Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Should Women FAST? page 13

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Like this??

I just feel like yelling, Just Run Dammit!! I was glad for the recap in slow motion, so I didnt miss anything.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    God that racewalking is really scary and creepy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    race walking has a very weird gait, for sure.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I should stress that the running I'm doing is beyond slow. Total strangers make fun of me. I think I could run alongside someone who is walking. I can't walk fast enough to get my heart rate to my target zone, so the running bumps my heart up. I use a heart rate monitor so that I know for sure what is going on. The whole point of this is to build up the slow-twitch muscle fibers in my body and improve my pace while keeping my heart rate static. The slow-twitch fibers use fat for energy. The fast-twitch fibers use glycogen for energy. The fast-twitch ones are the ones you employ the most when you are lifting weights, sprinting and doing activities at an anaerobic level. All activities actually use both, but anaerobic uses more fast-twitch and aerobic uses more slow-twitch.

I want to also stress that endurance activities appeal to me greatly. I wouldn't do this if I felt it was punishment or purely a weight loss trick.
    While it's technically true that lifting mostly activates and works fast twitch muscle fibres, if one lifts weights at a fast pace (as most lifters do, to "crank them out"). However, if one lifts very slowly, & even slower on the negative lift, then the opposite effects are experienced. I practice slow lifting with moderate weights, high reps. And I recommend/teach all my clients to do the same.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55931 : Can you get results in 20 minutes a week? Here's what the experts say.

Last two paragraphs of the article:

Orlando, Fla., trainer Ken Hutchins developed a method he called "SuperSlow" in 1982. He was leading a study with a group of elderly women with osteoporosis. When using his standard weightlifting protocol (two seconds up and four seconds down), Hutchins became concerned about the women's erratic form. He decided to change things, and eventually came up with the premise of SuperSlow. Using light weights, and slow, steady movements, the women made dramatic gains in strength.

Wayne L. Westcott, PhD, fitness research director at the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, Mass., was intrigued. He studied two of Hutchins' groups. In each, 75 people tackled the SuperSlow program for eight weeks (in 1993) and 10 weeks (in 1999). Westcott compared the SuperSlow group with a group that did traditional weight training, lifting for two seconds and lowering for two. The SuperSlow group did only five repetitions, while the comparison group did 10. In both studies, the SuperSlow groups saw strength gains at least 50% greater than the group doing traditional weight training.
    Last edited by Betorq; 10-01-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's some cool info.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I practice slow lifting with moderate weights, high reps. And I recommend/teach all my clients to do the same.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55931 : Can you get results in 20 minutes a week? Here's what the experts say.
    Great info. I think I havent really incorporated my ST because I dont know what exactly to do. I guess I need to just write it out on paper and then go down the list. It always seems like I don't know where to start, and then I am like ok, now what? I dont know what to do next. And I know to mix that up after awhile, add more weight or more reps or different routine, but I just get paralyzed sometimes with where even to start. I think a good place to start, is to go down and organize my work out area It is in the "man cave" more like Teenager Cave, and I just don't even go down there very often. I did however drag my elliptical up here when I started all this, all the way around the house. Anyways, thanks for all the great info, as usual

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Great info. I think I havent really incorporated my ST because I dont know what exactly to do. I guess I need to just write it out on paper and then go down the list.
    OMG what a ditz. I was looking at SP and it's all right there. I plugged in some info and bam! There is my routine. I am going to reread PBFitness and mesh it all together according to his guidelines.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have heard of that kind of slow weight training from Mike Eades' blog. I think it was called Slow Burn. I should do that for my upper body. One day in my regular fitness class we had a substitute teacher come in and she did everything really slowly. I think everybody in the class hated it. I thought it felt really effective. I was never so sore in all my life, too. I hate being sore, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    How about women who want to conceive? I was eating two meals/day, breakfast around 8 and supper around 5. Is this a stressor? Should one eat more often if trying to conceive?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    PlaoeCowgirl, take the old wive's advice with a grain of salt. When we try to conceive we will do anything. I was told if I gain 10 lbs it might help (of course if you are overweight they tell you to lose weight). Well, I gained 10 lbs, and it did nothing. Except sticking to my thighs for 3 years.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast