Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabata Sprints! page 2

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It seems no-one here knows what Tabata actually is (no offence!) Let me clear that up for you.
    The original scientific study was based on using a stationary bike for 8 cycles of 20/10 done 4x per week plus one session of what I suppose would be considered "chronic cardio". Nothing that anyone has described above actually conforms to the Tabata protocol. That is not to say it isn't beneficial, it just isn't Tabata.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I've done tabota on the rower and was wiped at the end. I've have come to the conclusion that tabota should be a curse word.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I did one round (4 minutes) of tabata sprints today at the gym on the treadmill. My sprints were 10 mph and I almost cried and felt like I was going to puke! haha Somehow I kept my intensity up until the last 20 second sprint.

I've only had the crying/almost puking reaction only once before today. Pretty intense.

My heart rate did seem to be lower during the inclined walking I did after the tabata sprints today compared to the walking I do after HIIT.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    What works best for me is to jog 1 mile over to the track as a warm up then sprint 100 yds down the straights and walk 50 yds, slow jog 50 yds around the corners and repeat 10 times. Then jog the 1 mile home.Challenging but seems to allow just the right amount of rest. I vary this once in a while by doing 200 yd sprints X 5 sets. Also once in a while I will sprint on the turf pulling a resistance sled - very intense!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    It seems no-one here knows what Tabata actually is (no offence!) Let me clear that up for you.
    The original scientific study was based on using a stationary bike for 8 cycles of 20/10 done 4x per week plus one session of what I suppose would be considered "chronic cardio". Nothing that anyone has described above actually conforms to the Tabata protocol. That is not to say it isn't beneficial, it just isn't Tabata.
    I always thought it was 2 times per week. Like every 3 days or something.

I use my elliptical, though I am not consistent, but going to focus on that, thus my snooping around over here on the fitness threads.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12