Thread: Weird sleep thing page

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member

Weird sleep thing

Let me preface this by saying two things:

1. I am a champion sleeper. My crowning achievement was sleeping through hurricane Andrew when I was 15, then waking up mad that I missed the storm. As a baby, my mom says I used to fall asleep with food in my mouth.

2. My bed is incredibly comfortable. Once I'm in, I don't want to get out. The bed is not the issue.

Here's the problem - for the past two or three weeks, I've apparently been contorting myself in my sleep, and waking up with severe localized pain that fades after a day or two.

This morning for example, I woke up flat on my back with my head turned all the way to the right, and tilted all the way up - I was pressing my head into the pillow really, really hard. Once awake, I had to consciously relax my neck muscles to let up the pressure. All day, I've had a terrible pain in the right side of my neck and up into my head (hello headache!) and down into my back underneath my right shoulder blade.

A couple of days ago, I woke up completely twisted in half. I was face-up from the waist down, but face-down from the waist up. Back pain ensued.

I don't know why I'm doing this. I'm not having nightmares (although perhaps I'm dreaming of Cirque du Soleil), I'm not stressed, I have no other major issues. And this whole thing is new. And a little creepy - some of these positions I get myself into look like scenes from an exorcism movie. And it's not like I'm trying to get comfortable - these positions are anything but!

I'm pretty sure the quality of my sleep is suffering, and I know for sure my workouts are suffering.

Any ideas as to what's going on? How to stop it? I'm seriously open to suggestion here!

...leave it to me to have the weirdest issues...

proo is offline Member
    Dang

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sound sort of like the involuntary contractions people can get from nerve or electrolyte issues. But that's crying zebra. Most likely, it's stress.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I have something similar to this, and I ascribe it to back tension. I currently 'treat' it by going to bed with a wheatsack to help relax my upper back and shoulders.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I really, honestly don't feel stressed though. I'm the most laid-back person i know, and i'm able to "let things go" really well. I don't really carry any mental/emotional baggage - if i have a problem, i work toward a solution. If there's no solution, i let it go. If i'm stressed, i honestly don't know it.

Could it be an electrolyte thing? Some sort of deficiency of something else? It's just weird that it's so new.

How much salt do you consume? I never used to add salt to my meals pre-primal, but now I am an auto-salting fiend.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

I never add salt at the table, but i do use it during cooking as part of my seasoning arsenal. Could it be that simple? I've never been that fond of salt. Maybe i just don't get enough? Hm. But why does it only happen when i sleep? I mean theoretically, if my sodium is low, it should be low all the time, right?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It might not be sodium you are deficient in. Do you use pink salt?