Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Women FAST? page 5

Cossycarrick is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Health Divas View Post
    Here, here! We, Health Divas, are from London, UK! We love Mark's articles and are a big fan! Mark is the ONLY one out there that writes MORE about women, that's why we follow him. An example, his article, Should Women Fast? Yes? No? It depends? We created a little poll for our divas out there VOTE HERE.

Boys, you are also welcome to help our divas with your opinion and experience!

Love,
    Health Divas
    Health Divas
    Funny chaps women

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Feeling lighter, "floaty", sexier, joyful and enlightened is something that most people will experience when undergoing long periods without food.
    I feel cheated. I have never experienced joy when fasting. Or enlightenment. I felt anxious, hungry, depressed and increasingly lethargic. I get huge highs from aerobic activities (my runner's high is so high I use it for recovery after a lifting session to be able to function for a few hours before collapsing). But fasting is nothing until I feel the need to eat, and then it is exhausting. I experience high once I have eaten.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I am not in tune enough yet, I dont think I feel different one way or the other. It is a great meal once I do eat though. And I research so much and trying to learn so much, that it all is pretty much on my mind all the time. Not necessarily eating food, but just food and what I need to do in general is always in the forefront.

I am trying to focus on other projects now though. I have been at this weight loss thing for 9 months. I am half way there. It has been slow going since going primal but I know it is more sustainable this way. It really is a lifestyle change. So now, I do feel better and I am ready to move on to a new project that will hopefully fill alot of my time, which will then make fasting easier, it will make me not think about food so much but hopefully I have a good foundation now that I know what I need to do without thinking about it so much.

Anyways, it hasn't been any kind of emotional or spiritual or sensual experience for me either. But maybe that is because my purpose was for weight loss. Maybe if I was doing it just because my body felt like it, it might be different. I am just not there yet. I can usually fast just fine, but I am very mindful of the clock and can't wait for it to be over.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I don't know about others but, In my concept fasting is good for health. In my country usually women use to take fasting.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I like fasting. I liked it when I was younger. So, that covers both pre and post menopausal for me. Aside from science, and going just on personal observation, the one meal (or one meal plus light snack) a day model keeps me alert and active, and I'm leaner when I follow it. The only thing that decreases my libido is tragedy. Orgasms are like apples - you should have one a day.

The emotional component to fasting is feeling in control. I like that feeling also. There's a time of day when I eat. That's it. I don't have to plan or deal with it the whole rest of the day, except to pull something out of the freezer first thing in the morning.

As a note, I hated the grazing model. I rejected three square meals over 25 years ago, and when the whole five or six small meals was proposed I thought it was one of the most stupid things I'd ever heard.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I stayed away from this thread because I thought it was just spam to direct traffic to that HD website. And it probably is. But it's been quite an entertaining read.

I could fast one day a week back when I was in the weight loss mode. I can't do it anymore. The best I can do is consume a buttery coffee and push my breakfast forward to somewhere between 9:30am and 2pm. Or I can go for a strenuous hike without breakfast (but there's always at least some coffee with cream or butter) and have my first meal be lunch.

No floaty, endorphin, spiritual bullshit involved in any of this. Back when I was able to fast one day a week, I ended the day feeling pretty damn hungry and freezing ass cold. Nowadays, pushing breakfast forward, I feel okay but eventually I eat because I am hungry.

I hate all this fasting and floaty spiritual bullshit crap in regards to fasting. It sucks in the mentally weak and it's all bullshit. I lead Sierra Club hikes. They are open to the public. A mentally unstable individual who often shows up who is normally quite strong and tolerable had heard that fasting "cleanses the soul". So he attended my hike carrying a freaking pint of water and two cans of orange soda and an orange (I guess he mistook orange soda for juice or something, he's probably got a sub-80 IQ) and didn't bother to inform anyone until he's practically puking his guts out near the summit. I had to baby-sit his ass all the way up the mountain. All the rest of the hike participants had to give him their extra water. I ended the hike completely out of water having had to give him enough to keep him alive. I had to inform him that when people do a fast they normally sit and meditate, they don't go hiking in 90+ degree temperatures 3000 feet up a mountain and it was foolish of him to do it. His response was, oh wow, I can totally feel the difference, I understand everything about the universe now. Did you know that Russia has robots that look like real people? Oh criminy, jesus h. christ on a raft give me a break.

So your "scientific" jargon is nothing but a bunch of dangerous bullshit that's going to get someone with sub-average intelligence into trouble. My answer to your original question, based on the trend of this conversation:
    "Should Women FAST?" No, nobody SHOULD fast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I too, would like to know what this 'floaty, euphoric' stuff is all about. Considering that I have been skipping breakfast since 4th. grade (yes, I can remember that far back) and usually ate once a day (dinner) in high school, yet I've never felt anything other than empty (digestively) That includes the 10 day fast I did for my eczema. I've spoken to several people via forums, even one gal that did a 40 day fast, and none of them ever reported any out of the ordinary mental/physical sensations either. Something smells fishy here.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I will not make much more comment, as I obviously am not qualified as a man to duke it out, much less even to enter into the ring here. So I will just follow, absorb & try to learn about the ladies from these exchanges on these & other lady-centric threads, from here on out.
    You're welcome anytime, Dimples.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I do NOT recommend fasting for anyone with Adrenal Fatigue. Unless you like being a cranky, weepy bitch.
    That is definitely another area that needs healing first.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I feel cheated. I have never experienced joy when fasting. Or enlightenment. I felt anxious, hungry, depressed and increasingly lethargic. I get huge highs from aerobic activities (my runner's high is so high I use it for recovery after a lifting session to be able to function for a few hours before collapsing). But fasting is nothing until I feel the need to eat, and then it is exhausting. I experience high once I have eaten.
    Not feeling joyful is just being a normal person instead of a dramatic Diva. Feeling depressed may be a sign that fasting is something you should wait a while to tackle also. Like what Omni said about when it comes naturally, not forced, that is how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Anyways, it hasn't been any kind of emotional or spiritual or sensual experience for me either. But maybe that is because my purpose was for weight loss. Maybe if I was doing it just because my body felt like it, it might be different. I am just not there yet. I can usually fast just fine, but I am very mindful of the clock and can't wait for it to be over.
    Yeah, floaty magical love chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by honestboy640 View Post
    I don't know about others but, In my concept fasting is good for health. In my country usually women use to take fasting.
    Exactly. It is healthy and it has a long history in many cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I like fasting. I liked it when I was younger. So, that covers both pre and post menopausal for me. Aside from science, and going just on personal observation, the one meal (or one meal plus light snack) a day model keeps me alert and active, and I'm leaner when I follow it. The only thing that decreases my libido is tragedy. Orgasms are like apples - you should have one a day.

The emotional component to fasting is feeling in control. I like that feeling also. There's a time of day when I eat. That's it. I don't have to plan or deal with it the whole rest of the day, except to pull something out of the freezer first thing in the morning.

As a note, I hated the grazing model. I rejected three square meals over 25 years ago, and when the whole five or six small meals was proposed I thought it was one of the most stupid things I'd ever heard.
    I have naturally gone toward the one meal plan as well. With maybe a light snack in the afternoon. I don't really think of "fasting" in terms of anything less than 24 hours. When people say they fast every day, as in they skip breakfast and have BP coffee instead, that's nice but not really fasting in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I stayed away from this thread because I thought it was just spam to direct traffic to that HD website. And it probably is. But it's been quite an entertaining read.

I could fast one day a week back when I was in the weight loss mode. I can't do it anymore. The best I can do is consume a buttery coffee and push my breakfast forward to somewhere between 9:30am and 2pm. Or I can go for a strenuous hike without breakfast (but there's always at least some coffee with cream or butter) and have my first meal be lunch.

No floaty, endorphin, spiritual bullshit involved in any of this. Back when I was able to fast one day a week, I ended the day feeling pretty damn hungry and freezing ass cold. Nowadays, pushing breakfast forward, I feel okay but eventually I eat because I am hungry.

I hate all this fasting and floaty spiritual bullshit crap in regards to fasting. It sucks in the mentally weak and it's all bullshit. I lead Sierra Club hikes. They are open to the public. A mentally unstable individual who often shows up who is normally quite strong and tolerable had heard that fasting "cleanses the soul". So he attended my hike carrying a freaking pint of water and two cans of orange soda and an orange (I guess he mistook orange soda for juice or something, he's probably got a sub-80 IQ) and didn't bother to inform anyone until he's practically puking his guts out near the summit. I had to baby-sit his ass all the way up the mountain. All the rest of the hike participants had to give him their extra water. I ended the hike completely out of water having had to give him enough to keep him alive. I had to inform him that when people do a fast they normally sit and meditate, they don't go hiking in 90+ degree temperatures 3000 feet up a mountain and it was foolish of him to do it. His response was, oh wow, I can totally feel the difference, I understand everything about the universe now. Did you know that Russia has robots that look like real people? Oh criminy, jesus h. christ on a raft give me a break.

So your "scientific" jargon is nothing but a bunch of dangerous bullshit that's going to get someone with sub-average intelligence into trouble. My answer to your original question, based on the trend of this conversation:
    "Should Women FAST?" No, nobody SHOULD fast.
    I totally agree with you about the pseudo spiritual BS. Food is fuel and having all the emotional trappings around the whole process I think is unhealthy.

As to you thinking no one should fast, I would say everyone should speak for themselves on this. Or maybe you meant nobody "should" fast in the imperative, as in someone telling you "thou shalt". It is an individual decision and is not right for everyone. It was definitely not right for that guy on your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I too, would like to know what this 'floaty, euphoric' stuff is all about. Considering that I have been skipping breakfast since 4th. grade (yes, I can remember that far back) and usually ate once a day (dinner) in high school, yet I've never felt anything other than empty (digestively) That includes the 10 day fast I did for my eczema. I've spoken to several people via forums, even one gal that did a 40 day fast, and none of them ever reported any out of the ordinary mental/physical sensations either. Something smells fishy here.
    What can you expect from people who call themselves "Divas"?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-25-2012 at 12:43 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, floaty magical love chemicals.
    When I do finally eat, it is almost orgasmic though, does that count? I said ALMOST. Or maybe it is the sex as the result of the bacon, I dont know.

I know that I use to not watch Giada, cuz I never trusted a skinny chef. And she just enjoyed the bites she would take just too damn much. Now I can understand
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    When I do finally eat, it is almost orgasmic though, does that count? I said ALMOST. Or maybe it is the sex as the result of the bacon, I dont know.

I know that I use to not watch Giada, cuz I never trusted a skinny chef. And she just enjoyed the bites she would take just too damn much. Now I can understand
    Just exactly what are you doing with the bacon grease? Enquiring minds want to know.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast