Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Women FAST? page 11

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey so I did go for a run this morning. I was semi-fasted. I had only coffee with half and half for breakfast and a cup of bone broth. I set off at about 11am and ran for almost 3 hours. My stomach was growling at first and then it stopped. I never felt tired. I could have gone all day. I think I will make a fasted (or semi-fasted like this) run a weekly experience if possible. I broke my fast with a big fruit salad: avocado, tomato and figs with olive oil and vinegar and pesto.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    WTG!

I have been discovering similar experiences. Seems like I do best at about 16 hours, unless I am going for a 24. That is LeanGains protocol, right? But seems like lately, 10 or 11am is when I start to get hungry, if my day starts at 4am. I try to hold off until 12 or 1, more of a Fast 5.

I dont do near the activity as you though, not really. I might "do stuff" for hours, but I dont know how effective.

But today, I had coffee w/cream first thing, then when out and caught my horse and got ready for a ride. Ride was 4 hours. Probably an hour+ of catching, tacking, feeding, haul saddles back, etc. Anyways, usually when I go for a trail ride, I pack like I might be gone for a week! Today, I took a couple bottles of water and that was it! So proud of myself! So it was after 2, maybe even 3 before I ate a little something.

But in looking back over the summer, I had many 24 hour days. Mostly Fast 5 days, and my weight loss crawled. I never binged. Calories always in check. The 24 hour days were more like 1000 calorie days. So I dont know. I need more n=1 but I do think that I still need to incorporate some 24s now and then, and a 48 every week or two for the health benefits. I keep thinking I should do a longer one, a modified one with kraut and broth.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hey so I did go for a run this morning. I was semi-fasted. I had only coffee with half and half for breakfast and a cup of bone broth. I set off at about 11am and ran for almost 3 hours. My stomach was growling at first and then it stopped. I never felt tired. I could have gone all day. I think I will make a fasted (or semi-fasted like this) run a weekly experience if possible. I broke my fast with a big fruit salad: avocado, tomato and figs with olive oil and vinegar and pesto.
    Overtraining? unless you remain sedentary for the rest of the week. Just a thought on your lack of fat loss in the past few weeks.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am going into a dental surgery with sedation on Wednesday, so my dentist and they want an 8 hour fast with no water before the surgery. Technically, I can put something into myself at 4 am when I get up, but I figure why risk being sick after or during surgery. So, I will have supper at like 8 pm, and that's it till I get home after surgery or can eat again, whichever comes first (so a minimum of about 20 hours). For funzies, I should stay away from water too. Full tilt, a throwback to my sweet sixteen.

Now, what are the chances that I can experience the psycho-enlightening shit? I hope it happens post-surgery. If I glow in the reception or get an epiphany, I will let y'all know.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I have had no fat loss for about 9 months doing all high-impact and high heart-rate exercises such as core fitness, power walking, strenuous hiking and sprinting. Since I've started doing low heart-rate exercise, such as my slow 3 hour jog this weekend, I have lost about 4lbs. Not only that, but my sense of energy and well-being has increased times 10. I am doing about 1 to 3 hours of low heart-rate jogging and/or cycling a day with at least 1 rest day. This is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. I bought a size 2 pair of pants yesterday at the thrift store. I'm about to break through the 130lbs barrier if I haven't already. As soon as there is a real visual difference, I plan to take a new progress picture.

Sbhikes, can't wait! Just curious - what are your general stress levels and how much sleep do you get every night?

Evita is offline Senior Member
    I do this thing called eating only when I'm hungry.

When I'm eating good fats, protein and tons of veggies, its rare that I need 3 meals a day and also I am typically not hungry for breakfast.

I go with the flow of my body!

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Sbhikes, can't wait! Just curious - what are your general stress levels and how much sleep do you get every night?
    I generally go to bed between 8:30 and 9pm. I get up between 5:30 and 6am. Other than that, my life is pretty stress-free. I avoid stress as much as possible, never having been a person who could handle it. A doctor told me in my 20s to avoid stress so that's how I've tried to live life. Left a dot-bomb for a calmer life at a university. It's great.

Slowing down all my exercise has been truly a miracle. Before I did everything at a higher level thinking that it's best to work harder so you get more out of it. I also fell for all that stuff about weight lifting and sprinting being better than endurance exercise. That was all wrong for me. I was in pain 4-5 days a week and it wasn't as much fun for me.

I had no idea I could run for 3 hours. It's a blast. I set out not even planning where to go. I call it going on one of my walkabout-runabout adventures. Yesterday I ran to the beach and then decided I'd run through Hope Ranch, a wealthy community with lots of horse trails. I ran on a horse trail through vines and oak trees in the shade. It was a blazing hot day otherwise. It felt so good. I totally didn't even think of myself as exercising. More like exploring. I'd driven this scenic drive and ridden my bike on it lots of times, but I've never done the horse trail before.

I'm looking forward to when I can set out with my little running vest and collapsible cup and run into the mountains on days when the creeks are flowing. This was what I had hoped I could do after I completed the Pacific Crest Trail. I thought I might have a gift for endurance but I was completely unable to run after hiking the trail and I ended up fat, in pain and hungry all the time. Well, eating low carb was one key to unlocking that gift. The other key has been low heart-rate exercising. I think the third key will be moderate or modified fasting. Hopefully next fall I will be able to enter a local ultramarathon and just show up with my cup and go for it.

I generally go to bed between 8:30 and 9pm. I get up between 5:30 and 6am. Other than that, my life is pretty stress-free. I avoid stress as much as possible, never having been a person who could handle it. A doctor told me in my 20s to avoid stress so that's how I've tried to live life. Left a dot-bomb for a calmer life at a university. It's great.
    I think I may be the same way. Right now I am on stress overload, and I think that is way impairing my fat loss, because I know for sure that I can lose fat at my current calorie intake and burn. I've also noticed a huge improvement after eliminating 2-3x/week sprinting to just maybe 1x/week in addition to my 2x/week lifting, so I think you have something there too.

I like your take on things Can't wait to see how things happen with your fasting and long endurance runs.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I set out not even planning where to go.
    Reminds me of Forrest All sounds fantastic!

Running will never be my thing. I hear all the time of ppl that have lost weight and started running. I am like WTH? Why? ha

I was always better at short fast sprints. Like 50 or 100 yards. I am afraid the sabertooth would have to eat me

I am thinking the difference for me, between my slow weight loss since Primal and my faster weight loss coming off SAD, well one thing was cutting the carbs. Even though only cutting to like 150 - 200, I am sure it was still significant from what I use to. Well I know I had 300 a day in just sweet tea! The other difference, I was doing dvds daily, for 1 - 2 hours. Slim in 6, Zumba and something else I can't remember, like SI6 type stuff though. And my elliptical. 10 minutes at a time, but I would do 6 of those per day.

But like you said, I was hungry All.The.Time. All the damn time.

And I hate exercise. I feel better afterwards, but I hate doing it. So I am working on finding what works for me. I have been doing tabata on my elliptical every other to every 2 days. I can do that. Something takes over and I just do it until I get it done. I am like a maniac. I can even do it while fasted and not pass out.

I use to love ST. I dont know what happened. But I know I need to figure it out and do it. This week I am going to start doing some t-tapp. I was going to start today but I can barely walk after riding yesterday. I need to just ride my damn horse every day. I lost 30lbs effortlessly, catching, saddling, unsaddling, etc 6 - 8 horses almost daily. Then the house fire, and all that stress and 60lbs gained. Ugghh. So I have lost that now, but only back to where I started so I am about half way there.

I think I think about it too much. But Tuesday and Wednesday should be easy fast days. (still modified for awhile) I am going to try to make that my routine, starting this week. The other days, will see how it plays out.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast