Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: MMA vs. Muay Thai page

  1. #1
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827

    MMA vs. Muay Thai

    Primal Fuel
    So I found out that AZ Combat Sports is super cheap, so I will finally be able to fulfill my (small dream) of getting to do some serious martial arts...just not sure which one I want to do more. I'm leaning toward Muay Thai. Anyone have any opinions/advice?

  2. #2
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Are you looking to compete or just for fun? MMA is a lot more diverse though, depends on what you like.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  3. #3
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,678
    I did muay thai for almost 3 years and it's ridiculously awesome. I've never done MMA but I did train brazillian jiu-jitsu for about 6 months and that too was a lot of fun. MMA comprises more than those two, but no MMA fighter enters the ring/cage without Muay thai and bjj training so I feel like I can give an opinion on this one... tough choice really. Theoretically, you'll be exposed to plenty of Muay Thai techniques in an MMA gym, while also learning BJJ so that might be the way to go to be more well rounded? a pure Muay Thai gym has a certain air and culture about it though that to me is very appealing. Maybe watch some pure Muay Thai videos* and compare them to MMA fights and try to think of what you'd enjoy more... either way both will be a very grueling workout and a lot of fun.

    * do a youtube search for "channel 7 muay thai" for lots of great fights straight from Thailand. For MMA videos obviously look at the UFC, Strikeforce, etc which should be very easy to find.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 09-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.

  4. #4
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    Yeah, MMA is appealing to me because it offers a bit of everything. I feel more like I would prefer to have less grappling though, hence the preference toward Muay Thai. If I ever got somewhat good, I would LOVE to compete--I did kung fu and some krav maga, and they were great, but I always wanted try and compete, and that wasn't offered in those disciplines. Not sure what the percentage is out there of female fighters though, I feel like there's more in MMA than Muay Thai.

  5. #5
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    In general there is a lot more MMA fights than Muay Thai.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  6. #6
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Yeah, MMA is appealing to me because it offers a bit of everything. I feel more like I would prefer to have less grappling though, hence the preference toward Muay Thai. If I ever got somewhat good, I would LOVE to compete--I did kung fu and some krav maga, and they were great, but I really want to try and compete. Not sure what the percentage is out there of female fighters though, I feel like there's more in MMA than Muay Thai.
    Grappling is amazing, I think had I more time I would explore more of that world. I got chocked by a 110lb girl in less than a minute, so I think for a female it may be worth it to learn some of those techniques should you ever need them in a real life scenario (though opinions vary as to how effective that all would be if somebody just punches you in the face... but still, better safe than sorry)

    Keep in mind also that if you go the MMA route, you could still compete in muay thai/boxing, but if you went just muaythai the inverse wouldn't be true because you'd have no wrestling or ground game at all.

    Alternatively, you could sign up for a month at each gym (I'm assuming we're talking different gyms here) and then decide.

  7. #7
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Grappling is amazing, I think had I more time I would explore more of that world. I got chocked by a 110lb girl in less than a minute, so I think for a female it may be worth it to learn some of those techniques should you ever need them in a real life scenario (though opinions vary as to how effective that all would be if somebody just punches you in the face... but still, better safe than sorry)

    Keep in mind also that if you go the MMA route, you could still compete in muay thai/boxing, but if you went just muaythai the inverse wouldn't be true because you'd have no wrestling or ground game at all.

    Alternatively, you could sign up for a month at each gym (I'm assuming we're talking different gyms here) and then decide.
    Hmmm, good points! I didn't know you could still compete in Muay Thai if you're doing MMA. And no, it's all at one gym--they offer all different things, and from what I've read, they're supposed to be one of the best gyms out there and they're actually affordable.

  8. #8
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,678
    Oh, well if it's all on one gym can't you do more muay thai than the grappling side? or do they separate the two strongly for some reason? I would do like one day BJJ, 2 days muay thai if you were to go 3x/week

  9. #9
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Oh, well if it's all on one gym can't you do more muay thai than the grappling side? or do they separate the two strongly for some reason? I would do like one day BJJ, 2 days muay thai if you were to go 3x/week
    Not sure, guess I could check it out. I just know they have the Muay Thai class and the MMA class and some wrestling class. But yeah I guess if I could mix it up that would be a good idea.

  10. #10
    zpotter's Avatar
    zpotter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    7
    The is no other workout in the world like grappling. Plus, you can count it as play time also. MMA should give you a taste of both and if you prefer to just to stand up, you can always switch to the Muay Thai class.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •