Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about dairy and cheese? page

Thanks, Lew. is offline Junior Member

What about dairy and cheese?

Robb Wolf has dairy on his "no-no" list, but Mark doesn't.

Do I have that right?

I've eliminated all the grains and legumes since I started two weeks ago.

But I'm still putting about 2 TBSP of half-and-half in my morning coffee.

Is this OK . . . and what about cheese? I've been skipping it, but I'm wondering . . . what's the skinny on dairy?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Thanks, Joanie.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    There are two problems with dairy: lactose (a carbohydrate) and casein (a protein). If you are intolerent to them you should avoid the dairy products which have them.

Here's my breakdown:
    Ghee (none of either)
    Butter (small amounts of both casein and lactose)
    Cheese (small amounts of lactose, contains casein)
    Everything else (contains both protein and casein)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    While I could go the rest of my life never drinking a glass of milk (and sadly, actually went years without butter), I love cheese. I would have found a way to rationalize and make it primal even if it wasn't in primal limbo. Cheese is a fermented food after all. I wouldn't eat those blocks of rubbery stuff or any cheese that ends in "z," but those nice gooey stinky cheeses from goats, sheep, and even cows - oh yeah. I give myself a cheese day every other week (at least). Big cheese day. Like that's all I eat that day.

What was the question?

Metric is offline Senior Member
    If you don't have dairy issues, have at it, but stick to full fat (raw is best if it's available to you or non-homogonized if raw isn't available). I use only organic when it comes to dairy. 18 or 35% creams in my coffee, full-fat sour cream, cheese, butter, etc... I have dairy daily. I don't have issues with it and absolutely love it. If you suspect that you might, cut it out for a bit and see if you feel better.

Cheers.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    While I could go the rest of my life never drinking a glass of milk (and sadly, actually went years without butter), I love cheese. I would have found a way to rationalize and make it primal even if it wasn't in primal limbo. Cheese is a fermented food after all. I wouldn't eat those blocks of rubbery stuff or any cheese that ends in "z," but those nice gooey stinky cheeses from goats, sheep, and even cows - oh yeah. I give myself a cheese day every other week (at least). Big cheese day. Like that's all I eat that day.

What was the question?
    I haven't drunk milk since I was a kid.

Cheese is the big one for me. I'm not lactose intolerant (that I know of). I also put just enough half and half in my coffee to turn it from black to dark brown. I suppose I could try some organic heavy cream. Or Irish butter, which I'd like to try also.

I've been mostly paleo for about two weeks. After seeing a post about the 21-day challenge, I decided I would eliminate beer and cheese for the 21-days (starting yesterday 9-18-12). These are my main paleo (primal--I assume these terms are interchangeable?) weaknesses, especially my 1-2 IPAs with dinner.

I have occasional access to raw goat's milk, which I enjoy. But, at $5 a quart, it certainly won't be a regular part of my diet. In addition to the taste, drinking raw milk for me is a statement of my personal sovereignty.

Thanks for the responses!

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Rob W and Mark don't really advocate it, but if you drink milk. Make sure it's raw. Paleo Doctors - Chris Kressler and Cate Shannahan are strong proponents of raw milk. Again, if you can tolerate it, it can be very good for you. Luckily, I live in western Mass I get raw milk for only 5 bucks per gallon.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    From what I can tell, paleo = animals, fish, veg, limited fruit and nuts. Primal = paleo + dairy if you can tolerate it + other lifestyle benefits (fitness, stress reduction, sleep).

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Within the Primal plan, it seems to be a personal choice. If you tolerate it and want it, you can probably do fine with it. Raw milk from a grass-fed cow is obviously the best choice. The last time I drank straight milk, that's where I got it. I don't drink straight milk from the grocery store, but I do still use cream, butter, and cheese. I feel so much better just from the changes I have already made, I don't feel the need to eliminate it, even though there's a possibility that would help me get rid of this last little bit of stubborn belly fat. But I would feel sad and deprived without cream, butter, cheese and yogurt, so I choose to keep it in my diet. This lifestyle isn't sustainable if you can't enjoy yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast