Hey people,

I was wondering if you could help. I'm pretty sure I have some form of mineral deficiency... So, originally I was doing a VLC diet (ketosis) and was having dehydration problems, I managed to offset the majority of the problems but upping my salt intake (Himalayan pink salt) and supplementing potassium & magnesium. Then I found this site and started looking in to a Primal lifestyle (which seems to fit me much better), and now my carb intake is much higher (though probably still a bit shy of 100g) but I still seem to be having problems.

I'll get cramps every now and then, or pain in my calves (sometimes at night - I also seem to be waking up a few times throughout the night, the worst time was about 12 times in a 10 hour period, but is currently averaging about 5 times). But the main problem is craving chocolate and almonds... from what I can find this is generally related to magnesium problems, but from my diet I should be getting adequate amounts, plus I'm supplementing 200mg at the moment to no avail (still waking up slightly dehydrated - dried out lips slightly peeling, and sometimes difficulty swallowing early in the morning).

My general diet is:
3 egg omlette (with turmeric & salt, fried in coconut oil), (pastured chicken eggs)
2 beef patties (organic, grass fed beef)
40g lindt 85% chocolate

250g mixed lettuce / spinach
150g cold chicken pieces (grilled a few days prior, includes breast, thigh & wing meat)
1-2 tbsp EVOO

250g spinnach
400g mixed broccoli, carrot & cauliflower
1 tbsp EVOO
200g porterhouse steak (again organic grass fed beef)
1 glass or red wine

Other then that, I drink water (around 1.5 litres per day, with a pinch of salt in every 600g). I also supplement with fish oil, some vitamin D (to top up my levels if it was a low-sun day), potassium, magnesium & probiotics (recently stopped taking a low dose anti-biotic, so the probiotics are to try and undo the damage).

I generally eat pretty similar food on a daily basis (don't get bored), but I sometimes find myself craving chocolate around lunch time and sometimes when I get home I have a small handful of almonds, and keep going back (I end up eating up to a few ounces while waiting for my vegetables to cook), if not the almonds, then I might want some chocolate.

Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know. I'd really like to figure out what is going on.