Thread: I Need a Coconut Oil Guide page

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member

I Need a Coconut Oil Guide

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went to grab some more coconut oil today (man, I go through that stuff), and they had the same brand but "refined" on sale for about half price compared to the Organic Virgin Unrefined Platinum Plated Diamond Encrusted jar I usually get. So I got it. Nutrition labels are 100% identical. What's the difference? Is refined any better/worse than Virgin Organic Unrefined?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Refined does not have the coconutty aroma and flavor of unrefined. Otherwise, I think they are pretty comparable.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Mark doesnt seem to know either.

here he lambasts the refined stuff: Coconut Oil Health Benefits | Mark's Daily Apple

but here he says its good to go: Is Psyllium Husk Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    It seems to me pretty clearly that he doesn't necesarilly condone all types of refined coconut oil, but only the ones that are refined via expeller press. So it really depends on what kind of refinement it's been through.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I agree. It depends on what kind of refinement process the CO has gone through. For cooking or on steamed vegetables I use Specrtum Organic Cold expeler pressed coconut oil as it doesn't have the flavor of coconut which I don't like with my meats, eggs or veggies. If I make the occasional dessert treat then I use the extra virgin type.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    It seems to me pretty clearly that he doesn't necesarilly condone all types of refined coconut oil, but only the ones that are refined via expeller press. So it really depends on what kind of refinement it's been through.
    Good point. Definitely avoid oil that is RBD (refined, bleached, deoderized) as this process involves some nasty chemicals (like hexane, if I recall correctly).

Quick Google search brought up this: How To Choose A Good Coconut Oil | Food Renegade

I have personally tried Spectrum refined (pretty sure it is marked as expeller pressed), Nutiva, and Tropical Traditions Gold Label, the last two both have excellent coconut flavor. There are plenty of threads on coconut oil in general on this forum, but I'm not sure there is an answer to your specific question about nutritional differences in refined versus virgin. Maybe a good question to email to Mark.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 09-18-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I have no idea how this was refined. The ingredients are just Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and nothing else. I'm not very concerned either way; I'll just be buying more within 2 weeks or so anyway...

redskater is offline Junior Member
    I use the Spectrum expeller pressed oil as well since I don't like the taste of the other on most foods. Just make sure the one you get the expeller pressed if it's refined. something to do with the heating process I believe.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    There's lots of great info on Tropical Traditions' website about how CO is processed and what the differences are. I go through so much CO that I buy it by the gallon along with shredded coconut (in bulk also). It's just cheaper for me to buy it that way for were I live and what's available locally.