Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Should Women FAST? page 12

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You have found your gift and I'm so happy for you! I hope to join you in endurance pursuits sometime soon and I'll use your method of low heart-rate exercise. Thank You!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I should stress that the running I'm doing is beyond slow. Total strangers make fun of me. I think I could run alongside someone who is walking. I can't walk fast enough to get my heart rate to my target zone, so the running bumps my heart up. I use a heart rate monitor so that I know for sure what is going on. The whole point of this is to build up the slow-twitch muscle fibers in my body and improve my pace while keeping my heart rate static. The slow-twitch fibers use fat for energy. The fast-twitch fibers use glycogen for energy. The fast-twitch ones are the ones you employ the most when you are lifting weights, sprinting and doing activities at an anaerobic level. All activities actually use both, but anaerobic uses more fast-twitch and aerobic uses more slow-twitch.

I want to also stress that endurance activities appeal to me greatly. I wouldn't do this if I felt it was punishment or purely a weight loss trick.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I want to also stress that endurance activities appeal to me greatly. I wouldn't do this if I felt it was punishment or purely a weight loss trick.
    No worries, I do too. I love walking to the grocery store for miles and picking up my three pounds of vegetables. It's a great way for me to unwind. Don't need to talk to anybody. Wind whipping my hair around. Vibrams keeping my feet close to the ground. Awesome

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I should stress that the running I'm doing is beyond slow. Total strangers make fun of me. I think I could run alongside someone who is walking.
    hilarious. Made me lol myself

I need to get me some of them thar slow twitchers.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The slowest running is always faster than walking. That's why I started to run in the first place back when I did CW.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Nah, I probably DO walk faster than sbhikes runs.

And yes, I do laugh at those slow runners. I laugh at you, sbhikes! LOL

I am serious, too. There was this guy who used to run in our old neighborhood, and DH and I would go out for a walk. We would usually lap him twice on our walk, while he was "running." (it was also a ridiculously inefficient gait. and by ridiculous, I did laugh at him.)

I'm not sure about the heart rate bit, but that's all good. You gotta go your way. I will just continue to laugh at you. Nah, maybe I'll develop more openness "hey, maybe that gets their heart rate to the right place."

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I doubt that any of you could outdo me regarding slowness in running. My lung capacity is equivalent to someone 17 years younger.

I have a very low resting heart rate and low blood pressure too. My reason for being a slow runner is hypermobile joints.

I am so pleased for you that you enjoy poking fun at those with an inefficient gait zoebird.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 10-01-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Nah, I probably DO walk faster than sbhikes runs.
    Hell, even I walk faster than I run.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    <giggles>
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hell, even I walk faster than I run.
    Like this??

Last edited by Nady; 10-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast