Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA vs. Muay Thai page 2

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well if you're looking to get serious then focus on what you're worst at. If I remember correctly muay thai is mostly striking so that would be good if your striking is weak whereas (if the matches I've seen are any indication) mma seems to be a bit more focused on grappling.
    Personally I've never really like grappling, you're really stuck if the person happens to be better than you and you're rolling around on the ground. Kick someone, jump back and wait for an opening. Then kick again. The only time you go in to strangle them is when you know that they can't possibly beat you.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

David Garner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Hmmm, good points! I didn't know you could still compete in Muay Thai if you're doing MMA. And no, it's all at one gym--they offer all different things, and from what I've read, they're supposed to be one of the best gyms out there and they're actually affordable.
    Every gym I've ever been a member of offers both for a slight upcharge. That's what I always did, just alternating workouts as I saw fit.

I haven't done a dedicated MMA class, but I did Muay Thai and BJJ for years. For me personally, Muay Thai was better for conditioning, and BJJ was more challenging mentally and physically (meaning, BJJ was harder for me due to the fact that I was not really physically well suited for it -- I'm not strong, flexible or fast, so I was always at a bit of a disadvantage). I really love both, but I haven't been able to do either for quite a while now. With 3 kids, it's hard to work that much time into the day between work and gym, so I started working out at home.

A lot of it will depend on the particular classes they teach, and who the instructors are. I know we had some Muay Thai instructors who did basically a cardio kickboxing class with some technique work thrown in, and then we had some who did a long, brutal conditioning class followed by sparring. Similarly, we had BJJ instructors who would work us very hard in the warmups, and then others who were more focused on technique. The latter were more prevalent in my gym, which is why, for me, MT was better for conditioning.

An MMA class might be the best of both worlds, or it might not be as good as the other two by themselves. If you want to compete, you should be able to get amateur MMA fights or Muay Thai smokers within reasonable distance from your gym, so my advice is pick the one you like the best.
    Last edited by David Garner; 09-19-2012 at 04:50 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Well if you're looking to get serious then focus on what you're worst at. If I remember correctly muay thai is mostly striking so that would be good if your striking is weak whereas (if the matches I've seen are any indication) mma seems to be a bit more focused on grappling.
    Personally I've never really like grappling, you're really stuck if the person happens to be better than you and you're rolling around on the ground. Kick someone, jump back and wait for an opening. Then kick again. The only time you go in to strangle them is when you know that they can't possibly beat you.
    Hehe, so you say "focus on your weakness" but if you're bad at something you shouldn't do it? also, and I'm not looking to start shit, but how do you figure the "only time" to strangle someone is when they can't possibly beat you? better guys/gals get choked, it happens - it's not the norm, but it happens.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I think for men, better to focus on striking. In real life you never ever ever want to go to the ground, because if the guy you are fighting has a buddy who shows up late, and you are on the ground (even if you are winning) you are dead meat.

For women, I would recommend the opposite. Most of the time a woman is going to need to defend herself will likely be scenarios where someone is trying to get her on the ground. If I had daughters, it would be BJJ or Judo for them. My boys, however, will be focusing on more of the striking arts.

Now if it is for sport (as it sounds like), do whatever is the most fun

--Me

zpotter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    I think for men, better to focus on striking. In real life you never ever ever want to go to the ground, because if the guy you are fighting has a buddy who shows up late, and you are on the ground (even if you are winning) you are dead meat.

For women, I would recommend the opposite. Most of the time a woman is going to need to defend herself will likely be scenarios where someone is trying to get her on the ground. If I had daughters, it would be BJJ or Judo for them. My boys, however, will be focusing on more of the striking arts.

Now if it is for sport (as it sounds like), do whatever is the most fun

--Me
    I will respectfully disagree with you. Anyone with a decent ground game can get inside and take someone down. Almost every fight (real life) ends up on the ground at some point and having the advantage or at least equal footing on the ground is key. Except in rare cases (Chuck Liddell), someone with good wrestling/ground work will beat a pure striker in a street fight.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    OP, you didn't mention wanting to do either as a means of self defense. If SD is your end goal then I'd study both MMA and MT but those two still aren't good enough. You'd need to get weapons training too.

A lot of sports related martial arts have rules that impinge on what you can and can do. In a street fight you'll revert to your training. For example, in a self defense situation a finger jab to the eyes (which can be more effective for a woman than a punch) might be the quickest response but how often do you train to do just that in a sport related martial art?

The advantage sport MA gives is combat experience, confidence, and present of mind during a fight. Both MMA and MT will give you two aspects of that. But for self defense you need equal time simulating mixing it with the dirty tricks and weapons stuff you use on the street.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zpotter View Post
    I will respectfully disagree with you. Anyone with a decent ground game can get inside and take someone down. Almost every fight (real life) ends up on the ground at some point and having the advantage or at least equal footing on the ground is key. Except in rare cases (Chuck Liddell), someone with good wrestling/ground work will beat a pure striker in a street fight.
    I understand you disagree with me, I am not an absolute source of truth nor do I expected to be treated as one. But do me a favour and don't compare MMA to fighting. That is just not right on many levels.

Cheers!

--Me

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    This. But we've done this debate around here before. And there are entire other forums devoted to it.

Let's skip it and ask the OP what she's actually looking to get from her training rather than making our own assumptions.

David Garner is offline Junior Member
    Even Chuck Liddell used wrestling to keep from going to the ground.

Having said that, best to be well trained in both. But having said that, most people are at far greater risk of dying from a heart attack or being crippled by their low fitness level than being attacked on the street, so for me, diet and exercise are the keys, and MMA/BJJ/MT training are fantastic forms of exercise (so you kill 2 birds with one stone).

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys,
    I'm more interested in doing it because I wanna get my ass kicked and get in some fights. Not too interested in self-defense--if that were the case, I'd go back to krav maga like I used to do, I think that's one of the most practical martial arts. I'm not really in it for practicality this time. Really just wanna do something super physical, have someone beat me up and perhaps get to beat them up as well Oh and get totally exhausted too. That's about what I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast