grilled a few days prior, includes breast, thigh & wing meat)
    1-2 tbsp EVOO

    Dinner:
    250g spinnach
    400g mixed broccoli, carrot & cauliflower
    1 tbsp EVOO
    200g porterhouse steak (again organic grass fed beef)
    1 glass or red wine

    Other then that, I drink water (around 1.5 litres per day, with a pinch of salt in every 600g). I also supplement with fish oil, some vitamin D (to top up my levels if it was a low-sun day), potassium, magnesium & probiotics (recently stopped taking a low dose anti-biotic, so the probiotics are to try and undo the damage).

    I generally eat pretty similar food on a daily basis (don't get bored), but I sometimes find myself craving chocolate around lunch time and sometimes when I get home I have a small handful of almonds, and keep going back (I end up eating up to a few ounces while waiting for my vegetables to cook), if not the almonds, then I might want some chocolate.

    Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know. I'd really like to figure out what is going on.
    Cramps are most often from magnesium deficiencies and rarely potassium deficiency.

    Magnesium works by antagonizing calcium, which causes muscles to contract. But calcium associated cramping is not always due to a deficiency of balancing magnesium. High serum calcium, which can occur from problems such as excess vitamin D, hyperparathyroidism, etc. as well. Therefore, it would be wise to get a full blood workup just to make sure there is not a contributing factor.

    If supplementing with magnesium I recommend using an acidified form of magnesium such as magnesium malate, or magnesium citrate (my second choice). The acidified forms of magnesium are absorbed much better than other forms and provide an additional benefit by further increasing cellular ATP levels.

  3. #3
    cyro_349's Avatar
    cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for the reply.

    The magnesium supplement I'm taking is Mega Magnesium | Ethical Nutrients (should I consider replacing this with a magnesium malate or citrate supplement?). From what I can tell, my calcium intake is actually a little low (around 850mg), but I'm only supplementing 3,000 IU of Vitamin D, could that really be a problem?

    I had blood work down a little over a week ago and my doctor didn't notice anything strange.

  4. #4
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    The magnesium supplement I'm taking is Mega Magnesium | Ethical Nutrients (should I consider replacing this with a magnesium malate or citrate supplement?).
    I would. Chelates are absorbed as well, but the acidified forms are still more effective in raising ATP since both malic and citric acids are part of the ATP cycle.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    From what I can tell, my calcium intake is actually a little low (around 850mg), but I'm only supplementing 3,000 IU of Vitamin D, could that really be a problem?

    I had blood work down a little over a week ago and my doctor didn't notice anything strange.
    The 1200mg recommended daily calcium intake is based on the poorly absorbed calcium carbonate. If using an acidified form of calcium the amount required is not as high.

    But serum calcium can increase for other reasons other than simply taking calcium supplements or vitamin D.

  5. #5
    Sabine's Avatar
    Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    5,190
    If you are waking up that dehydrated (dry lips, difficulty swallowing) while drinking 1.5 liters daily, I would up your water! Go up two glasses every day, until you find a level that leaves you waking in a normal state. 1.5 liters seems very low, even not knowing your height/weight/sex/activity level. Dehydration might also explain your cramps.

    Cheap, easy to try.

    You might consider lemon juice in your water, in addition to the salt, also.

  6. #6
    cyro_349's Avatar
    cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    29
    If you are waking up that dehydrated (dry lips, difficulty swallowing) while drinking 1.5 liters daily, I would up your water! Go up two glasses every day, until you find a level that leaves you waking in a normal state. 1.5 liters seems very low, even not knowing your height/weight/sex/activity level. Dehydration might also explain your cramps.
    I tried upping the water for a while, it actually made me more dehydrated (though I was in ketosis at the time), due to the low carb, I was l losing most of my minerals along with my water (it was going straight through me) - now I'm drinking either when I'm thirsty, or just every now and then.

    I'm 22, about 70kg (155 lbs) and 5ft 11in - (doing Primal for the lifestyle, not weight loss - was doing ketosis for the same reason, until I realized I could get the same benefits from Primal will less detrimental effects). I walk to and from work (20min, 1.8km), a couple of times a week I'm doing a "boot camp" workout session, which is an accumulated 30min (over 1 hour) of varied exercises (push ups, sit ups, squats, short runs, boxing). At the moment that's pretty much it, other then inconsistent additional walking and the odd game of football.

    The 1200mg recommended daily calcium intake is based on the poorly absorbed calcium carbonate. If using an acidified form of calcium the amount required is not as high.
    I'm not actually supplementing my calcium, mainly due to this: Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women and Vascular events in healthy older women receiving calcium... [BMJ. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI (Though, at the time I didn't realize the study was done solely on women). My 800mg intake of calcium is from dietary sources - should I still consider supplementing my calcium?

    You might consider lemon juice in your water, in addition to the salt, also.
    Just a question, why add lemon juice? Considering the minimal amounts I would be adding, I don't really see the nutritional benefits (unless I'm reading something wrong).

  7. #7
    cyro_349's Avatar
    cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    Just a question, why add lemon juice? Considering the minimal amounts I would be adding, I don't really see the nutritional benefits (unless I'm reading something wrong).
    Never mind, some quick googling answered my question, will start adding lemon juice to see the effects.

  8. #8
    kiwilauren's Avatar
    kiwilauren is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    Hey people,

    I was wondering if you could help. I'm pretty sure I have some form of mineral deficiency... So, originally I was doing a VLC diet (ketosis) and was having dehydration problems, I managed to offset the majority of the problems but upping my salt intake (Himalayan pink salt) and supplementing potassium & magnesium. Then I found this site and started looking in to a Primal lifestyle (which seems to fit me much better), and now my carb intake is much higher (though probably still a bit shy of 100g) but I still seem to be having problems.

    I'll get cramps every now and then, or pain in my calves (sometimes at night - I also seem to be waking up a few times throughout the night, the worst time was about 12 times in a 10 hour period, but is currently averaging about 5 times). But the main problem is craving chocolate and almonds... from what I can find this is generally related to magnesium problems, but from my diet I should be getting adequate amounts, plus I'm supplementing 200mg at the moment to no avail (still waking up slightly dehydrated - dried out lips slightly peeling, and sometimes difficulty swallowing early in the morning).

    My general diet is:
    Breakfast:
    3 egg omlette (with turmeric & salt, fried in coconut oil), (pastured chicken eggs)
    2 beef patties (organic, grass fed beef)
    40g lindt 85% chocolate

    Lunch:
    250g mixed lettuce / spinach
    150g cold chicken pieces (grilled a few days prior, includes breast, thigh & wing meat)
    1-2 tbsp EVOO

    Dinner:
    250g spinnach
    400g mixed broccoli, carrot & cauliflower
    1 tbsp EVOO
    200g porterhouse steak (again organic grass fed beef)
    1 glass or red wine

    Other then that, I drink water (around 1.5 litres per day, with a pinch of salt in every 600g). I also supplement with fish oil, some vitamin D (to top up my levels if it was a low-sun day), potassium, magnesium & probiotics (recently stopped taking a low dose anti-biotic, so the probiotics are to try and undo the damage).

    I generally eat pretty similar food on a daily basis (don't get bored), but I sometimes find myself craving chocolate around lunch time and sometimes when I get home I have a small handful of almonds, and keep going back (I end up eating up to a few ounces while waiting for my vegetables to cook), if not the almonds, then I might want some chocolate.

    Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know. I'd really like to figure out what is going on.
    I'd say you are both magnesium deficient and iodine deficient (we need regular food sources of iodine in our diet - you have none). I'd up the Mg as others have said and go for Mag Malate or, even better, Mag Threonate from LEF. Take it until bowel tolerance. That can be 2000mg every night or more. If your Vitamin D isn't at the top of the range, up your supplementation, esp now that cooler weather and shorter days are coming. You probably have to deal with your gut, too, as ABs can affect it for years - lots of pre-and pro-biotics, bone broths, DGL, colostrum, etc. You may want to get your thryoid panel done, too - i'm guessing your T3 is low which can drive the carb cravings (the iodine rich foods will help that). Good luck!

    Good luck.

  9. #9
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    I use to get the same things (cramps in calves primarily at night). I was not supplementing anything at the time and simply started supplementing magnesium at 500mg with my dinner. Haven't had a cramp since. As far a one persons experiment magnesium definitely did the trick for me. I now (since fall/winter is coming) also supplement 5000IU of D a day, but continue with the magnesium. I have also recently started eating more nuts and a wider variety. I will probably ditch the supplement after a while and see if my consumption has repleted me enough.

  10. #10
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    I tried upping the water for a while, it actually made me more dehydrated (though I was in ketosis at the time), due to the low carb, I was l losing most of my minerals along with my water (it was going straight through me) - now I'm drinking either when I'm thirsty, or just every now and then.
    This jumped out at me- when I drink coconut water, which is pretty high in potassium, I have to go to the bathroom a lot. Drinking water, or other beverages (coffee, etc) doesn't affect me this way nearly as much if I cut out the coconut water. Now I only drink it after hard workouts, and limited quantities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •