Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Women FAST?

Hybrid View

Health Divas Guest

Should Women FAST?

Here, here! We, Health Divas, are from London, UK! We love Mark's articles and are a big fan! Mark is the ONLY one out there that writes MORE about women, that's why we follow him. An example, his article, Should Women Fast? Yes? No? It depends?

Boys, you are also welcome to help our divas with your opinion and experience!

Love,
    Health Divas
    Last edited by Health Divas; 04-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Well, since I've been fasting for the last 45 or so years, you can guess what my vote was~

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Well, since I've been fasting for the last 45 or so years, you can guess what my vote was~
    Wow, I can only go 2 or 3 days before the food starts speaking to me. 45 Years is impressive.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Health Divas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    You are a living example that for some women it does work! thanks for sharing!

Health Divas

I think YMMV when it comes to fasting -- what works for some might be disastrous for others. Here's a good article on negative impacts of fasting for women: How Intermittent Fasting Saved Me While Slowly Killing me | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
    I think YMMV when it comes to fasting -- what works for some might be disastrous for others.
    This.

I only accidentally started doing it, before I knew what it was, but it feels natural most days, however I read, and not sure where, that women of child bearing years (that still WANT to bear that is) should not fast. That is SO NOT me.... therefore I fast.

So my vote for me would be yes, but that is JMO for myself.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Health Divas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    This.

I only accidentally started doing it, before I knew what it was, but it feels natural most days, however I read, and not sure where, that women of child bearing years (that still WANT to bear that is) should not fast. That is SO NOT me.... therefore I fast.

So my vote for me would be yes, but that is JMO for myself.
    @ Gopintos - It is correct to say that, unfortunately, the hormonal changes experienced by a fasting diva will mean a slightly decreased fertility. Some divas will lose their period. But others will NOT... they are the exception!

I know of an overweight diva who looked for a baby for 3 entire years... There was nothing wrong with her hubbie. Her Doctor told her you need to lose 5 kg (ca. 11 lbs) in order to conceive as she had an "inhospitable" environment for fertilization as well as a few cysts. When you have cysts your body needs a serious detox. The Doctor gave her a low calorie diet. Instead, she fasted for a week and lost all that weight in ONE go. A month later she learned she was pregnant! Her baby was a healthy big boy who is now 6 months old.

Again, we are different. There are rules, but there are exceptions too! Weight could play a role in fertility too. Overweight people could be as nutrient-deficient as a food-deprived person... Food for thought!

Love,
    Health Divas

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
    I think YMMV when it comes to fasting -- what works for some might be disastrous for others. Here's a good article on negative impacts of fasting for women: How Intermittent Fasting Saved Me While Slowly Killing me | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations
    +1

Intermittent fasting actually caused a shit ton of health problems for me, so while I think the scientific research behind it is pretty cool, and I really wanted to buy into it, it was a disaster for me.

Eating one huge meal per day triggered some of the most painful IBS flares of my life. Now, as a result, I have to keep my meals small, and space them out throughout the day.

While not due solely to IF, while IFing, my fatigue got substantially worse (though likely this was also largely due to being lowish carb for too many months). I discovered that on fasting days, my body responded to the extreme calorie reduction by basically shutting down operations. I would get cold in my extremities, and in my core, I would move around less and less until basically I couldn't even get myself off the couch.

IFing destroyed my sleep. I realized that my 40-48 hour fasts basically guaranteed to the worst sleep of my life.
    I know that fasting does wonders for some folks, but for me it's one of the worst things I ever inflicted on myself.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-19-2012 at 03:31 AM.

I firmly believe that every person is individual and will react differently to fasting. There are certain female members on this board that swear by fasting and those that do horribly on one.

I am not a woman and thus, cannot comment based on any personal experience, but if you are a woman and have never tried fasting, I recommend trying it out a few times and seeing how you feel. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but one never knows without trying, right? It's why you're doing the primal blueprint, because you decided to try a new thing!

The worst that can happen is that you don't do well and decide not to continue it. You've not lost much by trying!

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    +1

Intermittent fasting actually caused a shit ton of health problems for me, so while I think the scientific research behind it is pretty cool, and I really wanted to buy into it, it was a disaster for me.

Eating one huge meal per day triggered some of the most painful IBS flares of my life. Now, as a result, I have to keep my meals small, and space them out throughout the day.

While not due solely to IF, while IFing, my fatigue got substantially worse (though likely this was also largely due to being lowish carb for too many months). I discovered that on fasting days, my body responded to the extreme calorie reduction by basically shutting down operations. I would get cold in my extremities, and in my core, I would move around less and less until basically I couldn't even get myself off the couch.

IFing destroyed my sleep. I realized that my 40-48 hour fasts basically guaranteed to the worst sleep of my life.
    I know that fasting does wonders for some folks, but for me it's one of the worst things I ever inflicted on myself.
    There is no one-best-thing for anyone, except maybe breathing & drinking water, eating some food, moving the body. Everything after those generally good habits, is up to each & every one of us to discover for ourselves. Sadly, sometimes that process of discovery is fraught with some pain & suffering. Sorry to hear of your troubles, BestBetter. Hope you are healing & feeling your best & ...better!

And this thread is so interesting & even entertaining, with all this back & forth energized banter . I have views & opinions about women & some experiences with women too. But I will not make much more comment, as I obviously am not qualified as a man to duke it out, much less even to enter into the ring here. So I will just follow, absorb & try to learn about the ladies from these exchanges on these & other lady-centric threads, from here on out.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-25-2012 at 03:49 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown