Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabata Sprints! page

Kiowa is offline Junior Member

Tabata Sprints!

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone else feel freakishly strong the following day? I just started doing TS and my whole body feels "charged up", also, I'm blasting through other plateauís.

Compared to other forms of running, my heart rate was back to baseline faster and I don't have the soreness/fatigue that I used to get with running for distance!

BTW, what is the consensus for TS frequency?

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiowa View Post
    Does anyone else feel freakishly strong the following day? I just started doing TS and my whole body feels "charged up", also, I'm blasting through other plateau’s.

Compared to other forms of running, my heart rate was back to baseline faster and I don't have the soreness/fatigue that I used to get with running for distance!

BTW, what is the consensus for TS frequency?
    I will tell you tomorrow as I just started sprints this AM. However I had not eaten breakfast and was planning on waiting for lunch since I had a good size dinner last night (you know, experimenting!)... BUT I felt VERY hungry from 10am on... A little light headed too. And I had no snack with me I guess I'd better plan my IF trials outside my sprints, did not work good for me today!
    Funny because last week I did a 24hr fast (more situational than anything, away on business and no great options around me, so I 'waited' to get home to eat) and it was fairly & surprisingly easy.

What do you eat before/after your TS - anything different than your non-workout days?

I think Mark recommends sprints every week or once every 10 days or so.

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I can tell you my ass hurts after doing them! I feel like I have an invincible ass! Hmm maybe that explains my superman undees.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I honestly don't know how tabata sprints are possible.

Sprinting for 20 seconds and resting for 10 seconds (x8) !!!

I do Tabata with other exercises and it works great but Tabata with Sprinting is nigh on impossible in my experience

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I do my own version of TS once a week on the treadmill. Consists of sprinting for 30 seconds and walking for 30 seconds. Do this for approx 5 minutes. My biggest worry is falling off the treadmill.

sandstone is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I honestly don't know how tabata sprints are possible.

Sprinting for 20 seconds and resting for 10 seconds (x8) !!!

I do Tabata with other exercises and it works great but Tabata with Sprinting is nigh on impossible in my experience
    Remember that Tabata is about intensity. You can do plenty of exercises to a (20/10) x 8 timing protocol but that does not necessarily make them Tabata.

Things like sprinting will require a high VO2 max which is ideal. Even if the legs and lungs get tired it is all about maintaining the cardiovascular intensity.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I get that but sprinting for 20 seconds is a long time and you have to do this 8 times after 10 seconds rest.

i consider myself pretty fit but I don't even think superman could do balls to the wall tabata sprints.

I am just wondering if this is really Tabata running rather than sprinting.

I tend to do Tabata protocol with Kettlebells which i find works quite well for me.

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    It's not an all out sprint, a faster jog at best - video is the only thing that would convince me otherwise. How you "feel" doesn't really matter, ie: you may feel like you're sprinting, but you're not.

However, you're moving baby! kudos to you.

Kiowa is offline Junior Member
    Froggie- I have found that I get the most out of my TS when I have a more carb heavy meal, but make sure it is well digested! I was sprinting 2hrs after dinner the other night and felt a little bogged down. Also, instead of resting between sprints I like to do push-ups or dips when I am feeling really ambitious!

You were right about the frequency, the primal workout pyramid is on the main page today. I’m not sure I would want to do them more than once a week anyway- they are pretty intense!!

sandstone is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I get that but sprinting for 20 seconds is a long time and you have to do this 8 times after 10 seconds rest.

i consider myself pretty fit but I don't even think superman could do balls to the wall tabata sprints.

I am just wondering if this is really Tabata running rather than sprinting.

I tend to do Tabata protocol with Kettlebells which i find works quite well for me.
    You may be right. Certainly the first 2-3 sets shouldn't be too much of a problem to complete at a sprint (I normally peak around the 3rd set), but by the last couple you will certainly be slowing down. It's just important to keep the HR high and not relax out for the max benefit.

Kb swings can work pretty well as a Tabata exercise, I think snatches have a bit too long of a cycle period, by that I mean that a snatch takes around 2 seconds to complete so you can end up with anything from an 18/12 or 22/8 timing ratio if you are not careful, which is quite a big difference. I think thats why VWC uses 15/15 for snatches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast